OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Allow users to turn off the sender photos and color icons in the message list

Allow users to turn off the sender photos in the message list (the middle column of the three). It's overly busy for my tastes.

(Full disclosure, I'm a Microsoft employee)

2,640 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Loughry shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

251 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Merrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The color circle and 1" wide column of white space in the reading pane is still there after "completed" 01/07/19 proposed setting changes. This column of space is valuable when using a portrait screen orientation. Same goes for the message selection bubble. I can ctrl click just fine without needing a dedicated permanent column.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't want to see coloured circles or people's photos. It wastes space and encourages ostentation. I don't need to be reminded of sender's initials either

Please get rid of it it's pointless

you can turn them off in setting for the message list but they still are on the individual messages, how do I turn that off and get rid of the Linkedin icon?

One of the motivations for this request, was to free up more horizontal space to the message subject. Currently, only a two or three words of the message subject are visible, especially if it's a mailing list post where the subject is prefixed with [list-name]. The mentioned solution hides the icon, but does not make the horizontal space taken up by the icon available for the message subject.

• Rich Mesagna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It took you forever to implement a change to simply hide the circle where the sender photo appears, this is not what all these votes were looking for.

What we want is to turn off the sender photo so that we get a more compact message list, so that we can see more messages on one screen.

You completely missed the mark here.

• jimbobemis@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not helpful. Could not find "sender photos" in the Quick Setting Pane. There way Sender Images that I have turned off. This does not stop emojies from being included in the subject of junk email.

I did that long ago. The random color icons with initials still remain on the messages. They are (to me, at least) distracting and irritating. If you'd drop the initials (which are not useful) and make it possible to change colors to use as indicators for type of contact, now THAT would be useful. Otherwise, would prefer not to see them.

• hopc1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new version is awful. Thank goodness Anonymous entered how to get rid of them. They were extremely distracting.

Thank you Anonymous!!

• icuthy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please get rid of the colored icons before the sender's name. SO IRRITATING! I consciously have to work to block them out just to scan my inbox.

Here is what worked for me
    I think these steps work both in hotmail and outlook.com
    Click Settings cog at top right of main screen
    Click link at very bottom that reads "View all Outlook settings"
    Scroll down at right to "Sender Images"
    Click "Don't show sender images"
    Click Save
    Click Top right X to close
    Those darn images and initials are gone! Hurray!

• tdawnl68 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hate the obnoxious icons in front of the email in the inbox. Is there a way to turn them off?

So where is that setting? Why keep changing hotmail? A perfectly good system is constantly being 'fiddled with' for the sake of it.

(From a former computer programmer who has used Hotmail for many, many years)

• Frédéric B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The images are invisible, but they still take as much place, so the message lines are still way too thick. Properly done the interface could show twice as many messages!

• Eileen Walsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used to be able to see the names. Now if I remove the circle, I cannot see the names. STOP updating these things. It worked ok Leave it alone.

Please take out the circle with the initials of the person who has sent me an email. It spreads out all the emails as the line spacing is so big. I don't need it to say JS beside the email from John Smith. I know who it's from, as it says their name.

• adrien.albert@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

don't display company logo as contact profile picture. it looks like Outlook.com automatically autfill profile picture with contact's company logo based on email

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base