OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Switch Mail/Calendar/People/Photos/Tasks buttons back to horizontal instead of vertical

While I believe this layout is an improvement overall, I think having the Mail/Calendar/People/Photos/Tasks buttons going vertical in the lower left corner should be changed back to horizontal and at the bottom of the folder pane. Having one section just for these adds wasteful white space on the left that takes away from listing folder trees, and it is not consistent with the experience across Calendar and People, as they switch back to horizontal when switching apps. This also doesn't match behavior in Outlook desktop client that most end-users are trained for. Please switch that view back, or at least have it as an option, that makes it consistent across the O365 experience.

86 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tyler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree 100%. Total waste and adds no benefit of any kind to the user. Might help Microsoft in some way, but zero benefit to the end user. Really hoping they change this back. If Microsoft sent this out "vote" to all email users, my guess would be that 99% of users would op for removing the wasteful and worthless vertical side bar.

• mrcat meow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the point in an entire column for 5 icons which could either be horizontal or just not there. There is already the app menu on the top left.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agreed - wasting the whole left column for 5 icons is crazy - worked fine in the previous version

• Stuart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agree, a column of buttons on the left wastes space, while under the folders menu fits better (as on Outlok desktop).

• tomparris@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, on a 1366x768 screen, which is the most common resolution on laptops, everything is too squished together and I have to scroll right/left to read some emails properly. Above the buttons is just a great area so seems a waste of space. At the bottom was better as you don't lose much space.

Maybe put them along the top next to the Search bar?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The vertical pane with the shortcuts for Calendar/Contacts/Pictures/Tasks uses too much vertical space. Better to return it to a bar at the bottom of the folders list.

The new Outlook.com: General

Feedback and Knowledge Base