OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. In the beta version, "Create rule..." from message is not available. Bummer.

When I get an email, in the existing version of outlook web, I can just select the message and "Create rule..."
    to send that message to a folder or forward it to another email ID

In outlook.com Beta, I do not see that feature.

688 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

31 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  thconsta responded

We’re happy to say “Create rule” from a message is now in the beta! Same as the regular version, simply right-click on any message and select this option. You can also view your entire list of rules (including those you created in your regular Outlook) by going into Full settings > Mail > Rules.

Currently you can only create a rule to move messages from selected senders to a folder, however, more options are coming soon!

2. Need colored emojis

The emojis are still awful looking black and white drawings. Please bring back the proper, coloured emojis!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Missing block for select all in Junk folder

JUNK select all needs block button

193 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

64 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the late response on this one! It totally fell off our radar to close out.

I just wanted to let you know that you can in fact bulk mark as phishing or block from the junk folder.

If you select multiple or select all you can use the not junk drop down at the top of screen and select block.

Hope this helps!

David Los

5. Send button when replying within the same screen (inline)

It would be really useful to be able to hit "send" when replying to an email within the existing screen. You have to hit the full screen button before the send button appears. This is maddening. If this is the direction Outlook is going, I'm done. This is terrible. I don't know how it was even possible for your software engineers to hide the "send" button, which apparently they don't believe is an important step in sending email??? I have been a lifelong fan of Microsoft but you guys are exhausting with the way your products complicate simple concepts. How…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! For replies that are on the same screen (or inline), the Send button is beneath the reply box.

We moved the Send button to the bottom because as you type your email you’re moving from the top to the bottom. Hope this helps! :)

P.S: The shortcut to Send is also Ctrl+Enter on most systems. Try it!

6. 47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  thconsta responded

Thanks for trying the Beta! We’re happy to say we do have a way to modify the order of conversations!

To set reading pane on top:
    Click on the settings wheel and switch “Conversations” from “Newest on bottom” to “Newest on top”

To remove reading pane:
    Click on the settings wheel and switch “Inbox layout” from “Show reading pane” to “Hide reading pane”

7. reading pane

In the old version clicking on the inbox after clicking on a message refreshes the reading pane leaving it empty. In the beta version doing the same thing leaves up the last clicked message. Would like to clear out the reading pane if no message is clicked.

204 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

42 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Search results do not show what folder a message is in

In the previous version of Outlook, there was a column to show in what folder the message was found. Now it only displays the list of messages. Due to this, there is no way to know if the messages displayed are in Deleted Items, Inbox, Outbox, or custom folders. This is a pretty important feature for keeping emails organized.

The "top results" makes search results more confusing. About 98% of the time I'm seeking a message from a sender and enter that into the search box. I don't need "top results" such as what an internet search performs. Just show…

314 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. inbox says messages / can't view them

left pane says new message(s) in inbox, but, unless I first go to another ( any other ) folder, then back to inbox, they are not visible / readable .. surely this must be wrong ? ..
    also, not as many options in settings menu ? i have " linked " / "other " accounts & can't now see any way to admin' them ?

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for using Outlook.com and for taking the time to provide feedback!

I am sorry for any bugs or problems you hit in the new Outlook.com experience.

We have been working hard to address these issues. I just tested and confirmed that I am not seeing this problem any more.

Can you give it another try and report back by opening up a new feedback thread or contacting support from within Outlook.com?

Thanks

David Los

10. How to delete a email without select or preview

I didn't see a delete button, so I can delete all the e-mails I don't even want to open, because I know it's junk.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. I really like the visual layout of the new settings!

Hi

I just want to say that I really like the visual layout of the new settings area! It is great to have small thumbnails show me the options I have inside the settings for each area. Good job!

There is space for more options inside the settings area shown in a similar nice way.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for the great feedback. I just wanted to let you all know that we did add many more options to the Beta. Including Mobile Devices, Connected Accounts, Forwarding, Rules, and Junk settings.

Hope you all are enjoying everything we have added. Keep the feedback coming!

David Los

12. Cannot Print from PDF Attachments

I upgraded to Beta version and could not print from PDF attachments using the preview view without saving it first. I was on a public computer and was not going to save sensitive documents to it. This is a deal breaker for me and occurred at the worst possible time. I also tried saving it to OneDrive but when I tried to print I got a pop up message saying Microsoft recommends downloading the attachment first and wouldn't allow me to print. This is basic functionality that I hope Microsoft hasn't forgotten. Also, when are you going to fix your…

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback, and reporting this issue.

I just wanted you all to know that we did a bunch of fixing and addressing bugs in the Print areas. One of these had to do with not properly printing pdf attachments.

I just tried printing out a pdf, and it worked. Please let me know if you hit any other issues. I will keep an eye out for any additional feedback here

Again, thanks for reporting the issue and using outlook.com!

Dave

13. font format

What happened to font and bullet formatting toolbar?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for giving feedback on the Outlook.com beta! If I understand correctly, you’re not finding the formatting options when replying to an email.

The formatting toolbar could be shown and hidden from the reply experience. If it is hidden and you’d like to show it, simply open it (it’s beneath the reply textbox) to get access to the formatting options.

14. Switch Mail/Calendar/People/Photos/Tasks buttons back to horizontal instead of vertical

While I believe this layout is an improvement overall, I think having the Mail/Calendar/People/Photos/Tasks buttons going vertical in the lower left corner should be changed back to horizontal and at the bottom of the folder pane. Having one section just for these adds wasteful white space on the left that takes away from listing folder trees, and it is not consistent with the experience across Calendar and People, as they switch back to horizontal when switching apps. This also doesn't match behavior in Outlook desktop client that most end-users are trained for. Please switch that view back, or at least…

86 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 138 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

63 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. I tryed the Outlook.com beta today. I unable to find a way to print a sent message.

Where is the Print button? I was trying to print a Sent message but I could not find a way to print it.

Not very intuitive if you can't find a print button in 10 minutes.

72 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 136 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – First off thank you very much for all of the wonderful feedback on the Sender Photos / Initials (color bubbles next to email).

I did want to let you know that we have made some design updates that hope that they address some of the concerns. Also I wanted to let you know that you are able to disable them if you do not like them.

To do this Click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. And from the pane, select Sender Image to disabled.

Hope this helps!

David Los

18. My waffle is missing some tiles (i.e. Power BI)

My waffle is missing some tiles (i.e. Power BI)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There was a bug for a few hours which exposed the Outlook.com beta as an option for O365 users. This is now turned off. The beta is not yet ready for O365.

19. 399 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

152 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback on the Outlook.com beta! We really appreciate this usability feedback. The reply/reply-all/forward options are there under a menu in the upper right corner of an email, but we understand they are not discoverable enough for you and we are considering several solutions. We will reply when we have an update.

Update August 17: We are working on making the individual buttons readily available.

Update August 18: We have fixed this. Please don’t stop giving us your feedback on the Outlook.com beta!

20. There are no up and down arrows to move to the previous or next message.

Add back the Up and Down arrows so you can quickly toggle through the emails w/o opening them..

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback on the Outlook.com beta! We support this in the beta in the view with the reading pane off which you can access by clicking on settings. We are currently not planning on adding it to the view with the reading pane on, because the up/down arrow keys work on the message list in the same way. We will continue to monitor this feedback.

• Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base