OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Restore the option to use Categories / Labels / Tags

Hello,

In the current Outlook Mail you can have both Folders and Categories / Labels / Tags.

Could you enable it for the new Outlook as well?

Thank You.

1,414 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Royi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminOWA 3S Query Feedback (Admin, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that we’ve heard your feedback and have rebuilt categories with some added features!

You can now easily apply a custom category and give it a name and color of your choice by either clicking the “Categorize” button in the top menu bar or by right-clicking on an email and going to “Categorize”. You can also filter a category by directly clicking on it in your list of emails.

We have even more innovation planned soon for categories. For more help on using categories, please visit:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-categories-in-outlook-com-a0f709a4-9bd8-45d7-a2b3-b6f8c299e079#bkmk_beta

100 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mats A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for submitting categories. Now, we only need an easy way to access them.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The categories don't stay. They appear while I am on Hotmail but as soon as I close my account and come back, the categories that I have applied to emails have disappeared.

• Rich Mesagna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm happy to see you restored the ability to categorize messages manually and with inbox rules. However, I don't see an easy way to filter out categorized messages from my inbox.

Previously, my categories showed up in the navigation pane where I could just click one and quickly see those types of messages, that worked very well for me.

• ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree 100% on need for categories and would like to filter by category

• Lars commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When can we finally expect categories to reappear again? I really like the new UI but prefer categories over folders as this a much more flexible approach...

• ganesh_iyer37@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even the updated outlook beta still does not have any categories. Please do not release this into production as we need the categories feature badly.

• zanzaaa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still no categories for the beta...

Categories needed in the left panel and in the mailbox (with the color) next to each emails.

• John Chapman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just repeating what others said. I used beta Outlook for a while but amazed no category feature. And it was flagged by users almost a year ago. Is anyone reading these emails? I am no longer using beta.

• Nik Sotnyk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please can you add the catogories in to the Beta. These are in Outlook 2016 and should be in outlook.com as well. They are really useful!

• Kevin Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am amazed that you don't include Categories in the beta. It is a best practive to NOT use forlders to organize emails and to use categories instead (e.g. tagging an email with multiple categories is more useful that finding the one folder it might be in). Without categories, the beta is useless for me.

• kis-nagy.daniel@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just turned off beta for the lack of this – I hope the new UI won't be mandatory before this feature comes back, otherwise it would be really hard for me to find some old, yet frequently needed messages.

• Bernadette Freedman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just started trying the beta version. Right away I was startled that a message I deleted while viewing it simply stayed on my screen instead of disappearing and returning me to my Inbox. I looked at Settings but don't see anything I could use to change this behavior. I am not fond of being marched through my Inbox, so I wouldn't want to have the behavior changed to "open next email." I just like to pick and choose among my new messages and read them according to what interested me most when I see new messages. When I delete a message I'm reading, I'd like to have it behave the "old" way--vanish to Deleted and returning me to my Inbox screen. Thank you.

• randydunntrumpet@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just tried Outlook Beta and discovered that there is still no Categories marker feature (one of the most useful features of Outlook!) So, I will be turning off Beta. Oh, and Microsoft: When you finally get around to adding Categories back to the Beta version, PLEASE make the Beta marks larger. The skinny little colored lines of the categories are a little hard to see quickly and easily. Larger circles or squares would be better. THANK YOU!

← Previous 1 3 4 5

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base