I couldn't highlight text to copy and paste

22 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you all for trying the Outlook.com Beta! I just wanted to let you all know that there was indeed a bug which prevented copy/paste in a few cases. These fixes have since been deployed, and you should no longer be experiencing these problems.

Thanks for all of the reports, and please keep the feedback coming!

David Los

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very difficult to highlight subject when copy/pasting.

• Muhammed Rifat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Include the highlight text function like you could do before. This is the basic of basics. If the old one did it the new one should too. How are you meant to copy text out of an email?

• keeganmcinroe@live.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of the time, I cannot highlight text to copy it. This is most annoying and inconvenient. Anyone have a suggestion to help me?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I dont like the fact that I cannot highlight and copy from an email such as another link details within an email message

• dclewis101@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to copy and paste text from emails, such as tracking numbers, why is the ability to highlight and copy text not available?? Also, I would like to be able to drag and drop attachments.

• Kenneth Butch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook beta;
    In IE this is not a problem. In Edge it is a problem. I often cannot block a phrase to cut/copy or change its color. A work-round that I found on-line is to open Hotmail within a different tab. This workaround means there is a problem somewhere that needs to be addresses by someone. I leave that to you to get it addressed somehow.

• paulcossavella@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the new Beta programme, I keep mails in drafts until I need to send. When amending these drafts the type is extremely slow,so much so that you cannot type too quickly as you cannot see what has been typed. In addition you cannot highlight individual words or sentences to cut or copy or maybe change the font. These things need correcting

• Henry Catherwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Copying (and then Pasting) text from previous emails, when replying, seems to be, no longer available.

• Lee Penn M.F.C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have noticed and tried to cut and paste using the mouse and this does don't happen.there are times when i dont want to right click and select all....

can this not be changed ????

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I'm writing an email to send, I can't highlight a word, or a sentence, so I can cut and paste it, or just highlight it delete it, or whatever..

• Henry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had issue trying to select a line to copy part of the content of an email to paste it in a new email.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I liked the new version, but for some reason I couldn't highlight text within an email (in order to copy & paste etc.) so I switched back to the previous version

• b_redeker@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the "old interface", I can select a word in a mail (eg a tracking number or a name or even the whole text) to copy/paste it into another site.

In the beta, this does not work with mails with HTML formatting; mails without HTML are fine, and words can be selected.

Please fix this; for now the workaround is to go back to the old interface.

The new Outlook.com: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base