OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Restore email address to message header

The sender's email address has been removed from the header so that only the display name is disclosed. I know I can click on the display name but that is work.

It also opens the door for spoofing if an attacker includes an email address in his display name though I have not tried to see if there is a mitigation in place.

718 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

someone shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

31 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jm wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's not enough! Yes, I do want to see addresses even if they are in a contact list. When they are not there, it can be easy to accidently omit them when forwarding or saving in a text file.

• Lotta Larsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, I have asked you before, but this is a cruial issue for me, make it possible for me to show the emailaddress instead of the name for incoming emails senders. I am so tired of reading their miss leading names Support is the name, the email address is something like the most unserious you can imagine.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't trust emails labeled as from Microsoft because I cannot drop down the actual email address it was sent from. And that goes for all emails in outlook. So I don't open many.

• Lotta Larsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is horrible that i can not choose to see the MAIL ADDRESS in the list of mails instead of the name of the sender. all ******* spammers in the world set up names like "Google Admin", "Apple support", "Facebook Help", and then there is a mail address like fslkdlak@superidiots.com, why dont you let me choose to see the mail address instead of the name? it would be **** for those idiots and very much appeciated by me

• Steven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to see the email addresses not the names in the from list of my inbox. Please provide an option to view the email address in this column or the name. I do not want to hover over every name to see what address/domain it is from. This is a simple feature addition and should be added asap!

• Rwa_edward@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft,

Could it please be possible to display the e-mail address of senders rather than just their display name?

I ask this because I have received many phishing e-mails recently. The display name often looks perfectly legitimate, such as "Apple Support" but you can only see that something is truly wrong when looking at the actual e-mail address from which it was sent by clicking on the display name.

Permanently displaying e-mail addresses isn't a perfect solution, but it is a simple solution that would make phishing e-mails a lot easier to spot.

Thank you,

• jim.mcintosh@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This NEEDs to be fixed so we can see the actual address. Many times if it's a legit business I might just delete it but if it's name is say, Renewal by Andersen Windows and the address is JoeSchmoe@junk.io it will be blocked. With the BETA I've not found a way to see the actual address w/o reverting to the production release.

• Keith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Security, spoofing, and just plain mistakes is a huge concern.

Production Outlook.com uses display names in rules, which means I generally have to go to Outlook 365 to create the rules I want using the actual email address.

• Melissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To reduce spam and ensure I open and click on appropriate messages, we need to see the email address.

• Diane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, I would like to be able to see the email address, or at least click on the 'name' and either expand the header to see the email address or have the details pop up in the right hand columns as in the older version of Outlook. I have more than one email address for some people, so their name isn't always helpful.

I have an extensive contact list and as I often use it to send email to both partners using one email address, I tend to have an alias Mr. & Mrs. For that matter, I don't use pictures. If I don't see the full email address, I can't tell who is answering. I would prefer to have a full email address of the sender displayed. It will also make it easier to recognize spam immediately.

• marcolombo@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be a bettar idea to HIDE the "display Name" if the sender (the real sender) is not in contacts.

And show address, all long, when mouse fly over sender address/name.

Pleas! this isn't a video-game, this is a "work place"

• DrDrTed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This suggestion is important - if you have many contacts without pictures and you want to keep things straight, this is necessary.
    It's an example where the over-simplified mobile approach may be getting the better of you.
    Remember, some of us are professionals, and we have work that is complex, so we need stuff like this, at least as an option.

• Tobias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

thanks @philip-at-outlook for nice wording, how about simply speaking make it not worst and less user friendly as it was before? showing the sender email address is a current functionality, unless you have a very good reason to remove this useful info there is no need to even consider this one, so this isn't exactly an "improvement" as you refer to but not to cut current functionality that is present ...

Support this 100% - seeing the full email address is important to prevent opening spam and phishing emails. I would like it on EVERY email in my inbox that is not already in my contact list so I know what I am opening please.

← Previous 1

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base