OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Expand the 'move to' list of folders, and also add New Folder

Users need to have the ability to move emails to any folders, not just the few shown when you click on 'move to'. The current version of Outlook allows you to expand the folder list so users can find the folder they want to move emails to, but the beta version got rid of that function.

4,207 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminPhilip Loh (Outlook Web Advocate, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Update November 2017:

We recently updated the Move to dropdown (in the command bar) and the Move to context menu item to prioritize your most-recently used folders. We believe this is an improvement that you will prefer over the fixed alphabetized list.

To create a new folder, simply use the New folder item in the folder pane.

Please enjoy the rest of Outlook.com!

246 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • andnat3@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, it's been a month since it was said there would be an update that "improves the Move experience"... and for a few days, I had the folders I needed in the drop-down box, but now they're not there, all of a sudden and I have to search. Not convenient. I know there's the drag and drop option, but I'm almost always IN the email I want to move. When can we expect this to be fixed? I miss that feature and use it several times a day - I liked the way it was, before.

• Donnell Sutherland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use several folders repeatedly, but they only show up in the list once I've gone back in to the folder. I have to otherwise search for the same folder several times in a given session

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without a folder tree from which to select, folder names can be ambiguous. I have two folders named "JLB" (initials of a friend who is also a co-worker) in different branches of my folder tree. When I try to move to folder "JLB", I am shown two indistinguishable choices. This alone makes Move unusable.

• Boo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly agree with previous comments from others that the beta interface's shortened "Move to" menu is a serious mistake. While I realize that it is possible to drag and drop messages into folders, I find dragging and dropping less convenient and more prone to error than the old, non-beta menu. At a minimum, please give users the ability to add specific folders *persistently* to the "Move to" menu, or simply return the menu to its previous functionality.

• Oscar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like that in Beta I have to search for all but 5 folders when I click the Move To drop down. What I liked about the original functionality is that it would remember my most recent/most frequently used folders so I didn't have to constantly search.

• Louise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This function does not work well for me. Finding and adding folders is a chore. It was so easy before.

• Sidharth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have to agree that the 'Move all emails from sender to xxxx' folder was my favourite feature. Turning off beta cause without that I wouldn't even use Outlook.

• rebecca gernert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like having the most recent used folders in the shortcut. The other option would be to select which folders should be in the shortcut.

• Jim M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hard to image the beta version removed and reduced the move to list. I turned off the beta version because of this shortcoming.

• Sebastian Gregoricchio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Moreover I don't find anymore the really useful thing of "For this sender move all e-mails and future emails in..." (or something like that)

The old version also showed recently moved-to folders. The beta does not and I have to search to find the folders I want. Very inefficient.

• Bunny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am slowly but surely getting my head around the beta version but why not leave the 'move to' the same as the pre-beta version. It worked well without any problems.

Yes, please! In the old version, when I have selected emails and then go to "move to", I see the most used (or most recently used, not sure) folders directly on top. I'd like to get that functionality back. It's really annoying when you have to start typing the name of the folder every single time.

• Matthew Routt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also have this problem in the beta. It is one of the problems blocking me from using the beta full time.

I hope so... Hate it when I have numerous items to move to the same folder and it does not save what I had, like the previous version. Also there is no ability to tick the similar email to put into same folder either. These were good tools previously, WHY delete them for goodness sakes? I wish I had of went with a different host email now..... I had an outlook one for years.

• busy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. My use of the beta lasted all of 20 seconds, then I realised I couldn't move the first email in the list to one of many folders because I couldn't remember the exact name of it. Not good for busy people.

It's not long since we were all dumped off the previous build. I miss the fact that we don't have 'pages' any more - they really helped with bulk delete.

Also, while I'm here, it's asking too much that a 'vote' for one of these suggestions incurs a subscription to an email follow list. Too busy to be following build management threads, subscription/following should be optional.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base