OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

I like the mode with the Reading Pane off

You turned it on for me... can you let me turn it off?

The Reading Pane takes up too much space on the right, and I want my previews to show up in an ordered way (right now it might be a little hard to tell which word belongs to which thing).

29,237 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminPhilip Loh (Outlook Web Advocate, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that you can turn the Reading Pane off yourself by taking these steps:

1. Go to Settings (you should see the Quick Settings in the side pane)
2. Reading pane > Hide (it’s a radio button)

If this is the mode you prefer, go right ahead and personalize your Outlook.com that way!

2107 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • jhcirra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Split screen is annoying. Too tedious to check messages one at a time.

• William commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this situation is stupid, it is almost impossible to write and send an email. There is nowhere to type it.

• sean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once I saw the split screen I knew the suggestions from last time hadn't been addressed.
    Also I got very use to using the "check all" box to only check the emails visible excluding the pinned mail to quickly get rid of irrelevant mail. I just tried the same check all box and every single email including pinned and flagged emails was checked for deletion. NOPE.
    I want efficiency in going through my email not having to scroll a lot to see my new mail or get lost looking for folders.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to choose between full screen and split screen would be OK. But additionally, split screen may be more useful if I were able to resize the panels (and to hide the ads). Especially to be able to read messages which have small text.

• Otis Vanderpool commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with #37. I would like my old e-mail as it was please put it back. Your new stuff sucks!!!!!!

The writer is **** right. It's incredible how you can make a good thing bad

I agree I like the traditional full view list. Also I don;t care for the focused and other sorting. If I want it sorted I will do it myself I rather the email program not secide that for me!

• David Harrison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The e-mail, only the e-mail and nothing but the e-mail complete and listing the attachments which open when I point at them instead of asking me if I want to read them. What does it think I want to do with the one at which I point. I dont want it to use it for any lavatorial purpose.

• David Harrison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The real horror is that not only do the adverts obscure the text on the screen they also do so on the text AND the only solution is to block copy the entire document into a new word document. Can we please get back to an advert-free hotmail???PLEASE???PLEASE!!**? And NOW I cannot get Reply All,

• Garrett Sparks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't mind the preview screen but I don't see a way to make the emails full-screen. If I double-click on it or something, it should open that way. Sometimes I need to see the whole email at once and the split screen does not allow that.

• Alessandro Crivelli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would suggest adding an option to pick a design for your inbox, between the new and the previous style (Message Preview and List). As someone that gets a lot of emails I hate the new design. All the pinned mails are on top, so it's taking me way too long to get past them. Once I get to the new messages, each message takes up so much space it's a struggle for me to see anything more than 5 mails at the time. The old style with the complete list was far more supierior, as I was able to quickly checkmark the mails that are not needed and move on with the relevant ones.

I truly dislike this split screen view - Even my Office client at work has a better overwiev in split screen than what the beta currently offers!

I hate your new format. I would like the old one back quickly! THE SPLIT SCREES SUCKS! ALSO, when I need to see ALL that I depleted or sent I cannot . This is simply ridiculous and why did you change a perfect email system to start with. WE WILL ALL HAVE TO SWITCH TO GOOGLE because it is FULL SCREEN and all the functions are there.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base