OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Reading Pane on the Bottom

I'd like the reading pane on the bottom of the screen.

3,752 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

425 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • dennis light commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not like that the only option for the reading pane is to the right. I have used outlook for over 15 years and have never liked the pane on the right. I have always used the reading pane on the bottom! Hopefully I will not have to change email program to ********* the bottom again!!!!!!!!

• Tracy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

allow the user to adjust the view how they see fit. I prefer the preview view with the bottom of the page displaying my email

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to organize to have a horizontal view (so list of mails above the reading pane), rather than vertical, but I can't find how to do this?

• Greg Whiteley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new beta has removed the feature of spitting the preview pane horizontally, that was present in office365/OWA.

This means that the preview pane can only be readable on landscape screens.

Portrait screen configurations leave the page with three unreadably narrow columns stretching the length of the screen.

Try rotating your monitor and setting it as 1080x1920 and you'll see how unusable it it.

Great updates with smooth performance. but reading pan must have option to be at bottom which is not available in current update. Hope we will have it very soon.

readong pane was on the bottom previously, now iit is only at the right, this is very unconvenient

• Kyle Latzke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm forced to use the online version of Outlook at my job via a Remote Desktop at 1024x740 resolution and the old version of Outlook wouldn't fit properly.

Now it seems the horizontal scrollbar at the bottom is bigger now, even with the reading pane turned off.

I would like a layout like the current non-beta style.

A low-bandwidth version would be even better.

• Erwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the Yammer accounts, OneDrive Account is not openable, I could open my OneDrive and Yammer thru outlook apps menu.. now it's gone.

• Kimberly M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The vertical reading pane is difficult to use. You can not view the entire width of the email, which requires additional scrolling. Either bring back the bottom horizontal pane or allow a double click that will bring a reading window up.

Let me resize and place the reading pane on which ever side just like the Outlook program on computers. Also, when you have the reading pane function selected, move the "delete" and other functions over the message being read instead of over to the left which is over the list of emails. Please consider putting the "Reply" "Reply All" and "Forward" functions in the bar over the open message.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let me move the reading pane below my inbox, not just to the right.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base