OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Hide or collapse flagged / pinned messages

Hi,

It could be nice to have the possibility to hide/unhide flagged (important) messages from the list. Like that it would be much easier to see the message you just received now.

Thank you

226 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

45 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I would like to thank everyone for using Outlook.com and for providing all of this great feedback!

We have been reviewing all of the varying feedback for pinned items. One of the things that we heard loud and clear was that you love Pinned Items, however lots of folks felt they were taking to much space up.

We are happy to say that we have adjsuted the UI to make them very clear that they are pinned as well as reduce the size that they take in your message list.

I hope that you enjoy these changes, and as always thanks for using Outlook and please keep the great feedback coming!

David Los

2. Spelling error in the onboarding tour in European Portuguese

I don't exactly remember the details of this typo since I already viewed the "tour" for the Outlook.com beta and I believe I can't get it back. However, it had to do with the single occurrence of the word "refina" in European Portuguese, which I believe is in the context of refining search results. It should instead be spelled "refine." Using an example for a more technical explanation:

• "Refina os resultados de pesquisa" means "refine the search results" if addressing the user informally, which is not the case for Outlook.com.
    • "Refine os resultados de pesquisa" means the same,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback on the Outlook.com Beta! We fully recognize that Outlook.com is used all over the world and work really hard to make sure the experience is amazing in all supported languages.

I’ll get this piece of feedback to the team. Muito obrigado!

Update August 25: This is now fixed.

3. to much unicorne/girly colors

I prefer the designs more sober and functional as MS Office Outlook on 2010
    I don't use calandar nor photos nor else. I use mail function only cause Hotmail is only my mail box.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback on the Outlook.com beta! If you click the settings gear in the upper right, it will open theme customization which will let you pick a sober or professional theme. Let us know if there are other aspects of the experience you are finding too bright.

4. 6,218 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

235 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Keyboard shortcuts not working

I'm trying the new open beta. In this preview, the keyboard shortcuts are not working. Even tried with different kb-shortcuts like Outlook.com, Gmail, ... It is set to Outlook (not Outlook.com) by default. The shortcuts were working in the old layout. Please fix ASAP.

492 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

275 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. I like the mode with the Reading Pane off

You turned it on for me... can you let me turn it off?

The Reading Pane takes up too much space on the right, and I want my previews to show up in an ordered way (right now it might be a little hard to tell which word belongs to which thing).

29,237 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2107 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that you can turn the Reading Pane off yourself by taking these steps:

1. Go to Settings (you should see the Quick Settings in the side pane)
    2. Reading pane > Hide (it’s a radio button)

If this is the mode you prefer, go right ahead and personalize your Outlook.com that way!

7. There needs to be an option to delete/clear search history!

There is no way to delete/clear search history in Outlook.com!!!!!! This is crazy! This is a basic necessity!

187 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

46 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for all of the great feedback, and for using outlook.com! I just wanted to let you know that everyone should be able to clear their search history now.

To do this follow these steps

1) Click the Gear/Cog in the top right hand corner
    2) Click Full Settings at the bottom of the Quick Setting Pane
    3) Select General in the left
    4) Select Export

From here you can delete your search history, export it if you want a copy, or request an export of your mailbox.

Hope this helps!

David Los

8. Allow us to turn Favorites off

Allow us to turn off Favorites and hide it from view in the folders column.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

128 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback on the Outlook.com beta! It’s my pleasure to inform you that you can already achieve this behavior by unfavoriting the folders currently under Favorites.

In the Folder Pane, hover over each item in the Favorites section. Click on the solid star that shows up. Once you have zero items in the Favorites section, Favorites will no longer show in the Folder Pane.

9. Change "Add a message" to Reply All or Reply

Add a message is very chat-like.
    Unless that is the vision, I suggest changing it to a simple "Reply All" or "Reply". It can be the former if there are many recipients and the latter if there is only one recipient. This also allows for a future feature addition (if needed) - to only reply, and not reply all by default.

Secondly, to maintain consistency with message lists above, provide a dropdown on the right to Reply to sender, instead of doing a Reply All, and also to forward.

66 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for providing your feedback on the Outlook.com beta. We’ll take this into consideration as we make updates to the reply experience.

Update August 18: We have fixed this. Please don’t stop giving us your feedback on the Outlook.com beta!

10. Move mail from junk folder back to inbox

Change my inbox for my mail and not include it in junk mail

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. External images are accessed violating privacy and security

Outlook automatically fetches external images in email I have received. This is a privacy issue because it may tell the sender that the email reached me. This is a security issue because may of these messages, from senders both trustworthy (i.e. financial institutions with which I do business) and untrustworthy (marketing email) disclose sufficient information in web bugs and other external references to allow a third party to capture PII.

What makes this more puzzling is that some emails have a header reporting that external references have been blocked because the sender isn't in the safe senders list. These include…

144 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there – Thanks again for all of the feedback and for using Outlook.com.

I just wanted to let you know that there is indeed an option to block images from loading from anyone not on your safe sender list.

Go into the Settings, select Junk Mail and look under the filter section. The second option will block all images from loading unless you explicitly say.

thanks!

12. My coworker accidentally unchecked "Try the beta" and now she can't get it ack

My coworker and I accessed the Outlook beta via the direct URL, but she accidentally unchecked "Try the beta". Now when she tries to re-access the beta via URL, it will flash the beta theme, then go back to the old theme. This is noted in a few blog posts, including on the Verge: "Don’t untick the “try the beta” toggle though, as this will permanently remove you from the beta interface, even with this workaround."

Is there anyway to get this back?

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Restore View Source

Restore the View Source feature. Ideally, it would be more like the old Hotmail mechanism where the source opened in a separate web page that could be saved instead of a popup from which the user must copy

903 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

362 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – Thanks for using Outlook.com! I just wanted to let you know that there is now a way to view Message Source. To do this, do the following:

1) Select the message that you want to view
    2) In the reading pane you will see a little Chevron (arrow down) next to the Reply, Reply All, Forward buttons.
    3) When you click it you will see View Message Source.

Hope this helps!

Feel free to keep the feedback coming!

14. Ads take up too much space

I also have an Office 365 Home subscription... can that remove ads for me?

6,332 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

828 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update January 2018:

We have confirmed that all users whose email addresses have an Office 365 subscription attached to it are getting the ad-free Outlook.com experience. We encourage anyone who would like the ad-free Outlook.com experience to sign up for an Office 365 subscription, which comes with a plethora of additional perks and benefits.

In addition to this, users who would like to have a larger reading surface may find the Reading Pane Off/Hidden mode more preferable. This setting may be found in the Quick Settings panel, under Reading Pane > Hide.

15. Restore the option to use Categories / Labels / Tags

Hello,

In the current Outlook Mail you can have both Folders and Categories / Labels / Tags.

Could you enable it for the new Outlook as well?

Thank You.

1,414 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

100 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that we’ve heard your feedback and have rebuilt categories with some added features!

You can now easily apply a custom category and give it a name and color of your choice by either clicking the “Categorize” button in the top menu bar or by right-clicking on an email and going to “Categorize”. You can also filter a category by directly clicking on it in your list of emails.

We have even more innovation planned soon for categories. For more help on using categories, please visit:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-categories-in-outlook-com-a0f709a4-9bd8-45d7-a2b3-b6f8c299e079#bkmk_beta

16. Drag & Drop

When trying to drag and drop emails into folders what happens is that the entire reading pane showing the email is being dragged across the screen. This then covers half the screen and you cannot see which folder you are trying to drop into.

90 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Great Design Just Needs some improvements - can't expand message in reading pane

I like the new design and look of the mailbox but I coudn't get a single mail message to open. I can see the preview screen portion of the message but this only shows a small portion of message. Please fix this and I would happily go back to using your beta version.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey there! Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! I understand you’re having trouble with the messages in a conversation and would like to know how you could expand each item.

With Conversations turned on, the Reading Pane shows all messages from the same conversation in one long thread. To expand or collapse, just click near the top of each message.

We don’t currently have a way for you to turn Conversations off in the beta, but you can vote on this idea: http://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/601444-outlook-com-beta/suggestions/20469127-conversation-view-settings-disable-conversation-v

18. Reading Pane on the Bottom

I'd like the reading pane on the bottom of the screen.

3,752 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

425 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. The multi-select feature does NOT work correctly on the new Beta Outlook.com

Although you can select ALL using the checkbox icon at the top of the email list, you can't UNSELECT (or DESELECT) individual emails. I tried clicking individual email checkboxes (results in all emails unselected) and I tried ctrl+clicking the email (same result). This is a major fail.

1,619 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

74 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 2,327 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

230 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve now made it possible to block users in non-junk folders.

Select one or more emails and click the “Junk” dropdown in the top menu bar → “Block”, or right-click on the email and select “Block”.

Note: To block users in the Junk email folder, select the “Not junk” dropdown in the top menu bar → “Block”, or right-click on the email and select “Block”.

• Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base