OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

In the beta version, "Create rule..." from message is not available. Bummer.

When I get an email, in the existing version of outlook web, I can just select the message and "Create rule..."
to send that message to a folder or forward it to another email ID

In outlook.com Beta, I do not see that feature.

688 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  Adminthconsta (Admin, Outlook.com) responded  · 

We’re happy to say “Create rule” from a message is now in the beta! Same as the regular version, simply right-click on any message and select this option. You can also view your entire list of rules (including those you created in your regular Outlook) by going into Full settings > Mail > Rules.

Currently you can only create a rule to move messages from selected senders to a folder, however, more options are coming soon!

31 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • sophie.vanboeijen@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rules allowing you to move email messages automatically are not working in the new version. The rule created in the old version is working but not the rules created in the new version. This is a big issue!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Creating a rule to FORWARD email is essential, unless you're insistent that people use Outlook only as the One Email Server To Rule Them All. That's so 1998/AOL.

• André Schmid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rules are too simple and not editable.
    You just ask to create based on a e-mail and then the outlook decides the filter and just give you the option to move to another folder.
    On Configuration->Rules you cannot edit, just delete.
    I think you should have this simple way, but with an advanced option to do configure everything about the Rule you are creating.

• cehesse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't seem to be able to create a rule from the Rules option. I can do it on the current version but not the beta. Seems to be lacking a basic function here.

It's great to have the option of creating rules to filter what comes through your inbox. However I have a great number of mailing lists I'm signed up for, which I'd like to be delivered to a designated folder. There appears to be some arbitrary limit as to the number of rules you can have, and once that limit is reached it starts bumping off the oldest rules to add a new rule. This is extremely unhelpful. What would be more helpful than 500 individual rules, would be an option to have a rule so all mail from a certain category (newsletters, say), would be delivered to the folder of my choosing.

Being able to create rules is great, but I am signed up to numerous newsletters, which I would like to all go into a different folder rather than my inbox. However there seems to be a cap on rules, so I keep cycling through, deleting ones that have been bumped off as I try to add more. It's extremely frustrating that there's not a way to have all newsletters automatically moved to the desired location.

Being able to create rules is great, but I am signed up to numerous newsletters, which I would like to all go into a different folder rather than my inbox. However there seems to be a cap on rules, so I keep cycling through, deleting ones that have been bumped off as I try to add more. It's extremely frustrating that there's not a way to have all newsletters automatically moved to the desired location.

• Moku commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its nice that you can move messages via rules now, but I need to forward messages. How do I do that with the beta?

• David Ramos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For now it is only showing inbox rules, not cleaning rules, and it is not allowing edition from there. It is still needed to go back to normal version instead of beta for updates or checks on whether I already added a cleaning rule or not.

• Poba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have feature. It the reason why i prefer outlook to any other email service provider. please add it back.

• MelindaB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, please fix the rules feature--I've had many emails that had rules set up for sorting them into folders, only to have them end up in the junk folder instead. In at least one case, one of these was deleted while I was on vacation and unable to check my email.

• Waterbird 4222 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you also bring back the option of selecting multiple messages and not having the move & delete options grayed out. That was a great feature previous to beta that one day up & disappeared.

• pierre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you very much for this very answer ! So i'm reassured. This is THE functionnality for time saving :) For me it's not a problem : I have already all ruled ^^

This was the first thing I looked for! It's crucial to how I organise my emails.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't even find rules in the beta, searching quick settings in the beta has NOTHING for rules, if prompts you to go to full settings, this still has no rules!

You've got to be kidding. The rules feature is integral to Outlook. I cannot even find my existing rules in the beta.

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even your 'vote' is rigged. I won't to give Beta a thumbs down, but the only vote I'm allowed is in favour!

← Previous 1

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base