OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Drag & Drop

When trying to drag and drop emails into folders what happens is that the entire reading pane showing the email is being dragged across the screen. This then covers half the screen and you cannot see which folder you are trying to drop into.

90 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Completed  ·  20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Great Design Just Needs some improvements - can't expand message in reading pane

I like the new design and look of the mailbox but I coudn't get a single mail message to open. I can see the preview screen portion of the message but this only shows a small portion of message. Please fix this and I would happily go back to using your beta version.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey there! Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! I understand you’re having trouble with the messages in a conversation and would like to know how you could expand each item.

With Conversations turned on, the Reading Pane shows all messages from the same conversation in one long thread. To expand or collapse, just click near the top of each message.

We don’t currently have a way for you to turn Conversations off in the beta, but you can vote on this idea: http://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/601444-outlook-com-beta/suggestions/20469127-conversation-view-settings-disable-conversation-v

3. Reading Pane on the Bottom

I'd like the reading pane on the bottom of the screen.

3,752 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

425 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. The multi-select feature does NOT work correctly on the new Beta Outlook.com

Although you can select ALL using the checkbox icon at the top of the email list, you can't UNSELECT (or DESELECT) individual emails. I tried clicking individual email checkboxes (results in all emails unselected) and I tried ctrl+clicking the email (same result). This is a major fail.

1,619 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

74 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 2,327 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

228 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve now made it possible to block users in non-junk folders.

Select one or more emails and click the “Junk” dropdown in the top menu bar → “Block”, or right-click on the email and select “Block”.

Note: To block users in the Junk email folder, select the “Not junk” dropdown in the top menu bar → “Block”, or right-click on the email and select “Block”.

6. Hard to tell between read and unread messages

I liked some of the ideas being used in beta, but I hate the new layout! I found it far less readable. It was more difficult to differentiate between read and unread messages quickly. I'd love the option to change the layout to what I prefer. It was enough to make me opt out.

2,683 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  257 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bring back the Skype integration

The Skype ias apparently gone from Outlook.com beta, as the Skype button near the Settings cog icon is nowhere to be found. I think many users didn't like the integration (there was no way to completely disable it) but it still was a nice feature for Skype users.

2,682 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

506 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update January 2018:

Skype is back! :)

More improvements to the Skype integration will come in the future, but for now, please enjoy the upgraded Skype chat experience!

P.S.: If you wish to mute notifications, you can do so in the Settings panel under General > Skype > Notifications.

8. Allow Block Senders to block Top Level Domains

I am pretty sure I will NEVER need to get email from the top level domains .ru or .xyz. These messages are ALWAYS spam. just let us block these top level domains.

1,034 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

85 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that you can now block top-level domains in Outlook.

Go to:
    1) Settings (gear icon in top right)
    2) Click “View full settings”
    3) Click “Junk email”
    4) Scroll to “Blocked domains” section
    5) Type in a domain name you want to block (For example, if I want to block all emails from @blockeddomain.com, enter “blockeddomain.com”
    6) Click “Add”

9. dark/night mode is essential

Nowadays a dark or night mode is a necessary feature IMO.

1,129 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

386 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It is my greatest pleasure to share this piece of news with you: Dark Mode is here, on the new Outlook.com!

What is Dark Mode?
    Dark Mode is a more-pleasant way to read your Outlook.com email if you prefer interfaces that are less bright or if you are in a low-light environment. Dark Mode is available on the new Outlook.com experience (formerly known as the Outlook.com Beta experience) only.

How do I turn it on?
    To turn on Dark Mode, open the Quick Settings panel by selecting the Gear icon at the top of your screen. The option to enable Dark Mode is near the top of the panel, immediately under Theme selection. If your browser is unable to support Dark Mode, consider using Microsoft Edge.

Why is Dark Mode not a theme?
    When we designed Dark Mode, we debated having it exist in Outlook.com as a theme. We quickly…

10. Selecting multiple items in Junk folder

Older version allows you to select multiple items, even all items, in Junk and report them as phishing scams. This beta does not and that is a big fail for me.

1,774 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

63 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback on the Outlook.com beta! We have the delete all button by popular demand, but we also support restoring deleted items for users who make a mistake.

12. Incorrectly escaped quotes in settings

The settings pane (which by the way looks nice) shows unnecessary backslashes (at least in the German translation):
    Nachrichten in \"Relevant\" und \"Sonstige\" sortieren

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback on the Outlook.com Beta! We fully recognize that Outlook.com is used all over the world and work really hard to make sure the experience is amazing in all supported languages.

We are working on this and you should see an update shortly. Please let us know of any other issues! Dankeschön!

Update August 22: This is fixed!

13. More number of emails on sight (hide preview / attachments in list)

Now I can only have on sight 4 or 5 emails on the email list. Before, I could have 17 emails on sight, which is much faster to track previous emails.

On the previous version there was a big screen area just to show two features (separated on two columns):
    -The sender email adress (relevant)
    -The subject (relevant)
    This made it very efficient to filter emails visually (filter = recognize the email and evaluate if its worthy opening it). However, this system is inefficient to enter the emails (another window is needed, yadayada), so that’s why you’re changing it.

Now,…

118 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

95 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback on the Outlook.com beta! We’re happy to say that you can already do what you want to do:

1. Go to your Settings (Full Settings > Mail > Layout), OR alternatively visit https://outlook.live.com/mail/#/options/mail/layout
    2. If you prefer, choose to Hide preview text
    3. If you prefer, choose Don’t show attachments in the message list
    4. If you prefer, choose to Hide reading pane

https://support.office.com/article/Get-help-with-the-Outlook-com-beta-fa2e5110-fa17-4b3b-88c8-87812230a048

We are still working on a solution that lets you popout selected email messages. In the meantime, we hope that this helps! Please keep the ideas to improve Outlook.com flowing!

14. Conversation view settings: disable conversation view or enable item view

I like the look of the new beta, however I wish there was an option to turn off conversation view (i.e. all replies stacked in a single thread). Depending on how you use email, it can be really helpful to have all emails listed individually.

9,820 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1153 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

December 2017: Thanks for your patience and continued use of the Outlook.com beta! We roll out new improvements every week, and are elated to announce that a recent update opened up this feature to you! You now can turn off Conversation View and show each item in your message list as its own entry. To do so, use the Settings (gear-shaped button) menu.

We will continue to make other improvements to the Outlook.com beta experience; thanks for your support!

15. Get rid of the "focused/other" folders

Still don't like the "focused/other" distinction, especially since a lot of important stuff ends up in "other". There's already the junk folder to get rid of useless e-mails, I don't need another filter, especially one that decides for me what's important and what's not.

1,330 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

436 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback on the Outlook.com beta! I fully understand that the Focused/Other feature is one that might take a little getting used to, and might not fit everyone’s workflow.

The good news I have is that you can turn this feature off yourself:

1. Go to Settings
    2. Where it says Sort messages into Focused and other, toggle it to Off

https://support.office.com/article/Get-help-with-the-Outlook-com-beta-fa2e5110-fa17-4b3b-88c8-87812230a048

Let me know if this doesn’t work. Please keep the feedback flowing, we’d love to make the beta experience an amazing one for you!

16. Permanently delete old messages and recover other deleted items

I like to be able to PERMANENTLY delete old messages. In the Deleted folder I select "Recover Deleted" and then Purge from that back-up folder. (Incidentally, "Select All" on right-click does not appear to work in Alpha.)
    What is the position re deleted messages in Beta? Recover Deleted is not offered.

261 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

45 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for all of the great feedback on Outlook.com. The funcationality to view deleted items, as well as quickly purge them all has rolled out to all users.

You can find it by navigating over to the Beta, and clicking on Deleted Items. You will notice at the top of the page there is a link to view the previously deleted items. From here there is a one click delete all in case you want to purge it.

Thanks again for all of the feedback, and please keep it coming!

David Los

17. Allow users to turn off the sender photos and color icons in the message list

Allow users to turn off the sender photos in the message list (the middle column of the three). It's overly busy for my tastes.

(Full disclosure, I'm a Microsoft employee)

2,640 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

251 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback!
    To turn these off do the following:
    1) Click on the Gear in the upper right hand corner
    2) In the Quick Settings Pane that opened look for Sender Photos
    3) You can enable or disable the Sender photos right there.
    Thanks for the feedback, and please keep it coming!

18. Why did you change my settings? Messages in reverse order

I clicked on your “Try the beta” ad and all my messages are in reverse order… like, the unread emails are now at the bottom of the conversation. I spent some time in that mode because I didn’t see a way to change it back. Eventually I got used to it and it kinda makes sense now I think about it with everything in chronological order from top to bottom. I wish you asked first though. Not cool, Outlook.com.

Disclaimer: I work for Microsoft.

PS: yeah, I found the way to change the mode in the settings panel. i’m staying…

593 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

75 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Bring back flight details

Some time last year you all added flight details to the top of booking confirmation emails. I really liked it! That made it super easy to figure out the important information like booking reference number and flight number etc. Please bring it back.

Thanks - a Microsoft employee

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 92 93 94 96 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base