OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Expand the 'move to' list of folders, and also add New Folder

Users need to have the ability to move emails to any folders, not just the few shown when you click on 'move to'. The current version of Outlook allows you to expand the folder list so users can find the folder they want to move emails to, but the beta version got rid of that function.

4,207 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminPhilip Loh (Outlook Web Advocate, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Update November 2017:

We recently updated the Move to dropdown (in the command bar) and the Move to context menu item to prioritize your most-recently used folders. We believe this is an improvement that you will prefer over the fixed alphabetized list.

To create a new folder, simply use the New folder item in the folder pane.

Please enjoy the rest of Outlook.com!

242 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can you increase the number of folders from 10 to 20 or make is a customer configuration option in settings? I really would like to see more than 10, the 20 most recently used folders would be great.

Administration,
    Just fix the problem so the "move" drop down shows primary folders first with the collapsible drop down sub-folder option available.
    Or at least list them alphabetically.

• Sheldon Bowles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am posting this here at the suggestion of the wonderful people, Diana in particular, at Support:

Hi Diana,

I'm not sure if you are a real person, or just an amazingly good program picking up on key words and replying --- perhaps a mixture of both.

But, in the hope you are at least partly 'real' here is the issue. It is not being able to move an file in the new Beta version (I suppose that's what's been 'imposed' on me by Outlook 😞) it is that in the old version when I wanted to file an email and I went to 'Move To' it gave me 10 possibilities --- the 10 files I'd used most recently --- and at the bottom I could choose "More." Going to "More" opened a cascade of primary files, not the sub-files, so, for example there was my "Family" file and below it was "Family History" and below it was "Farm." Each of those primary files had sub-files, so if I wanted to file an email from my son I'd go to the "Family" file and click on it which would open a drop down menu of sub-files, 14 of them -- and I'd pick out my son's file, click on it and bingo -- done!

BUT in the new version the "More" option is gone and the option is "All Files" and when this is chosen all the files open (sometimes not in order) and in my case the number of files makes the list long, long, long. Because of the length, and no primary file showing as such (being differentiated in some way) it is VERY difficult to navigate especially as I have a substantial number of files. Tying to find a particular file is extraordinarily difficult. Is "George" the file with the phone #, is it the file for cousin George, or is it "George" the boat repair man's file, or might it be "George" who is writing a book and wants my advice. In the cascade system ---- that "More" brought up --- it was clear if I opened the Phone # file "George" was for his phone #, if I opened the Family primary file, it was clear "George" as cousin George, If I opened the primary file Cottage, and then went to Boats, and under it "Boat Restoration" it was clear this "George" was the boat man and if I went to the primary file "Books" and opened the cascade under it, then it was clear I was filing an email in the file of the guy who wanted help.

The "More" gave me access to files in a very similar way the left side of the screen gives me access. On the left, sub-files are indented, with "More" they had the primary file headings and cascade menus. Either way it is clear. But, on the "All Files" choice on the new Outlook template when I open it I have a dog's breakfast of files with NO indication when I move from one primary file to another --- and as I said, even when I figure that out, sometimes they are a bit scrambled. Sorry this is so long -- but I wanted to be as clear as I could about this problem. I'm sure many others must also be frustrated.
    Thanks! Sheldon

• Ilker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why "Move Items" windows comes collapsed and every time that I need to move an e-mail via ctrl+shift+v, I need to expand folders? In the past, I can able to type folder name and press enter to move e-mail.

Now I need to manually click folder to expand it.

Getting harder instead of easier!

• Jm wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trust me. It still does not work. Do not presume to prioritize and put all the folders there. If the Folder does not appear, neither selecting All Folders (which shows them for a split second then uselessly closes) nor trying to write in the name will work. There is no way to move an email into an infrequently used folder. This function is broken.

• GP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Outlook 2016 fully updated to 18th Oct 2018, when using move (from context menu or drop down from ribbon) and selecting "other folder" it is taking 10-15 seconds for the list to come up.

During that time one CPU core seems to be fully pegged and the blue busy circle mouse icon shows. After a few seconds Outlook can show "not responding" and most of the Outlook window blanks.

On this PC there are probably hundreds of folders. It has been a problem in the past, went away, and then became a problem again in the last week of so.

PC has SSD and is otherwise working well and responsive.

upgrade 11Oct18, now takes 20-30 seconds for Move To window to open to show list of Folders - previous was near instantaneous - how do I fix this?

• b_p_mackie@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Move To no longer works - please fix ASAP! When I choose Move and my list of folders shows, it does not expand to sub-folders and does not allow me to move items to sub-folders of folders. UGH!@

• Lori Ann De Bokx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Moving mail to Folders - I don't like how you've changed the way the folders show up under the "Move to" directory. They are extremely hard to follow because it is not in the same order as they are listed. The folders & sub folders used to be indented on the sub folders so you could see which ones were under the main folders... now I have no clue because they don't show up properly. It's awful.

• Oliver Baumann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using the 'move to' please expand all folders and subfolder so you can use one letter on the keyboard to jump to the folder starting with that letter. This is currently not possible as all subfolders are wrapped up under the main folders. So simple have them fully expanded. Additionally give the option for the function in the options section so everyone can use current or my suggestion.

Thanks

• jwestervelt82@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When moving e-mails to folders, the list of All Folders is not indented in any way to show the subfolders so it makes it extremely hard to see where my main folders and subfolders are in order to organize. It is making me want to take everything out of subfolders just so I can find everything easier and I DON'T want to have to do that. Also, I tried to make a subfolder into a main folder and couldn't find any way to do it other than to make a brand new main folder and move everything from the subfolder to the main folder. This is very unnecessary as well. There should be a more simple way to be able to do these things.

• philipsvarghese1@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Before the update, when you tried to move an email to a different folder, you could actually see the 'structure' of the folder, i.e. if a folder was 'nested' inside another folder, you could see that 'tree', but now you can't. It is just a straight-line 'list', so it becomes difficult to figure out where the folder is. PLEASE bring back the previous option!!

• Mickey Sheets commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MOVE TO - I cannot find sub-folders quickly when attempting to move an email. I have to go through ALL folders to find the one I want, or drag the email to the folder on the left side of the window. Why the change?

I'll add my voice to this. I've been wanting to expand this list for a long time and haven't found a way to do it. Please make this a user-defined variable!. If I could, I'd make the list show my last 50 folders!

I'm with everyone else re: the need to expand the list displayed when selecting Move. I just went to Office Professional Plus 2016 and I see only my last 5. On Office Professional Plus 2013 I saw my last 10. I've searched all over to see how to change 2016 to allow 10 like 2013 and I'm failing.

The "Move to" menu doesn't drop down either when an email is selected in the list of emails, or when viewing an open email. The only way I can move an email is to drag it from the list to a folder on the left.

This is in Chrome. Maybe it works in other browsers.

To all the haters - I like the recent folders method we now have. I would like an option somewhere to decide on the number listed though.

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Am struggling with the Outlook interface - the 'dropping down' tree facility in Thunderbird was better for filing emails; for me anyway.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base