OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

I like the mode with the Reading Pane off

You turned it on for me... can you let me turn it off?

The Reading Pane takes up too much space on the right, and I want my previews to show up in an ordered way (right now it might be a little hard to tell which word belongs to which thing).

29,237 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that you can turn the Reading Pane off yourself by taking these steps:

1. Go to Settings (you should see the Quick Settings in the side pane)
2. Reading pane > Hide (it’s a radio button)

If this is the mode you prefer, go right ahead and personalize your Outlook.com that way!

2107 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Charles Finn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Declutter, too many vertical panels, Leftmost is a waste of space. Move it up, down or out, please

• a.yavis@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I did not like the inbox AT ALL. I like having the list (with nothing open) so I can go through and delete what is necessary. Having it in a sidebar with whatever was highlighted just automatically open was annoying.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Não consegui visualizar a mensagem em tela cheia. Prejudica a leitura em pela pequena, pois possui muitas divisões.

The sidebars are so wide that I have to scroll horizontally in every e-mail. I have a 15" screen so this has never been an issue before. It also makes the screen look very, very cluttered.

• Tak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Add a Message" takes up most of the space on the screen making the Reading Pane too small. Because of this you have to scroll through the Reading Pane making it not a reading pane, but just another area eating up space on the screen. Adjust the settings so the user can adjust the reading pane size, and minimize the "Add a Message" pane. Otherwise I am not interested in using the Beta version.

• Rich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I click an email, I want to go directly into it - not have it open in a new pane to the right with the rest of my inbox on the left.

I use a lot of windows and I don't want to have to maximise this one to read my emails.

This setting may exist but it's not obvious.

• Vitor de Moura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like the simultaneous view of message and mailbox... I prefer read my email separately of the mailbox, just like before.
    The new clean visual works good.

A tela dividida fica péssima para computadores pequenos, muito ruim de ler e escolher o email.

• annamyrvang@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like that there are so many panels and that everything is split up so much so that I feel I have to scroll much further around.

When I look at my emails that I have not read the beta has too many vertical panels and I have to scroll all the time to see what can wait or open or maybe I miss important emails after not oping for a month. The beta is hard to sort through new junk mail and good mail.

• Sue Pepper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree - stop messing around and restricting what we want to see. Give us a full choice of how we want to see the our emails

• T. McCallister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Streamline! Minimalist options! Instead of two panels and an ad, there are three panels and an ad - and the folder panel now has two sub-panels. I'm sure I could turn off the preview panel, but why create so many visual components? Maybe the idea is to make it more mobile-friendly, but I thought it was overwhelming. And I'm pretty tech savvy. Pare it down, Outlook!

• Sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new column on the left leaves less space for email preview and the folder tab. For only four icons, it takes up too much screen space. It's a small change but it's the first thing I noticed

In Beta version, I found the inbox coloumn very usefull that I can see easily the attached files but in contrast, the coloumn that shows the detail of email is not usefull.

• genna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reading pane is way too small! What's the point of e-mail if I can't read the e-mail??? There's no option to resize!

• Christopher Dufresne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I dislike having a lot of vertical panel! Keep pages simple!

My usual settings are a vertical panel for the folders Inbox, Trash, etc., and one for the list of emails, and when I click on an email, it replaces the list of emails by the content of this email. In that way, I have a lot of space to read emails.

Now, in the beta version, I have a vertical panel for the folders, one for the list of emails, one for the new menu Picture, Contacts, etc., and one for reading emails.

The items in the vertical panel for the new menu Picture, Contacts, etc. should be in the existing menu (the 3x3 squares at the top left), and majority of them are already there!

And stop displaying the content of an email in a reading panel. Or put this as an option.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base