OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Expand the 'move to' list of folders, and also add New Folder

Users need to have the ability to move emails to any folders, not just the few shown when you click on 'move to'. The current version of Outlook allows you to expand the folder list so users can find the folder they want to move emails to, but the beta version got rid of that function.

4,207 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminPhilip Loh (Outlook Web Advocate, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Update November 2017:

We recently updated the Move to dropdown (in the command bar) and the Move to context menu item to prioritize your most-recently used folders. We believe this is an improvement that you will prefer over the fixed alphabetized list.

To create a new folder, simply use the New folder item in the folder pane.

Please enjoy the rest of Outlook.com!

244 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To all the haters - I like the recent folders method we now have. I would like an option somewhere to decide on the number listed though.

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Am struggling with the Outlook interface - the 'dropping down' tree facility in Thunderbird was better for filing emails; for me anyway.

The move to in the new beta only shows a small selection of my folders and I cant add more or scroll down. I only moved to Beta because I was getting no pulldown menus at all before using Chrome and Windows 10. finding it all a struggle now.

• Heather Sweeting commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

'Move to' in Outlook still doesn't work - the 'drop down' doesn't! It was ok as it was now no access to folders and groups of emails unable to be filed together! If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the old "Move To" feature where the subfolders are not listed until you ask for them to be expanded

I accidentally dragged a folder into another folder. I can't find a way to drag the folder back out of the other folder. It should be easier to drag and drop folders where you want them.

• Michael Mihuc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I follow the comments of most here... I think if you can implement Categories that would help, a lot!!!

• Zoë commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is proving to be a real problem for me as I have so many sub folders which I can't remember the names of and dragging & dropping isn't an option either.
    I think this is a real step backwards and really need an option to open up all of the folders available please!

• rctills@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was surprised at first that the "More" button was no longer there, just a fixed list of recent folders. But I can drag the email to the intended folder. It takes a little adjustment in my thinking. I still would like to see the "More" button return. I like choices.

• yuenyt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is difficult to point to the intended folder in the expanded drop down list of folders (for moving the email) as the list will scroll when the cursor moves within the list to try to point to the intended folder.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enlarging the size of the "move items" pop up window. I have many folders (with sub-folders), and it would be better if the pop up window can be enlarged to view all my folders, not just 13 of the 40 plus folders I currently have.

Just bring back the "More..." folders option in the "Move To".
    I do not want to use the keyboard to type in the folder I want to send to.
    Thanks

• Floyd Menagh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

looks the same to me. nothings changed. ok in regular email, but not in beta still no way to move email to folders without typing the folder in first

• jakerthequaker@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Philip, appreciate your response, but the point was missed. There is still no way to move email into folders not in the dropdown list. Don't need to create folders, just be able to move items.

For people who have many folders and use "move to" command often would be much convenient and time saving to have all folders visible at once (with scroll button for example) without clicking on "more" or expend etc. It is really annoying when you have to sort many e-mails and you always need to click "more" because you use more "most-recently used" folders then is on the list. And it's not only for the beta, as someone said earlier very old version was the best.

• Nabil Naccache commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally I do not see this as an improvement; more like a regression.
    Now I'll have to look first at the top of the prioritized list, and if it's not there start searching elsewhere. I see no value in this complicated scenario. Normally we do not have *that many* folders that warrant a prioritized list. Stick to alphabetical list of folders, and save the cpu cycles for smarter things. Keep it simple!

• kapetersonxxx@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Beta version is to "cure". Older version was more functional and easy to use as discussed in many comments below. Truncated "move to" list is a big deficiency in the Beta version.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base