OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Get rid of the "focused/other" folders

Still don't like the "focused/other" distinction, especially since a lot of important stuff ends up in "other". There's already the junk folder to get rid of useless e-mails, I don't need another filter, especially one that decides for me what's important and what's not.

1,329 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminPhilip Loh (Outlook Web Advocate, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback on the Outlook.com beta! I fully understand that the Focused/Other feature is one that might take a little getting used to, and might not fit everyone’s workflow.

The good news I have is that you can turn this feature off yourself:

1. Go to Settings
2. Where it says Sort messages into Focused and other, toggle it to Off

https://support.office.com/article/Get-help-with-the-Outlook-com-beta-fa2e5110-fa17-4b3b-88c8-87812230a048

Let me know if this doesn’t work. Please keep the feedback flowing, we’d love to make the beta experience an amazing one for you!

434 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • jeff king commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm tired of the Focused and Other Inboxes! Just make them one Inbox like it used to be!

• stephen.cassley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please get rid of this Focused and Other nonsense. Just show me my mail and let me sort it or delete it as I see fit.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is it that every few years, Microsoft wants to shove their "Focused Inbox" down our throats? Why does Microsoft presume to know what emails are important to us and need to be "Focused" and others are just **** that needs to be relegated to "Other"? I use a different email address for **** email. All email that comes to this email address is important to me! They did this a few years ago and I had to waste time to figuring out how to get rid of the "Focused" inbox. Why can't Microsoft have the setup program keep our current settings for items that have not changed between the major updates? I hated the "Focused Inbox" then and I hate it even more now since Microsoft forced me to get rid of it a second time!

• Caroline Elisa Audet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's so not clear what Focus means, except a way to lose emails that aren't in "focus" whatever it is. Just give me straight "inbox" that's all I want.

• ros hyde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate the Focused and other . Let me decide who is important and who isnt. Stop mucking around with hotmail.

• moniquebouffard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dégueulasse je n'ai pas besoin de vous pour gérer mes courriels tous au même endroit serait SUPER, arretez les brouillons après deux mots

• Kathy Hurst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I HATE what you have done to MSN Outlook. Split my emails, other, focused is ****. I hate it. give me back to the old way.

I find the way you have separated messages in the inbox,focused and other to be a total waste of our time. It is really silly and not appreciated at all!!!!!~

Why do I need a Focused and Other inbox? That is what my junk mail is for. Hotmail doesn't do a good job determining what focused and other is anyway. It is also an extra button to click on/an extra folder to check when it should all be in one place. Not a fan at all.

• randymusic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

focused emails....what kind of idiots are you people, and what makes you think that you can decide which of my emails are more important. Put all my emails in one Inbox you stupid ******* idiots.

• Jeroen van Hulten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be turned off by default!!
    Not that you have to take action to disable it.
    I've never heard any one of our customers liked it, so it only causes us work to turn it off.

I think its really cool how you guys separated our inbox into focused and "other" plus we also have a junk folder. Its just GREAT having to check 3 different inboxes every single time I'm looking for an e-mail. I think its a great idea to arbitrarily divide up everything that's sent to me into separate folders without any say from me. I love wasting time looking for things. Way to go!

• outlook_D9B0C36C31981C0C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The articles are interesting but of no value. Outlook.com should show a single list of inbox emails from all sources and sorted only by time and date. It is that simple. I am one person and I want one single inbox. GMail does it automatically. Why not Microsoft which makes me hunt around every time I get a new email.

Hate the layout with "Prioritied" and other emails. I want them all in ONE page!

For some reason, as soon as I get a mail in my outlook, i get a notification through my app, but when i look for it about a month later, it seems that outlook decided to shove that email to the spam file and then, even if it was important, its gone.
    Another annoyance is the partition of prioritized and others, because it doesnt file them how I want them to.
    Another problem that Ive had, was that spam mail refused to stop putting a senders mail in the spam file, thus I couldnt use the outlook to converse with the person.
    To be honest I´m starting to lean toward Gmail instead.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base