OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Expand the 'move to' list of folders, and also add New Folder

Users need to have the ability to move emails to any folders, not just the few shown when you click on 'move to'. The current version of Outlook allows you to expand the folder list so users can find the folder they want to move emails to, but the beta version got rid of that function.

4,207 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminPhilip Loh (Outlook Web Advocate, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Update November 2017:

We recently updated the Move to dropdown (in the command bar) and the Move to context menu item to prioritize your most-recently used folders. We believe this is an improvement that you will prefer over the fixed alphabetized list.

To create a new folder, simply use the New folder item in the folder pane.

Please enjoy the rest of Outlook.com!

244 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rita B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why has the ability to scroll down a list of folders been removed when you are trying to move emails to specific folders? I hate having to type in the name of the folder each time! I just want to scroll down the entire list of folders I've made.

• Frank Boggio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't move messages to my folders, only a few you show, no way to tell it to move to a folder of my choice. New Outlook is worthless to me.

• trevor t commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So far, I don't like it because I don't want to have to type in a word every time I move an email to one of my folders.

And another thing I don't like is the coloured icons on each email. I find that useless and very distracting.

• Lisa Bechtold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Working on web based Outlook tried Beta, first time I tried to move email to organizational hierarchy of folders it won't allow. Switching back.

• Atsuko Sibuya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it doesn't look like I can move emails to the folder of my choice from the MOVE drop-down list - I have to drag emails to the appropriate folder. More cumbersome

• BDM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When selecting messages to move to specific folders the "see more folders" options is missing. You must type into the new search bar the "folder name" you want to select. Great if you remember the exact name of your folder.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am unable to move a message from my Inbox to a specified folder of my choice. There is not an option for "More"

• rpgman@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The move to your different folders doesn't have a MORE tab so you can see and roll through your folders to see where you want to move the it

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I go to move an email, I want my last used list presented and my ability to create a new folder on the fly....

• Richard Cunha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The move to folder needs to be memorized like before. Currently the whole thing appears to be built around looks and not practicality.

When I try to move an email to a particular folder, only a small number of folders are available in the drop down list. I could find no way to access more than a half dozen of my folders via the move function. For that reason, I had to switch back to the earlier version from the beta.

"Move to" gets worse and worse. Now I have to remember the folder name and key it in? You're kidding right? You no longer prompt to display all folders. Please display ALL folders then I click "Move to"

• g west commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

list all the folders in dropdown to move email, searching for it sucks. Looked at emails still showing as unread in deleted folder

• Gemma Levers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Beta - no move to a different folder in menu - don't understand why you have reversed the conversation view in reverse - short cut right click menu not as good as current options - no shortcut to pop out mail so have to reply in reading panel and double click or nothing opens it out to full screen. only one email signature and unable to add a picture to it.

• Глеб Гуринович commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Пусть строки в кнопке "Переместить в" сортируются по популярности, а не по алфавиту. У меня много подпапок, и нужные, не показывал...

• Francisco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The beta WEB version do not allow me to move an inbox message to a FOLDER which I have created. That is important to clasify emails in work.

• Majed Almasari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the old outlook interface, if I want to move an email to a specific folder that does not exist, usually I have an option to create the folder from the drop down upon filling the folder name if it does not exist. Try it in the old interface and you'll see what I mean.
    Now it is a hassle to move an email to freshly created folder, as you have to create the folder manually on the far left pane, then go back to the specific message after creating the folder, then move the email, a four step process that was done in one step in the old interface.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base