OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Why did you change my settings? Messages in reverse order

I clicked on your “Try the beta” ad and all my messages are in reverse order… like, the unread emails are now at the bottom of the conversation. I spent some time in that mode because I didn’t see a way to change it back. Eventually I got used to it and it kinda makes sense now I think about it with everything in chronological order from top to bottom. I wish you asked first though. Not cool, Outlook.com.

Disclaimer: I work for Microsoft.

PS: yeah, I found the way to change the mode in the settings panel. i’m staying in your “Newest on bottom” mode now that I’m used to it already. The settings UI looks nicer than before, though, so you get points for that.

593 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

75 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • FrancisW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do you bring the latest messages on top with Outlook for Android, also for chain of emails? An Outlook security crashed on my phone, had to remove and reinstall, now last messages are at the bottom, including chains of emails, which makes no sense at all. Thanks.

• PaulM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Imagine how annoying it would be to have all of the new emails in the preview pane start at the bottom when you have a hundred, or a thousand, emails in your inbox.

That's the same thing as sending a new email to the bottom of a string.

• Ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Funnily enough the original posting style before Outlook became popular was new replies on the bottom.

Case in point:

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

• Will commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have simply migrated to gmail, life is too short. Pity as I used hotmail/outlook for 16 years. Seems like colleagues, friends and family are doing the same as most messages are now via gmail accounts. Quite sad to see the slow death of a once great product :(

• Dafna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I never agreed to change to Outlook Beta, yet my outlook has changed. I DON'T LIKE the new outlook. How can I revert to the older version????

• pierre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like it trying to find a way to return it to as it was ..///

• Mariana Lloreda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Terrible to write BELOW the messages! This makes it confusing.
    The mail chains should appear below NOT ABOVE the mail that I am writing. I couldn't deal with this and switched back to the original display.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with this! It is very hard to grab needed information quickly with this format.

I agree with this and the ads, it is hard to get around now and reply etc..

• GAeORGE POWELL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I an 95 years old in 2 months and I have a problem with changes in
    the computer and don't want a new e-mail .

Please don't try to make me use it.

Old WWII pilot trying to get along. MAY USE some other mail

I agree. Too Cluttered. In my opinion, Outlook seems determined to ruin one of the most user friendly, simple email services. Disappointed with the ongoing changes.

Did I miss the option to vote on these horrible changes that makes email much harder to read and reply?

• Anon. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. It gets too cluttered when the email chain is long, and they are all on top of the space you write the next message.

• Torben Møller Pedersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kan kun være enig, kraftig tilbagegang at man ikke kan åbne mailen i eget vindue, denne nye version kunne få mig til at forlade outlook!!

When I'm in a new email I've just received, I only see the persons response. I dont see what I've asked before or what has been said throughout the whole conversation. I want to be able to click into an email and see everything I asked including all the correspondence.

• Peter Ragwar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The entire parameter is clumsy yet no body cares about our plights. When composing a letter I am only able to see half the page.

← Previous 1 3 4

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base