OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Hard to tell between read and unread messages

I liked some of the ideas being used in beta, but I hate the new layout! I found it far less readable. It was more difficult to differentiate between read and unread messages quickly. I'd love the option to change the layout to what I prefer. It was enough to make me opt out.

2,683 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Hannah shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

257 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found this thread because I was having a hard time differentiating between read and unread emails. I found that I could make unread bold. I went to view, conditional formatting, and under font for unread messages I changed it to bold.

• TY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is it now so heard to visually differentiate between read and unread emails. The old format bold on unread emails was way more distinct. Why go backwards and make it far less distinct? Did you test this on people?

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

worst outlook ever. MS Dos would be more effective. There is no difference between read and unread emails but you clearly don't want to fix that because, per comments below, that's what everyone's been saying for over two years.

• Matt Snead commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here is CSS that will make your users much happier. This was done on exchange 2016 (on prem): https://pastebin.com/5S2YbLcj

Preview: https://imgur.com/a/eFmYlUO

Put the CSS into \V15\ClientAccess\Owa\prem\15.1.1713.1\resources\styles\0\microsoft.owa.boot.deferred.mouse.css

It's more effective/faster rendering to put it into this file: \V15\ClientAccess\Owa\prem\15.1.1713.1\resources\styles\0\boot.owaframe.mouse.css ...but due to APPCACHE some browsers may have to delete their cache in order to get updates from that file (control+F5 doesn't work either).

I do like the new outlook, however, it is a bit challenging to "see" unread email. I see that there is a red dot on my tab and that the message will be in bold but I just don't think that is enough to really see where my read emails end and my new emails begin.... Maybe color coding new emails could be an option?

• Thor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The difference between read and unread gets a little better if you choose "The New Outlook" toggle. Still way worse than the way it used to be, but better than it is by default.

this is about the Inbox overall view.
    I like the dark mode, a few more options like text colour or text size would be nice as well. In normal mode I do not feel that there is enough difference between read text and unread text. it can be hard to see the difference easily.
    also is it possible to change the spacing of the emails? it looks a bit too spread out (top to bottom) for my particular taste.
    and you current font is too thin and wiry to be easily visible. please use a thicker font and make the bold version very bold.

What were you all thinking? E mails read vs unread was simple with the unread date in color red until you opened the e mail. Why put the effort into something to make it more difficult to read.? These are our smart tech people???

Removing initials, pictures, and color codes helps to a degree for the colorblind, but spacing the lines further apart so that the contrast between unread (bold) and read (unbolded) is diminished makes Outlook virtually unusable. I am already missing important emails because I can't distinguish between the read and unread ones easily. I can no longer trust Outlook for business and family emails. Make the original format available again, so that the 10% male population (colorblind) can see our emails again.

• brian.jenkinson@unionbay.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the readability issues. We just switched from Outlook 2007 and that was much easier to identify read vs unread messages. The issue is the subject is bold black for read messages, and bold dark purple for unread. Difficult to see at a glance because they are so similar looking, especially if you are slightly color blind. Microsoft should consider accessibility options for this.

• Tiffany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel like its hard to differentiate between emails that have been read and the ones that have not. It would be great if it were easer to figure out. Thanks

• Tor L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mail: The the new emails in the Inbox are not standing out. New emails must be on top of the list and in bold. Thank you.

New UI is awful, AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its impossible to see unread vs. read emails, its just awful. Please, if this is going to stay this way let us know so we can open new accounts on a different platform...this is nearly unusable.

• cecpepito commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The unread messages are not visible enough. The whole 'rectangle' of the email should be in a different color and not just the text. Like the grey when you put your mouse on it.

• mohd_wadkar@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New look makes it confusing to look at read and unread emails. Just the text colour is different. The whole email bar should be a different colour. Also, checkboxes need to be there. Currently the changing icons makes it so that instead of selecting the email for deletion, I have many times accidentally opened them.

P.S. - Old look was better and faster.

• dave_arnett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The last version it was clear to see what emails were new at a glance because of the bold font. Now the bold font is a lot less clear. Each update Outlook takes longer to load as well.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base