OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Rename folder does not work

Right click on a folder dropdown allows rename, but it does not work. Also, the folder name is right justified, it should be left justified

73 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Byron and Sally Prinzmetal shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

77 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • katieg9 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying to delete or re-name folders in my outlook account and when I right click I get nothing? Not helpful!

• Cherie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recently I found out one of my folders was actually a system created folder which I accidentally renamed years ago. Now I cannot rename it or change it back to its original name. There should be an option to rename your system created folders or revert them back to their original name

• Cap'n commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't rename any folders in Favorites, so I moved it out of Favorites, renamed it, and then added it back. Problem solved (for me at least!) Good luck!

• Uoc MNLA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Possible causes: It's been used on Mac with Safari.

My solution for that case: To close Microsoft Outlook on the Safari browser and open the Chrome browser, sign in again and perform the operations.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is happening to me for a long time.......ready to switch to a different email if I can't manage my files. To not be able to rename a folder is crazy! Please help!

• David Burton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was able to rename folders, but only after selecting at least 1 item in that folder, then right click, rename.

• anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's so frustrating - I can't add a new folder, move folders, nor rename them!! I wonder why I'm paying for MS Office quite honestly

Hello.
    I had the same issue. I could not rename files on the left column.

Once I selected More, all files were in alphabetical order.

I selected a folder right clicked and was able to rename.

Hope that helps. : )

Im having the same issues, it has been going on for as long as I have had Outlook, it is intermittent. Mac w/Safari

Yes, it is still happening! The dropdown menu options do NOT work. It is impossible to organize emails without these dropdown menus working! I have a Hotmail account and use a Macbook w/Safari to log into Outlook.

• Anoymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I always have issues with renaming folder, or any other functions besides create a new folder with outlook using Mac. Getting really frustrated as it happened again and again. Out of unlimited times, I ONLY able to change once last year by just pointing the cursor to the folder i want to change and the drop down menu works. Otherwise, no matter you use double click or right click or option+touch pad, nothing works.

I use a Mac with Safari to log into Outlook/Hotmail. I too cannot rename any of my folders. Though highlighting the folder, then clicking on control+command+touchpad reveals a menu of options (just like before), I am unable to scroll down to use any of them, one of which is "rename" [folder].

Unable to rename folders. I have Outlook synced to my phone, lap top and iPad, and I continuously get an error msg from Outlook, that folders in my mail box conflict and I need to rename the folder, however I don't have an option to do that through my web browser.

• Jm wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this must be fixed. When I right click on a folder, I can change the name successfully.
    (Unfortunately I can't actually use that folder because it is not on the shortened Move list, and All Folders does not work. ...)

• outlook_A42DC6AFC6986753@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I have multiple accounts on outlook.com and when I select the favorite for the other inboxes, it appears as capitalized INBOX.

It would be great if we can rename these folders like in Outlook so they can read "gmail inbox" "yahoo inbox" etc.

My Archive folder is renamed as Finance because of some reason and I cant change it back to archive.

• joanmarie24 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is STILL happening on October 1, 2018. I was unable to rename and delete an empty folder PLEASE FIX THIS!!!! I am using Hotmail on Windows 10 on a Dell using Chrome

• Nicolas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give the option to change the name of the folders of the other connected accounts. I have 2 additional accounts connected and all the folders in the inbox, sent, drafts and bins have the same name. It is difficult to differentiate them.

← Previous 1 3 4

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base