OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Expand the 'move to' list of folders, and also add New Folder

Users need to have the ability to move emails to any folders, not just the few shown when you click on 'move to'. The current version of Outlook allows you to expand the folder list so users can find the folder they want to move emails to, but the beta version got rid of that function.

4,207 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminPhilip Loh (Outlook Web Advocate, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Update November 2017:

We recently updated the Move to dropdown (in the command bar) and the Move to context menu item to prioritize your most-recently used folders. We believe this is an improvement that you will prefer over the fixed alphabetized list.

To create a new folder, simply use the New folder item in the folder pane.

Please enjoy the rest of Outlook.com!

245 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I REALLY dislike having to type in the name of a folder in the search when I want to move a message to a folder. I need a browse-able list to choose from because I can't always remember all the names of my folders.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree and I would also keep the latest folder on the top of the list as it is presently possible.

• Martin M Fogel Jr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely need the ability to Move to subfolders by either clicking on a recently used folder/subfolder or browsing to the desired folder/subfolder.

• Malcolm Ogden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like that you don't see the most recent folders in the dropdown list when you try and move an email to a folder.

Not being able to see the list of folders is VERY VERY annoying. Bring back the list or just scrap the regressive 'upgrade'.

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not being able to move to a sub folder is a deal breaker and will force me back to Gmail. And I still find it hard to believe we don't have a send and file option so I can have it go to the folder I need it to the same time I send the email.

• Bill Burch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amen to that. Tried using it and my folder was not on the "Favorite folders list and wouldn't allow the transfer.

• andnat3@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How soon will we see the update? I move emails to different folders on a daily basis and I miss having the most recent accessible at the top.

• Franco Daniel Fortuna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really love that when a search a folder in the "move to" panel. If there is only one folder with that name, just click Enter and drop the mail into that folder <3

• Diane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this needs more thought. I do like the ability to search for a folder rather than having to navigate through the list as in the previous iteration of Outlook. However, I would expect (a) that the folder I've just used then appears in the list of folders which drops down when you click on 'move' - at the moment it seems that the list is static (although it does include a couple of folders I've used in the last few days) and (b) that the option to create a new folder at this point be reinstated - having to go through some other process (I haven't tried it yet) to manage folders/create a new folder and then navigate back to the message(s) you want to move can be frustrating, especially if you've identified those messages via a search [and that is another issue ... :) ]

• Joelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's no option to add a folder... ? At least not in the "move to" box

• Francisco Antonio Alba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Senti falta da opção "mover tudo de...". Na versão antiga havia esta opção, pela qual era possível mover todos os e-mails de um determinado remetente de uma só vez para uma certa pasta. Na versão beta não há esta opção. Voltei para a versão antiga e surpresa, também não tem mais a opção de mover tudo. Aguardo atualizações para poder ter uma melhor experiencia com relação a esta funcionalidade do Outlook.com

For instance, I have several sub-folders with the same name, and I can't know which one is attached to the relevant folder with the new format. It makes it impossible to work with the new format.

• cori schlegel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For some reason a commonly-used Move To target in my inbox is now appearing in the move to dropdown, whereas others are not. This would be fine if I had a sense of why that one's in there and others aren't and if I could reproduce it to get my other frequently-moved-to folders in the list.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base