OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Reading Pane on the Bottom

I'd like the reading pane on the bottom of the screen.

3,752 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

425 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Tim Glanton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reading pane on the right doesn't work. It's too narrow and the text doesn't wrap, just disappears off the edge for the screen

• Jean Harm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hate the reading panel on the side. No choice to have it below. Also lost all the emails in the old Inbox which is unbelievable.

• Daniel Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having an option for the reading pane on the bottom is a MUST HAVE.

Message content is practically unreadable when it's squashed into a thin column when the reading pane is on the right (especially on non-widescreen monitors).

• stefan.mardale@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow the configuration of the reading pane on the bottom. I cannot read my messages in the side pane.

Also allow the deactivation of the conversations.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Missing the possibility to have the reading pane at the bottom instead of having everything in vertical panes

• Ralf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reading Pane has to be under the mails, on the bottom. Not on the right side.

• Robin Choo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i like to read my panel horizontal instead of vertical so it mean top is mail bottom is reading

• Kris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No option to have the reading pane at the bottom, as in Outlook. This is how I read email, and I've always adapted it.
    You definitely need to put this back in or I won't use Outlook.com. Disabled the beta for now.

• Joe M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also wanted to weigh in here. I was able to, before beta, choose if the preview pane was displayed below or to the side. I like to see my messages header completely while seeing the preview below. The forced way of only having it side by side allows me to adjust the width of the fields but it doesn't help since I have to then view the preview smaller. Many good changes in beta but taking this feature control away isn't one of them, in my opinion.

• Clarissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add an option for the reading panel to be on the bottom; not just on the right.

• masoncross@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

reading pane - need to be able to make it horizontal along bottom of screen - don't like it vertical and can't see option to change

• Richard Daykin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would work a lot better for those with laptop screens that don't have a lot of vertical resolution

• Zach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The old layout was simple.

Veritcal pane for folders, accounts, etc. Then a split view with message Subject in a pane on top, and the reading pane on the bottom half below it.

I see no way to set that up.

• Clyde Jacobson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reading pane is not available on the bottom any more and is poorly formatted on the right side of the screen. It is useless as is.

• sahannaford@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wish I could vote 10 times for this......so annoying that I can't see the full width of the message in the current reading pane. And it doesn't appear that you can open the message so it appears as a separate window so have to keep scrolling left to right as well as down.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base