OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Reading Pane on the Bottom

I'd like the reading pane on the bottom of the screen.

3,752 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

425 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I think is funny is that outlook to this response as SPAM so I didn't know to trust the reply or not. Also I didn't find the feature in the beta version of Outlook web version.

Lynn Ayres from Outlook, why don't you just log into a version of MS Office Outlook and make the changes to the webmail (Outlook, Hotmail, etc.) look like that? That includes one of the most important features: A horizontal reading pane.

Your response of "interesting" and "our understanding" show a complete lack of product knowledge and a dismal understanding of your users. We don't need a "...a 100% width reading pane which is about 50% height with the message list on top". We need a 100% width reading pane with a fully adjustable height with the message list on top. Make it just like MS Office's Outlook. Please. This is simple coding for your team.

Agree with previous comment. Reading pane on bottom, no conversations. If current beta layout becomes permanent, I'll use another service to access this email.

• Anita Jensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, I link the reading panel and the message list to be separated horizontally, or at least make it one of the layout options.

I also find the reply that it is interesting to be trite and likely a *form letter* response

• Anita Jensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, I link the reading panel and the message list to be separated horizontally, or at least make it one of the layout options.

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interesting? I'd like to see the same thing in Outlook, as my reading pane has been on the bottom of the page for 20+ years. It's definitely nothing new. :)

• Ian Ward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also like to ask for there to be an option to put the reading pane on the bottom. Outlook web previously supported this and the Outlook desktop still supports it. So essentially, we've lost functionality here.

Thanks.

• Darren King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, reading pane to the right has always been an option in desktop outlook but I have always moved it to the bottom. I just don't get on with it to the side. I work in IT support and many more of the users I support opt to have the pane on the bottom in outlook, I am not sure what research you did when you chose to remove this option.

How is keeping existing functionality an interesting idea that needs to be thought about? I have had the reading pane on the bottom since Office 97. That was 20 years ago. This isn't some new suggestion that took you guys by surprise. It's a core layout that people use.

We don't all have big screens! Option to move reading pane to bottom so you can see full width message would be nice. Current layout looks like three mobile phone screens side by side... Resize cursor hard to find as borders of columns are pretty much invisible if messages are read... maybe themes could extend to whole screen and shade columns... lots of 'flickering' on mouse hover, scroll bar on reading pane disappears then refreshes (firefox)

Establish a reading pane below the message list, as the option has been available on EVERY version of Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, since about the year 2000 or earlier.

The Win10 Mail app NEEDS to be updated with the same 'reading pane below' option as well.

Do not force us to change to a 'reading pane at right' layout. It's just plain stupid.

• Richard A. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I seriously can't believe that you don't have the reading pane on the bottom. Saying, "This is a very interesting suggestion" is foolish. Having the reading pane on the bottom in Outlook has been the standard for decades. It was the first thing I attempted to do when trying Beta. I'm totally not interested in Beta at this point. This is a non-starter for me.

• Vitor Santos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since the publicity on the rigth removes around 15 to 20% of the screen, the horizontal reading pane is the best option...

• Larry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The purpose of email is to be able to READ your messages which is impossible in the beta. Makes no sense to show only a portion of the message squished into a side pane and then burden the user with moving around the pane in order to read the message. Open it 100% wide as you currently do or drop it to the bottom. THIS IS A MUST HAVE. In fact keep the other changes which I like but retain the old feature of showing the entire email message when opened. REMEMBER make it easier for the user so if it doesn't meet that criteria, then don't implement the change.

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base