OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. settings

Most settings have disappeared from the "Full settings" section! Where have blocked senders, offline storage and sorting rules gone?

186 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

71 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! Over the past few months, we’ve added many settings. We now support almost all of the same settings that we did in the old experience.

We’ve added support for blocked senders and rules, though we have ended offline support due to low usage.

2. SPAM!

The amount of annoying pop ups trying to push new "features" feels very untrustworthy. Mail services should not be confused with social interactive sites.

183 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  70 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I am not able to check my contact list alphabetically while sending email by clicking on new email .

I am not able to check my contact list alphabetically while sending email by clicking on new email .

178 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

220 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As of yesterday, the Contact Picker dialog has been returned to an alphabetical A-Z sort order. As many comments show, lots of Outlook.com users are already seeing the fixed behavior. If you do not observe this in your Outlook Web session, you will need to refresh your browser (or maybe even clear your cache).

Again, the sort order not being alphabetical A-Z was always a bug and was never by design.

You may be interested to know the next item on our plan for the Contact Picker: Soon, there will be a way to type letters and by so doing filter the list down to matching entries. This means you shouldn’t need to scroll over and over, in the future.

Thanks for your continued support.

4. connected account

Editing Connected Accounts is not available in Beta.

175 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for the feedback. This feature should now be deployed world wide. To setup/view your connected accounts please follow these steps.

1) Click on the Gear in the top right
    2) Click on View Settings at the bottom of the Quick Settings Pane
    3) Under the Mail Tab there is a Sync Email setting. This is the connected accounts area. You can add new ones, or see the ones you already added.

Thanks for using outlook.com!

5. Takes forever to load "because of a long-running script"

Over and over, I can't get it to load at all -- freezes the screen and says it's because of a long-running script. This can go on for many times over 20 minutes. And then the next time I open it, it starts all over again.

167 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – First off thanks for using outlook.com, and sorry you have been hitting these long running script issues. Over the last few months we have been working to address all of the performance issues, and fix these bugs.

If you try the new experience again, I think it will be much improved for you. As always, please report back and give any feedback!

Thanks!

6. Could not finds OPTIONS to list blocked email addresses etc. Visually it is better.

I want to be able to view and edit blocked emial address/domains.

166 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback!

You can see your list of blocked senders by going to:
    Settings (Gear icon at top-right) → “View all Outlook settings” → “Mail” → “Junk email”.

You can add, edit and delete senders and domains – and you can now search through your list.

7. I used to be able to alphabetically sort emails in folders by subject. This is no longer an option. Please add a subject sort.

I set up over 250 recipes using the subject sort that was previously available. Now I have a folder of recipes that I have to go through one by one to find a particular recipe. Please restore our ability to select a sort by subject within folders.

162 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

97 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Dark theme with dark mode and dark writing pan

dark theme is not available with dark mode also in dark mode the writing pan is still in light mode. make it dark as well to avoid eyes irritation and save battery life as well

160 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. show from

When writing an email, I'd like the option to always display the FROM line as a default. I use several email addresses and this would let me know which one is in use at any time.

156 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

104 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you very much for providing the valuable feedback and for using Outlook.com. We truly do appreciate it!

I did want to let you know that based on your feedback, we have added back the FROM drop down on the compose form when you have multiple email accounts/aliases.

We hope that this helps improve the new Client experience for everyone.

Please keep the feedback coming!

Thanks

David Los

10. I never had intrusive audio ads before the beta. Ads are fine, AUDIO is not. Blasting commercials are a huge annoyance.

Don't allow audio without permission. Ever. For anything. NO sound effects either. No springing audio from emojis and such. None.

152 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off thanks again for using outlook.com and reporting your feedback on ads! As Lynn mentioned before, we do not allow ads with audio. We have been making sure that this does not happen going forward.

Please let us know if you have any other problems with ads going forward.

Thanks!

11. reading pane

There should always be an option to have the reading pane below the message list. If there is not, I will no longer use hotmail. Of course, I only use it for my junk email now anyway as Inbox by Gmail fits my needs much better for email that I actually need.

147 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

62 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thanks for all of the great feedback! I just wanted everyone to know that we have options to configure the reading pane in a variety of ways. Including Reading Pane Off, Reading Pane on Bottom, and reading pane on right.

To do this log into your outlook.com account and go into the Beta. From there you can select the Gear in the top right. The quick settings has the reading pane options.

hope this helps!

12. 205 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

99 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. More options for reminder times

Miss being able to add alerts. ie a week two days and two hours, as with the old version.

146 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. External images are accessed violating privacy and security

Outlook automatically fetches external images in email I have received. This is a privacy issue because it may tell the sender that the email reached me. This is a security issue because may of these messages, from senders both trustworthy (i.e. financial institutions with which I do business) and untrustworthy (marketing email) disclose sufficient information in web bugs and other external references to allow a third party to capture PII.

What makes this more puzzling is that some emails have a header reporting that external references have been blocked because the sender isn't in the safe senders list. These include…

144 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there – Thanks again for all of the feedback and for using Outlook.com.

I just wanted to let you know that there is indeed an option to block images from loading from anyone not on your safe sender list.

Go into the Settings, select Junk Mail and look under the filter section. The second option will block all images from loading unless you explicitly say.

thanks!

15. Being forced to use OneDrive IS BAD - I will always reject Outlook if it forces me to use OnDrive

Being forced to use OneDrive IS BAD - I will always reject Outlook if it forces me to use OnDrive

142 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for all the wonderful feedback! I just wanted to let you know that we have done some improvements on the outlook.com file attachment experience. We for sure don’t force you to use onedrive.com. However, the option to attach items from onedrive.com is there, we still do allow you to attach classic attachments from your own computer.

Hope this helps, and feel free to give us some more feedback after you try out the new experience!

Thanks

16. 140 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

220 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. cannot find Junk Email options (blocked, safe senders) in "Outlook.com beta"

cannot find Junk Email options (blocked, safe senders) in "Outlook.com beta"

140 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback!

You can block a user:
    - In the junk folder by clicking “Not spam” → “Block” in the top menu bar
    - In any folder by right-clicking → “Block”
    - On any email item by selecting More actions (“…” menu next to reply/forward) → “Block sender”

You can add a user to your safe senders:
    - On any email item by selecting More actions (“…” menu next to reply/forward) → “Add to safe senders”

You can view your list of blocked/safe sender users and domains by going to Settings (Gear icon at top-right) → “View all Outlook settings” → “Mail” → “Junk email”

18. Missing emails

Now that emails have somehow been prioritised, other emails seem to be missing or extremely hard to find. The previous list of ALL emails in order of when received seems much simpler.

140 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

210 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I would like to personally thank you all for using outlook.com and for providing all of the great feedback.

It seems that there are a couple of issues that got reported on this topic. They are that some people seem to be missing email that they saw previously, or are not seeing new emails that are coming in. And secondly, they want to view their email in one list instead of the Focused Other view.

Both of these should be a simple fix.

To disable Focused Other follow these simple steps

1) Login to your outlook.com mailbox
    2) In the top right there is a Gear icon, This is settings click it.
    3) This opens up the quick settings view. From here you can disabled Focused Inbox.

Once you have it disabled you will go back to the old view where everything is in a single Inbox view.

19. beta

I love Outlook.com but am disappointed in the handling of this beta as I was in the previous beta. Beta Test: "In software development, a beta test is the second phase of software testing in which a sampling of the intended audience tries the product out." (from Bing definitions). Yet, as I use Outlook.com beta and come here to provide feedback/vote on other feedback, I'm finding comments such as, "This functionality will be coming back to the beta in a future update."

Regular beta testers do not expect a regression from the current product when testing. Rather, they are presented…

140 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thanks for all of the great feedback on the new experience as we as how we ran the Beta. As you may know we have been reacting to the feedback and using it to prioritize the work that the team does.

One of the areas that we did for sure hear was you want more clarity on what changes we are making going forward. As we land the final changes, we are also introducing the Whats New Pane. This pane will be used to announce features and changes to the outlook.com experience.

Thanks again for all of the great feedback!

20. 138 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

63 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base