OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

I liked the old hotmail from the late nineties better.

Hotmail keeps getting more non-user friendly with each update. There's no need for Focused and Other folders. The constant pop-ups to announce new mail is annoying. I've also had mail to inadvertently disappear into the Deleted folder while I'm trying to read it. I used to get emails to announce appointments from the Calendar. Now I just get a temporary pop-up that I often miss. Also, I cannot delete old contacts that I no longer wish to have. Please let me have the version from the late nineties when Hotmail was use-friendly.

559 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gina Stevens shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off the following: Conversation View, Reading Pane (set to Hide), Sender Image (these are the colored initial circles), Group by Date (these are the date headers in the message list), and finally Attachment Preview.

Once these are off, the view should look VERY similar to the old experience.

Again please keep the feedback coming, the entire team is reviewing every submission and we are working on bringing additional improvements.

Some of these include, Density settings (this will help those that want a more compact view), updated spam/junk settings, Chat improvements, and much much more.

Thanks again for using Outlook.com!

David Los

56 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jean Hudson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dec 2018
    Hate the new hotmail which has been forced upon me. Much more confusing . Some folders need a lot of nudging. What are the benefits ,if any?

• Frank Chang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about fixing the completely useless junk mail filter system? Gmail has a far better spam filter that learns what spam is and traps 99.99% of effectively. On Hotmail I get the same useless completely obvious spam that is completely unable to be blocked in hotmail. I get dozens of obvious spam per day. This is completely unacceptable and should be an easy fix, to allow blocking of entire domains if I wish. I get tons of email from various variations of subdomains of russian, african, and other countries email domains, it is insane. Why won't you allow blocking of entire domains?????

• Maggie Rogers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been with this e-mail service since the original Hotmail days and do not really see any improvement in the functionality in the subsequent versions. Newest beta version is the worst. Some features that are supposed to be included according to the beta user manual are not there - i.e. the Move all e-mail from... feature is supposed to be on the "Move to" drop down menu. It is not.

• Deeman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The biggest problem with this ****** app/live.com is that u can't check the headers of emails. So ineffect MSN has taken away perfectly valid features from an awesome app!!

• Meghan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I really hate this version of Hotmail. I keep trying to figure out how to forward my emails to another server but it's impossible to figure out how to deal with my settings. I just wrote a long email over the course of 25 minutes, then the screen suddenly deleted the whole thing. When I went into drafts, only the first paragraph was saved.

I tried to find an email I received in less than a week ago, I couldn't find it anywhere using my mobile device using the search option, couldn't find it by doing a manual search, and had to open a laptop to find it using the search with no explanation as to which folder it is living in.

This version is NOT mobile friendly, it's very difficult to write emails, receive emails, open emails without it being clear the email is part of a thread. I just really hate this and wish I haven't been using hotmail for over a decade because my email address is so ingrained in my general communications. It is just awful.

• hs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ive had Hotmail since 1997 it used to be great now its terrible!!!! I agree 150%

• Julian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The last version of Hotmail was fine.

Easy to read layout with plenty of colour and shading to distinguish elements / panels - and separate Inbox items.

Text was actually readable unlike the pale grey all over Outlook.com

Plenty of content visible - NOT acres of empty, glaring white space - making grey text even harder to read.

Hotmail navigation was much clearer.
    Most used nav was actually visible - instead of under 3 dots (wt*?) - e.g. Print and Mark Unread

Compose now includes auto-formatting. I do NOT want auto bullets - or B) to become a smiley !

• Charlotte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hotmail was so good and it's set up set it apart as well, I never would have thought of going anywhere else as I could see everything in one place with my folders and incoming emails then when you clicked on it email it opened up fully and you no longer had incoming emails etc. which you no longer needed because you'd clicked to see one email which made sense.

This set up looks like it's trying to be an app or social media which doesn't suit what you want your email to be on your computer. Your app is good but these changes are making the main web page so much harder to use and frustrating.

Google started using symbols instead of word for the action buttons - I love that hotmail kept the words for what the buttons do so you know where you are and what your using - please keep your set up easy to use and keep the functions so that we can organise ourselves stop dividing our inbox and organising it yourself, and stop with the giant writing so we can't see everything that's come in. With the pop ups and notifications it just seems like your making us scroll and click so much more to be able to use and read our emails - why make things more complicated and harder to use??? Especially when people have far more in their inbox.

• Bettina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hotmail was strange; I had to use it for years at an old job, but I never had a Hotmail account personally. I did not know so many people actually liked it! I did like Hotmail's search feature a LOT ... this had been also a way to help me file the older mails, and research the new ones.

• Icaro Santos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, bring back the OLD INTERFACE of HOTMAIL. Was LIGHTER and FASTER for brazilians internet. Beta has a lot of unnecessary information on the interface that make it slow and havier. Isnt runnig well on PC's used to work, that hasnt good and expensive components.

Please, bring back the OLD INTERFACE of HOTMAIL. Was LIGHTER and FASTER for brazilians internet. Beta has a lot of unnecessary information on the interface that make it slow and havier. Isnt runnig well on PC's used to work, that hasnt good and expensive components.

PLEASE! bring back the good old hotmail! that has not a lot of information on the screen, with the simple and minimalist interface!!!

PLEASE! bring back the good old hotmail! that has not a lot of information on the screen, with the simple and minimalist interface!!!

• shagsy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what is supposed to be the advantage of two inboxes?
    I just find it irritating.

• Kav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very simply, your webmail system has got progressively more bloated, slow and has lost focus of what is actually for.
    Email is not a social media platform, it should not try to mimic them. we don't need colours or photos of the senders to know who has sent us stuff. We don't need to have only 10 lines of email displayed instead of 20 because you've decided there needs to be more white space on the screen and emails separated by the day they arrived (we could all easily read the date they arrived more than happily.)
    We shouldn't have to click on menus or hover over things to display the most common of functions such as print or select email.
    We don't need cosy little pictorial icons instead of the actual words such as "reply", funnily enough if we're reading and writing emails we can actually read the words rather than guess what the icons mean.
    Emails are not conversations, there should always been the option to not be forced to read them as a conversation.
    There is so much wrong with Hotmail (sorry, Outlook) now that I only log in when really pushed to do so. All other interaction is done via an app on the phone (not the Outlook one, as that's a mess too)

← Previous 1 3

The new Outlook.com: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base