OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bug: sending email

New mail or reply -> write your message -> click on the send button and then it's loading indefinitely indicating that sending is in progress.
    On page reload, I can see that the message has been sent with success.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Screen flicker in Firefox

Wouldn't work correctly in Firefox 52.3.0 32 bit. Screen kept flickering, but works great in Chrome.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – I just wanted to reach out and see if anyone is still having problems with the screen flickering on Firefox. I have been spending sometime using firefox over the last few days and have not been able to reproduce this issue.

Please open up a new feedback topic if you are seeing this still.

Thanks!

David Los

3. beta

I love Outlook.com but am disappointed in the handling of this beta as I was in the previous beta. Beta Test: "In software development, a beta test is the second phase of software testing in which a sampling of the intended audience tries the product out." (from Bing definitions). Yet, as I use Outlook.com beta and come here to provide feedback/vote on other feedback, I'm finding comments such as, "This functionality will be coming back to the beta in a future update."

Regular beta testers do not expect a regression from the current product when testing. Rather, they are presented…

140 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thanks for all of the great feedback on the new experience as we as how we ran the Beta. As you may know we have been reacting to the feedback and using it to prioritize the work that the team does.

One of the areas that we did for sure hear was you want more clarity on what changes we are making going forward. As we land the final changes, we are also introducing the Whats New Pane. This pane will be used to announce features and changes to the outlook.com experience.

Thanks again for all of the great feedback!

4. When in "Add a Message" pane, my email that i reply from becomes an undeliverable address.

My email, when I reply, automatically changes to an "outlook_mumbo-jumbo-of-numbers" email that is undeliverable when the sender replies again and that is not my own.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – First off, thank you for reporting this issue! And more importantly, using outlook.com.

We haven’t been able to reproduce this issue, and haven’t had any new reports of it over the last few months. So I am going to close this topic on out for now. If you are still experiencing this please let us know. Feel free to open up a new in app feedback for it.

5. Could not finds OPTIONS to list blocked email addresses etc. Visually it is better.

I want to be able to view and edit blocked emial address/domains.

166 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback!

You can see your list of blocked senders by going to:
    Settings (Gear icon at top-right) → “View all Outlook settings” → “Mail” → “Junk email”.

You can add, edit and delete senders and domains – and you can now search through your list.

6. 73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there, first off I just wanted to thank each and everyone of you for using outlook.com and for providing such great actionable feedback!

A lot has changed with the new outlook.com experience since you left this feedback.

If you are not a fan of the Reading Pane, you can disable it by clicking the Gear in the top right hand corner. The quick settings pane will open. Look for Reading Pane settings.

Hope this helps!

David Los

7. Being forced to use OneDrive IS BAD - I will always reject Outlook if it forces me to use OnDrive

Being forced to use OneDrive IS BAD - I will always reject Outlook if it forces me to use OnDrive

142 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for all the wonderful feedback! I just wanted to let you know that we have done some improvements on the outlook.com file attachment experience. We for sure don’t force you to use onedrive.com. However, the option to attach items from onedrive.com is there, we still do allow you to attach classic attachments from your own computer.

Hope this helps, and feel free to give us some more feedback after you try out the new experience!

Thanks

8. I miss the reading pane coming up automatically

I like having the reading pane available without having to choose a message first. Also, when I went into the settings to enable that option the save button wouldn't activate.

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there. Thank you all for the great feedback. There are a couple of things I wanted to address here.

Opening Up the first message automatically in the reading pane is a setting. To enable this do the following:

1) Click the Gear in the top right hand corner
    2) Scroll down and select View Full Settings
    3) Under Layout look for the section called “What do you want us to do when you sign in”
    4) Here you can select if we should open the first message, or wait to open the first message until you select.

Thanks for the feedback, and using Outlook.com.

Please let us know if there is anything else

Dave

9. connected account

Editing Connected Accounts is not available in Beta.

175 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for the feedback. This feature should now be deployed world wide. To setup/view your connected accounts please follow these steps.

1) Click on the Gear in the top right
    2) Click on View Settings at the bottom of the Quick Settings Pane
    3) Under the Mail Tab there is a Sync Email setting. This is the connected accounts area. You can add new ones, or see the ones you already added.

Thanks for using outlook.com!

10. On email open, please update unread number without navigation away

Currently if we have unread email(s), unread email number updates when we open one email and then navigate away.
    Can this be changed to: on open of unread email, update unread number?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 66 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all of the feedback. We have been listening to all of it, and trying to quickly bring features that you miss back to the Beta. One of those areas is Junk Email Settings/Safe Senders.

I am happy to say that you should all be able to manage these settings now.

1) From within the Beta, click the Gear at the top right.
    2) Select View Full Settings
    3) Under the Mail Section, Select Junk Mail.
    From here, you will see the settings and UI that you are familiar with.

Hope this helps, and keep the great feedback coming!

Dave

12. Provide a Document Hub

You provide a Photo Hub, it's very useful. Can you provide a Document Hub to have a look on all documents we received.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you VERY much for using Outlook.com and for providing such great feedback.

I am happy to let you know that we have started rolling out the Files Hub experience. If you have tried the photos experience previously, we have added on to include both images and files.

You should start seeing it soon!

We look forward to your feedback.

Thanks

David Los

13. It is not working - all folders were blank.

t is not working - all folders were blank. email reappeard when switched back to Normal.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for reporting this issue, as well as trying the new outlook.com experience. We haven’t had any recent reports of this issue, and we have been unable to reproduce it.

So I am going to mark this as complete for now. If you are still having issues, please come back and report it in the in app feedback.

thanks!

14. editable original email

Curent version: I can generate a reply and insert (edit) comments in the original (incoming) email. This is especially useful if the email has several back & forth iterations, so both parties can see the logical development of points. Beta version: Selecting 'reply' places response below original email and apparently blocks editing the original.
    Please, allow the original to be editable on a reply!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for giving us feedback on the Outlook.com beta! I’m glad to say that you’re able to do this today. Simply expand the reply from an inline reply mode to the full reply mode to be able to edit the past messages.

15. I couldn't paste an image.

I couldn't paste an image. (print screen)

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – First off thanks again for using the Beta of Outlook.com. Over the last few months we have done a lot of work on ensuring images are able to be easily and reliably pasted into your messages.

All of these image paste issues should be resolved. Please keep the feedback coming!

David Los

16. Missing Report phishing spam in non-junk folders

the capability to report phishing is not present on the inbox but the reality is there is still mail missed by the junk filters. there is a capability to mark as spam but this is not the same thing.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

46 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback on the Outlook.com beta! Marking as spam will also cause the message to be evaluated for phishing. We combined the options in the inbox because our security UX needs to work well for less informed users and we had feedback they didn’t know which choice to make.

17. I liked the old hotmail from the late nineties better.

Hotmail keeps getting more non-user friendly with each update. There's no need for Focused and Other folders. The constant pop-ups to announce new mail is annoying. I've also had mail to inadvertently disappear into the Deleted folder while I'm trying to read it. I used to get emails to announce appointments from the Calendar. Now I just get a temporary pop-up that I often miss. Also, I cannot delete old contacts that I no longer wish to have. Please let me have the version from the late nineties when Hotmail was use-friendly.

560 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off…

18. Expand the 'move to' list of folders, and also add New Folder

Users need to have the ability to move emails to any folders, not just the few shown when you click on 'move to'. The current version of Outlook allows you to expand the folder list so users can find the folder they want to move emails to, but the beta version got rid of that function.

4,206 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

282 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update November 2017:

We recently updated the Move to dropdown (in the command bar) and the Move to context menu item to prioritize your most-recently used folders. We believe this is an improvement that you will prefer over the fixed alphabetized list.

To create a new folder, simply use the New folder item in the folder pane.

Please enjoy the rest of Outlook.com!

19. There's mail i like to delete even before opened. In the new version, it's not possible.

There's mail i like to delete even before opened. In the new version, it's not possible.

78 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for the great feedback, and for using outlook.com. A lot has changed since this feedback has been submitted. So I just wanted to circle back and give you an update.

In the new outlook.com experience, we now have the ability to disable the reading pane. You can do this from the quick settings (click the gear in the top right).

As well as if you hoover over the email message, you will see that a trash icon shows up. Click that will delete the message without opening it.

Hope these tips help! Keep the feedback coming!

20. Changing subject

I was unable to change the subject line when replying to an email. I'd like to be able to change that as the conversation changes.

203 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

46 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for giving feedback on the Outlook.com beta! We understand that the inline reply feature is somewhat new and you’re not seeing some text fields that you’re used to seeing.

To edit the subject, simply expand the inline reply mode into the full reply mode. There is a button near the top-right corner of the reply box that can do this (it is an icon that makes you think “Expand”). That will make the subject field show up for you to edit.

We will further consider whether and how to make it possible to edit the subject in the inline reply mode.

Thank you!

• Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base