OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Enable sorting by sender, dates, subject, etc. in the filter dropdown

The filter tab in the earlier version allowed to sort by sender / subject etc. Please enable that

4,852 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mohit Sampat shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

December 2017: Thanks for your patience and continued use of the Outlook.com beta! We roll out new improvements every week, and are elated to announce that a recent update opened up this feature to you! You now can sort your message list by Receive Time (default), Sender Name, and Message Size.

We will continue to make other improvements to the Outlook.com beta experience; thanks for your support!

283 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, where has the sorting option by sender disappeared in Sent items .. i see others commenting and no fix .. please advise?

• Julie Fitzpatrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can go to my INBOX and organise my e-mails by who they are from in 5 minutes..... Why can't I go to my SENT folder and organise my mail by who they are 'to'....... its just insanity!!!! You used to be able to do this so WHY???????????? would you remove that function? And this has obviously been an issue for months if not years so why are you not fixing it?

• Julie Fitzpatrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has not been 'sorted out'..... the function is still not available to sort SENT mail by 'from'... why are you acting like it has been fixed? It's infuriating. I am ready to change my e-mail and contact everyone because this wastes so much of my time!!!

FYI - The alphabetical sorting of emails works for in sent items but not for inbox. Can you please fix it?

Thanks,

There used to be an option to select a letter to jump to for sorting "from" emails instead of scrolling through to get to a certain letter. Please add back in

F-ING MORONS!!!!!!!!!

I asked to be able to sort by contacts, PLEASE! While the junk filter works well, I am unemployed and get 15-20plus job alerts daily. I NEED, not want, BUT NEED to be able to check my email from my contacts only, please, Please, PLEASE. I get email offers from Outback, Costco, Texas Roadhouse, etc. I CAN NOT take the time to enter EVERY contact into the search engine. It is usually some corporate egg head in a tie at Walmart that gets rid of the things I buy. In this case, my guess is you need to spend more time on CUSTOMER SATISFACTION, and less time playing ping pong, yoga, pilates.

• yuval commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to view the emails as groups by sender and sort those groups by date of last email, it's strange that I can't do that, even on the desktop program.

• I used to love hotmail - not anymore! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you please reinstate the old function??? I used to be able to right click on an email and then filer all from the sender. I could then deal with one sender at a time. This used to allow me to either delete all and clean up my email box quicker or deal with specific people at one time to make things more efficient. Please return this feature!!!!! It is making me inefficient and I will need to divert my email to another platform to be able to use this feature if it is not fixed!!!

• Arthur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Click on filter

Click on sort by

Click on date so that the arrow is pointing up and old emails are at the top, or choose any other option besides sorted by date with new emails at top.

Everything you just did is a total waste of time because the first time you go somewhere else, to deleted emails for example because you deleted one by accident, when you come back the emails will be sorted by date new emails at the top.

• Arthur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want my email sorted by date arrow up. I want it to stay that way. Why does it keep changing back to date arrow down? Why are you insisting that we sort arrow down? Is this yet another case of Microsoft knowing better than us what we want?

I just tested it for the others. No matter what I set it to it just comes back to date arrow down. Why is it you tech people can never do an upgrade without screwing with the stuff that was working fine before. When I open my email I want the older emails on top. Why is that so hard to do?

• Scottie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to be able to set our own default "Filter" and "Sort By" options instead of them being "All" and "Date".

• jschkloven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I want to order the emails in my inbox I cannot reverse the order alphabetically from z-a. That was an option before.

Sent items still cannot be sorted by recipient - only by date or size. This is a necessary function - if it's there and I'm missing it please do let me know. Thanks.

• Christel Gray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like the ability to select emails that come in on specific dates without doing a search. Meaning, they are sorted and grouped by date in the inbox. Then I can quickly select the emails for each date and delete them after a quick skim.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base