OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

I like the mode with the Reading Pane off

You turned it on for me... can you let me turn it off?

The Reading Pane takes up too much space on the right, and I want my previews to show up in an ordered way (right now it might be a little hard to tell which word belongs to which thing).

29,237 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminPhilip Loh (Outlook Web Advocate, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that you can turn the Reading Pane off yourself by taking these steps:

1. Go to Settings (you should see the Quick Settings in the side pane)
2. Reading pane > Hide (it’s a radio button)

If this is the mode you prefer, go right ahead and personalize your Outlook.com that way!

2107 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This doesn't resolve my issue. I don't want the far left vertical box to show, it's pointless as its contents are in the 3x3 box at the top. Screens are getting smaller and you are filling it with stuff that's of no value.
    Please give me the option to turn this column off.

• Roberson G.S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bom saber que estão melhorando ou tentando melhorar, mas ainda gosto do antigo, vou fazer uma configuração nova para ver se me agrada.

• Catherine Allem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Beta isn't really something i can understand as a way of being more
    equiped.
    It would be better for someone who would like more of a screen saver.
    I prefer what i had always as before.
    Thanks
    Catherine

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why the flip was ‘Too many vertical panels' merged with this? THIS IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!
    We are wanting rid of that stupid little bar with the icons on the right, NOT the reading pain.
    It was the most voted for and commented on suggestion, and Microsoft have now just hidden it somewhere else?
    If the right hand bar remains after beta, I’m going to take my advertising money to Yahoo Mail.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey! you merged "Too many vertical panels" with this reading pane topic! ITS NOT THE SAME ISSUE! the panel on the left is very useless (the one with 5 buttons for persons, calender etc. which no one uses)

• Fran Sheinwald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There was a time when adding/deleting/editing folders was easy. Then, you changed it. The instructions are complicated. My folders are a wreck and I don't have the patience to deal with the instructions. Please simplify.

• andrewwpoulton@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Idea is nothing to do with this. I do not understand how you can merge my idea with the switching on and off of the reading pane which already existed in the original Outlook.com

I suggested being able to reduce the number of columns left to right.

Why does the beta version have to have such a great big wide first column just for 4 menu items.
    Cannot it go to the bottom of the user interface AS IT IS NOW which does not take up any extra room across the screen

• robertodepunta1973 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

me gustaria volver al de antes o sea al correo que tenia se me ase mas dificil este sistema soy una persona mayor y no entiendo bien la nueva tecnologia gracias y disculpen las molestias

• Terry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't like new layout Difficult to use with split screens.
    GO BACK TO ORIGINAL

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base