OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Desperately need a way to reorganize the folders in outlook.com

Would like a way to re-arrange folders, current their is no way to organize the folders position, when you drag a folder it only allows it to become a sub folder, but I want to move the positions of the parent folders. such as Inbox, Custom Folder, Achieve, Custom Folder, Deleted, Junk, etc.

94 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dave Ganesh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • au9ustine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just received mail from support team today that they claimed NOT POSSIBLE about the features such as managing folders, making a sub folder as primary or similar, which is disappointing immensely.

Quoted from the original text
    "We understand <my_name>. I would be honest with you that managing folders, like making a sub folder as primary is not possible in Outlook.com webmail. Instead, you may be required to use an Outlook application to get that done."

Any alternative idea to make it change?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i agree - this is absolutely ridiculous. juvenile. unacceptable. we need to be able to do this.

I DRASTICALLY NEED TO BE ABLE TO MOVE AND ORGANIZE FOLDERS IN A CERTAIN ORDER. THIS IS RIDICULOUS THAT I CAN'T DO THIS. PLEASE!

• Denise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, your reply over a year ago that "we are considering this change" is not acceptable (and still no update). It's clear that there's a community frustration and need for previously existing basic functionality, and this lack of response (and apparent lack of concern) is appalling. I'm paying $19.95 a year to not even be able to create new "parent" folders anymore. This is my last year. You're losing a decades-long devoted customer.

Sooooo Frustrating!!!! It use to be So Easy - now all I can find is to ADD a SUBFOLDER - I want to create a new Folder
    This new version is ugly and cumbersome - please let us keep the old classic - it was so easy to manage folders
    Likewise to previous comments 06/11 I had now managed to create a SUBFOLDER that I can't move to just a simple NEW Folder
    So time wasting and annoying

• Julie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is VERY frustrating. Seems to be a step back not to be able to move and organize folders. If I knew this, I would have found a way to keep the classic Outlook.

• santiago benites rodrigues commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It was very frustrating that I was able to accidentally move a folder into another folder, yet was unable to move it back out. I had to use the 'classic' layout to correct the problem, as suggested to me on the Microsoft Community. My question then is: why has Microsoft released a 'faulty' version of Outlook.com, when a previous version worked just fine?

• Jordan Koroveshi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've moved a folder within a folder, but now I can't get it out again, I can only move it back to another folder. In other words, cannot move folder to Root directory. This functionality was available in classic.

• Kim Stiehl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying to drag a main folder down, it ended up as a subfolder. And I can't get it back as a main folder. Furthermore, can you make it so I can move the Archive folder or disable it. It's empty for me and taking up space, so I always have to scroll...

• Neal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Organizing folders isn't smooth. Dragging a folder under a folder and making it a sub-folder is easy, but trying to reverse that accidental process is a pain. We have to delete the sub-folder and make a new one under the same name if we want it to be an independent parent folder of its own. We need smooth functionality to drag and organize folders, to reorganize the folders of how they're shown and so on.

• betsypepper@live.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hope you are fixing this inabililty to make a subfolder a top folder by drag and drop. Seems archane that you can't. Thanks

• al commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would Like to see about at least being able to seperate folders out of list of Aliases and reordering aliases all part of the folder reorganization ability

• Gracia Elena Durón commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now, the only way to undo a subfolder and make it a parent folder again (without exiting the Beta version) is by renaming the subfolder to any other name, create a new folder using the original name for the folder you want to make a parent, then going back to the current subfolder and selecting all the emails inside and moving them all to the newly created parent folder. It worked for me!!

• ppol42 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't find a way to create a folder in root folder, I can only create subfolders. And as other have reported once a folder is a subfolder there is no way to move it back to the top (except by switching off beta)

• bigian92@hotmail.it commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Holy God, I accidentally moved a folder in a subfolder position, and there's no way to get it back as a normal folder, even switching off the beta version. Help.

• Roger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the fact that folders become sub folders is not a great idea at all. VERY frustrating!

← Previous 1

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base