OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Reading Pane on the Bottom

I'd like the reading pane on the bottom of the screen.

3,752 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

425 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Scott S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reading pane should be an option to have at the bottom. The vertical pane does not allow enough space to see email and I cannot open email to see the whole email. Please fix, going back to old view until beta has been updated.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer to have the reading pane at the bottom of the screen, and found I could only have it on the right or turned off completely. Right side location seems to cut off a lot of content on smaller screens.

• Camille commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer seeing the reading pane on the bottom. At the very least, make top or bottom a choice.

Reading panes are not very useful in beta and even the current version has messed up how the reading preview pane used to work on the bottom because of the new "flagging" vs "tagging" options.
    The new beta has Folders on left, then message list, then another "message list" in large pane. Why would one need 2 message lists.
    Either the middle or top pane should show the Message list (newest at top or tagged) then the large pane should be a preview of either the uppermost (newest) message (not counting tagged messages) when initially opened or whatever message is selected.

• aj_kishel@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reading pane has been best on the bottom since it was first introduced. It allows for a large, easy to read view of each message while still showing many items in the folder. (This assumes the list of items, such as email messages, is compact enough. They really only need to be the height of a line of text and should not be spread further except maybe on a low resolution touch screen.)

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I run email on a portrait orientated screen, so reading pane at bottom is a must, also too many vertical columns including ads kill the functionality of a portrait screen. Having an option to re-position ads or kill them would be sweet.

Need the reading pane on the bottom. Outlook currently provides 3 options for viewing messages. Please bring it back :)

I use my monitor in a vertical orientation, and the side reading pane is not wide enough. It would be great to have an option to set the reading pane to the bottom of the screen.

• Ann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I put the reading pane on the bottom because I couldn't read the email without putting it on print to read it all. I liked it on the side but not with the ads taking up a pane the same size. I would like to be able to adjust the pane's width.

• jurbiz@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see the reading pane in a new tab and see the reply pane in a new tab as well like the old outlook

• Nowshin Khakeque commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the beta version very much. The reading pane can offer options like either to keep it on the right or bottom. It resembles the Microsoft Office Outlook which is why it is much more easier and convinient to use. I Love It. :)
    Keep up the good work.

• Samuel Graham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like this as well. I think an older version used to do this, now I have to go back to the inbox to see the message list because I like to have the full width of the screen to see sender, subject, date, etc. I hate the skinny list on the left with reading pane to the right.

• Cory H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NEED(!!!!) this. I use a vertical monitor orientation and its much too narrow for a reading pane on the side.

Please add this ASAP.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like for the reading pane to be on the bottom, and abbrevited sender icon is not only annoying, it is of very little value.

• Ronald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the reading pane on the bottom. I can use bigger text to read.

• Hani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, need to have the option to have the reading pane at the bottom as the reading pane on the right is too narrow to fit content without the need to scroll to read

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base