OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Search results do not show what folder a message is in

In the previous version of Outlook, there was a column to show in what folder the message was found. Now it only displays the list of messages. Due to this, there is no way to know if the messages displayed are in Deleted Items, Inbox, Outbox, or custom folders. This is a pretty important feature for keeping emails organized.

The "top results" makes search results more confusing. About 98% of the time I'm seeking a message from a sender and enter that into the search box. I don't need "top results" such as what an internet search performs. Just show them in the order (or reverse order) of receipt like a mail program should do and has done (including Outlook/Hotmail) for decades.

314 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Majestyx shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

70 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Am I missing something? 8 months after Admin posted that search results now show folder tags, I can't see them. I can find the option to search a specific folder, but if I'm searching an entire mailbox , with sub-folders enabled in the search, the results don't show the folder location.

• robmm76 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook just gets worse and worse. Now, when I search for a sender, you no longer tell me which folder the message is in. This makes it very difficult to check whether all the messages are in the correct folder.

• Oliver Sahr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the current Outlook.com beta I see the folder name below each search results.
    So is this feature completed?

In the current Outlook.com beta I see the folder name below each search results.

Before you changed the email system, each email identified in a search said which folder it was in (i.e. Inbox, Deleted, Drafts, etc.).
    This was extremely useful.
    Please fix the new system so that emails located in a search say which folder they're in.
    Thanks.
    Bob James

Before you changed the email system, each email identified in a search said which folder it was in (i.e. Inbox, Deleted, Drafts, etc.).
    Please fix the new system so that emails located in a search say which folder they're in.
    Thanks.
    Bob James

Thanks.
    Bob James

• Bernard M Gracie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For God's sake, allow us at least the option to turn off "Top results" when searching. Yet again, this is something I do not need, I do not want, and I never asked for.

Thanks.
    Bob James

This was extremely useful. Please fix the new system so that emails located in a search say which folder they're in.
    Thanks.
    Bob James

• balsiger_s@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why does the message search not show the folder location of the message anymore? this used to be a feature that made the search and folder usage useful. without it is very difficult and actually painful for any productive search and custom folder usage..... PLEASE put this feature back!!

• keaycare@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I do a search in my email, it no longer shows me what folders the emails are in. This feature is very helpful because certain emails that I receive alot of, once I have a chance to print & save them I will move them to a specific received folder. If i'm out for a few days, I can do a search and see which ones are in the inbox and which are in the received folder and sort them accordingly as I print and save them. In the beta it is not giving me this option. As an office 365 subscriber I would prefer to not lose features as the email service is upgraded.

← Previous 1 3 4

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base