OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

There needs to be an option to delete/clear search history!

There is no way to delete/clear search history in Outlook.com!!!!!! This is crazy! This is a basic necessity!

187 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Will R shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for all of the great feedback, and for using outlook.com! I just wanted to let you know that everyone should be able to clear their search history now.

To do this follow these steps

1) Click the Gear/Cog in the top right hand corner
2) Click Full Settings at the bottom of the Quick Setting Pane
3) Select General in the left
4) Select Export

From here you can delete your search history, export it if you want a copy, or request an export of your mailbox.

Hope this helps!

David Los

45 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Joleen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

search box keeps freezing and I can't delete old search and search for something else as I have to reload page in order to do so. Not happy, have switched back an not on beta anymore.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Deleting search history is impossible. I am asked if I want to add them as a contact. I have no idea who these people are. I have now deleted outlook on my iphone for this reason. I may delete my account on my laptop which is ridiculous.

• stevenspyrka@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Delete function doesn't work in search results.

When I search something and delete a mail from the results, the deleted mail disappears. So far so good. If I do the search again (with the same term, just hit enter) the previously deleted mail is back. I can also quit the search results and find the mail in the folder where it should be.

• Bayram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Search history Postings in the Mail and Contacts section are kept by the system. Disable ... or at least allow users to delete their history

Mass delete from search results doesn't delete all mails although the pop up says that it will

• Iam Victor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been a fan of Outllook/Hotmail since ages just like everybody else but it has become TOO complicated. THE LESS IS BETTER. we don't need two folders within the inbox, we don't need too many panels, too many colors, too many of a lot stuff. it just looks like someone said "too messy". BUT what I'm writing for is about the Search box and now the move box with the BETA version.

I hate we can't clear the history box and now the move box has suggested names we can not change. Outlook/Hotmail IT HAS TOO MANY FLAWS.

My suggestion: If you want to make changes to the whole programs, on it's presentation and the way we con do things with it, IS FINE. But let us (the users) to have the options within the settings to choose if we want to turn on or off an option. let us choose if we want to clear the search box or if want a certain feature on or off.

Every single user has his or her own likes and dislikes when it comes to how we use this service and how we want to personalize it, let us do it because in this case one size does not fits all.

• J T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I deleted old messages that were in a thread, and not the newest message which is what I was trying to do. Why would the whole thread be deleted?

You STILL CAN'T do a search on a word...and then delete ALL of the Search results that appear.

• Jodi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make it possible to delete messages after you've searched. It worked in beta version, but doesn't work in normal version. Or...tell me how to do it if that functionality already exists.

• Lakshay Sachdeva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no option to clear the searches in searching the people and keywords section. Also there is no option to clear the suggestions of people while sending a new mail.

• Xiaofu Ji commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(1) How to delete the items in the search box?
    (2) Category is very important. Please do not delete this in the new outlook.

• Abhishek Raj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely, this is the basic necessity. How can someone rollout a service without history clear function now days?

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base