OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make it less cluttered

I didnt like it. I don't like how much more difficult this is getting to navigate and cluttered it is. I miss hotmail. Simple. Effective. You can see the emails, organize them, get to them. Same with your contacts thats ALL that an email service is supposed to do, all that we need it to do.

1,711 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

202 comments  ·  Chat  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off…

2. The multi-select feature does NOT work correctly on the new Beta Outlook.com

Although you can select ALL using the checkbox icon at the top of the email list, you can't UNSELECT (or DESELECT) individual emails. I tried clicking individual email checkboxes (results in all emails unselected) and I tried ctrl+clicking the email (same result). This is a major fail.

1,619 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

74 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. New feedback

This new version is garbage, confusing, with avatars that I do not want to see, few emails per page and visually horrible. They should ask the user if they like the new version or allow the previous one to be used. I'm going to close the account after many years. It's just Horrible !!!

1,456 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

120 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

4. Restore the option to use Categories / Labels / Tags

Hello,

In the current Outlook Mail you can have both Folders and Categories / Labels / Tags.

Could you enable it for the new Outlook as well?

Thank You.

1,414 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

100 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that we’ve heard your feedback and have rebuilt categories with some added features!

You can now easily apply a custom category and give it a name and color of your choice by either clicking the “Categorize” button in the top menu bar or by right-clicking on an email and going to “Categorize”. You can also filter a category by directly clicking on it in your list of emails.

We have even more innovation planned soon for categories. For more help on using categories, please visit:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-categories-in-outlook-com-a0f709a4-9bd8-45d7-a2b3-b6f8c299e079#bkmk_beta

5. Get rid of the "focused/other" folders

Still don't like the "focused/other" distinction, especially since a lot of important stuff ends up in "other". There's already the junk folder to get rid of useless e-mails, I don't need another filter, especially one that decides for me what's important and what's not.

1,330 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

446 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback on the Outlook.com beta! I fully understand that the Focused/Other feature is one that might take a little getting used to, and might not fit everyone’s workflow.

The good news I have is that you can turn this feature off yourself:

1. Go to Settings
    2. Where it says Sort messages into Focused and other, toggle it to Off

https://support.office.com/article/Get-help-with-the-Outlook-com-beta-fa2e5110-fa17-4b3b-88c8-87812230a048

Let me know if this doesn’t work. Please keep the feedback flowing, we’d love to make the beta experience an amazing one for you!

6. Block Sender

It is ridiculous that I have to type in the address of the email that is sending me junk. Why would I want to open an email to get the address? Just hitting the Block Sender was so much safer. This is ridiculous.

1,214 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

184 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Can no longer drag & drop emails to folders

Can no longer drag and drop emails to folders. It only works if that email is not the current one open. So if I have only one email left in my inbox (I like to keep my inbox empty) I can't drag and drop that last remaining email because that one is "open" I have to click on the little circle to the left of the email, then from the drop down folder menu click on the folder I want it to go to. This is more time consuming .This is using google chrome and IE and from other computers…

1,167 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

131 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. dark/night mode is essential

Nowadays a dark or night mode is a necessary feature IMO.

1,128 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

386 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It is my greatest pleasure to share this piece of news with you: Dark Mode is here, on the new Outlook.com!

What is Dark Mode?
    Dark Mode is a more-pleasant way to read your Outlook.com email if you prefer interfaces that are less bright or if you are in a low-light environment. Dark Mode is available on the new Outlook.com experience (formerly known as the Outlook.com Beta experience) only.

How do I turn it on?
    To turn on Dark Mode, open the Quick Settings panel by selecting the Gear icon at the top of your screen. The option to enable Dark Mode is near the top of the panel, immediately under Theme selection. If your browser is unable to support Dark Mode, consider using Microsoft Edge.

Why is Dark Mode not a theme?
    When we designed Dark Mode, we debated having it exist in Outlook.com as a theme. We quickly…

9. 1,130 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

74 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

December 2017: A checkbox has always been available in the message list for you to select multiple items with. Moving your mouse cursor over the colored circles that have sender pictures (on the left side in the message list), you will find an unfilled checkbox for you to check. You can perform multi-select actions this way, before deleting.

10. 4 column layout is not good for reading email content.

the screen is separated into 4 columns: folder list, email subject list, email content and ads. I do not mind ads but it takes a huge potion of screen if 4 columns!
    I can't read the email content in such a small column area!
    No one write an email that expected people read in column!

1,112 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

201 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – First off thanks for all of the valuable feedback. We review it all and try to ensure we are addressing things! I just wanted to give some updates about all of the feedback about the multiple columns

We totally understand that some of you really do not enjoy the multi column or reading pane on the right hand side.

So we have introduced a few quick settings that will allow you to configure the experience in a way that is pleasing to you.

Once you are logged into your mailbox (and in the Beta) do the following
    1) Click on the Gear in the top right hand corner
    2) This will show the Quick Settings Pane
    3) The items you will likely want to configure are Reading Pane. For this you can Either turn it off, have it on the bottom, or on the right.
    4) Message…

11. Do not auto open the next email when I mark an email is junk

If you have marked a mail as a junk mail, the next mail will be opened automatically. That disturbs. I would like to move them unopened as junk mail.

1,094 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off thank you for taking the time to provide all of this valuable feedback! I just wanted to update you on progress for some work.

We are happy to say that we have changed the way junk mail deletes work. Instead of opening the message automatically we return to the message list. This directly addresses the feedback that we have heard from all of you.

Hope this helps!

David Los

12. Rules are not working

my email rule is not work

1,059 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

294 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you, everyone, for reporting this issue to us. We understand the frustration around this issue that has been ongoing for some time, and are working to track down issues.

In order to help us pinpoint issues, please be as descriptive as possible in highlighting what your specific issue is when posting a comment.

In the meanwhile, here are some instructions and help to attempt to mitigate issues with your Mailbox:

- In order to create rules: 1) Right-click on a specific email and select “Create rule”. 2) Select the overflow menu in the top menu bar and click “Create rule”. 3) Click “Settings” → “Mail” → “Rules” → “Add new rules”

- Rules run in order from top to bottom on your rules list in the rules settings page. If you have a rule created with the option “Stop processing more rules” (enabled by default), once that rule condition…

13. Hate the beta

i really hate
    the new update
    hate hate hate
    the new update
    it not even great
    the new update
    reasons why i hate?
    why i can think of 8
    so change it back mate
    to the old update

(BTW the only good thing is colours)

1,059 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

178 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off…

14. Allow Block Senders to block Top Level Domains

I am pretty sure I will NEVER need to get email from the top level domains .ru or .xyz. These messages are ALWAYS spam. just let us block these top level domains.

1,035 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

99 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that you can now block top-level domains in Outlook.

Go to:
    1) Settings (gear icon in top right)
    2) Click “View full settings”
    3) Click “Junk email”
    4) Scroll to “Blocked domains” section
    5) Type in a domain name you want to block (For example, if I want to block all emails from @blockeddomain.com, enter “blockeddomain.com”
    6) Click “Add”

15. the look and feel

The look and feel is just terrible. There is way too much going on. I would like to keep it simple just like with the current UI. If this beta doesnt change and goes to production I am definitely switching over to gmail

994 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

16. Option to turn off Conversation view

Please allow option to turn off conversation view.

911 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

305 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you all for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback and sharing your opinions. Also I want to thank you for using outlook.com!

Now I just wanted to take a moment and provide you an update around some of the conversation view settings. There has been some folks that rather not have the conversation view, and return to the older style of viewing. I am happy to say that this is now an option

To do this do the following:

1) Go to the Gear menu in the top of the new outlook.com experience
    2) This opens the quick settings pane.
    3) For Conversation View, you can select Off. This will put you back into the experience you are more used to.

Finally, you can also change the sort order (newest on top, newest on bottom). This should give you the same flexibility that you had…

17. Restore View Source

Restore the View Source feature. Ideally, it would be more like the old Hotmail mechanism where the source opened in a separate web page that could be saved instead of a popup from which the user must copy

903 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

364 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – Thanks for using Outlook.com! I just wanted to let you know that there is now a way to view Message Source. To do this, do the following:

1) Select the message that you want to view
    2) In the reading pane you will see a little Chevron (arrow down) next to the Reply, Reply All, Forward buttons.
    3) When you click it you will see View Message Source.

Hope this helps!

Feel free to keep the feedback coming!

18. double click email / Pop Out

I want to double click my message to see the full message rather than the squashed preview, it's missing some information unless I scroll the preview pane.

878 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

419 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. "Send" goes to drafts

Everything I "send" goes to drafts and doesn't get sent.

856 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

520 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. When scrolling through mail it is auto jumping back to top of the page

When scrolling down through emails it keeps randomly returning to the top of the list. When scrolling through older emails and having to wait for them to load into the list it is frustrating to have to go back down and wait each time for them to load.

832 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

347 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve identified one of the issues with Firefox which will be fixed when Firefox updates to version 57.

One of our users has also posted a solution for Firefox that seems to work that you can try in the interim:
    1) Type “about:config” in the address bar.
    2) Click the “I accept the risk” button.
    3) Type “accessibility.blockautorefresh” in the search box (though, you might not have to do this – for me it is the third item from the very top in config).
    4) Double-click on the first item that appears to modify the value to “true”.
    5) Restart Firefox.

We are also working on improving reliability and performance while scrolling that will help alleviate this issue on other browsers like Chrome, Edge, and IE. Those changes should be available soon and we will update this thread once those have been released.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

• Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base