OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Expand the 'move to' list of folders, and also add New Folder

Users need to have the ability to move emails to any folders, not just the few shown when you click on 'move to'. The current version of Outlook allows you to expand the folder list so users can find the folder they want to move emails to, but the beta version got rid of that function.

4,207 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminPhilip Loh (Outlook Web Advocate, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Update November 2017:

We recently updated the Move to dropdown (in the command bar) and the Move to context menu item to prioritize your most-recently used folders. We believe this is an improvement that you will prefer over the fixed alphabetized list.

To create a new folder, simply use the New folder item in the folder pane.

Please enjoy the rest of Outlook.com!

244 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Maurice del Prado Jr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agree. "Move to" button in beta only shows short, fixed list. Pre-beta version showed previously used 10 or so folders. I've not switched to the beta for this reason alone.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that we do not need all these complications. Just make it as easy as it was or better: RETURN TO an old format and familiar signs and signals and processes.

The way you have it now is INSANE!

• Sue Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Loathe this version. Cluttered, messy, pointless colours. As for the contacts page - what is wrong with simplicity? All those colours instead of a simple, easy to access list. Give people the option of keeping the original version, rather than this mess.

• Anand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring back the list of recent folders to which mails were moved recently rather than the folders which were accessed recently which seems to be the case now.

• Gaby Juarez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also keep the ability to create rules when moving your items to a specific folder.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the search function here and would like that to stay, as long as the list of folders is updated each time to show the most frequently used folders. Also, when you search if you have 2 folders with the same name it doesn't differentiate them based on hierarchy of folders. Example: I have my kids names as separate folders under a School folder and a Sports folder.

• Bryan Alvarez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring the last 6 or 8 choices to the top and leave them there until you choose a new move location like the old version. This is a big help when you handle lots of email.

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The short list of folders to move to includes a folder I last added to in 2005 and does not include a folder I move stuff to maybe 5 times a week. Expanding the list would be great - allowing me to control the list of folders would be great - using an algorithm that says "maybe lets not show this old folder" would be great. What it is today would not be great. thanks.

• Dawna Maud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have tried many times to get my calendar to stay in my focus instead of the other.

• nickytje@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when clicking on "move to" you can search for folders when you start typeing it's in reverse order, if you type hallo the text is ollah

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base