OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. only 9 messages

Can only see some 9 messages, as to 19 or so with the old version. More is better!!!!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for providing feedback, and for using outlook.com.

I just wanted to let you know that we have introduced a variety of options to our new experience that will get a configuration that looks very similar to the old one

To do this, do the following

1) From the Beta or new experience click on the Gear in the top right
    2) In the pane that opens up, you will likely want to disable the Conversation View, Attachments Preview, and Focused Inbox.

Hope this helps!

2. My focused and other are gone from the original web mail? Is this to get us on the beta????

My focused and other are gone from the original web mail? Is this to get us on the beta???? I am doing something wrong or are you trying to get us to move to the "beta"???

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. pinned items up top

Currently all my pinned items appear first. This does not seem to happen in the new outlook.com email beta

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for using Outlook.com and for taking the time to provide feedback!

I just wanted to take a minute and respond and let you know that pinned items do in fact work in the new Outlook.com experience.

When pinning an item you will see it at the top of the view.

Hope this helps, if you have any other feedback, please feel free to keep it coming!

Thanks

David Los

4. Reconfiguring the attachment preview

I love that the message list allows me to preview attachments, and open them directly without first opening up the bodies of the emails they are attached to. However, I don't love the way the attachment previews break up the flow of the message list - if I have several messages close together that have attached photos, the message list becomes hard to read because it is interspersed with photos. I am not sure what an ideal solution would be, but I wonder if previews could be thumbnails on the same line as the subject line or something? Though if…

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  thconsta responded

Thanks for your feedback! We’re happy to say we have a setting for you to turn off inline attachment previews in the message list.

Click on the settings wheel and then click on “View full settings”.
    Navigate to “Mail” → “Layout” and scroll to “Inline previews” at the bottom of the screen. Change the setting from “Show attachments in message list” to “Don’t show attachments in message list”.

5. Provide a way to import email

still looking for a method to copy email files to a thumb drive, any suggestions?

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for using Outlook.com and for taking the time to provide feedback!

I just wanted to let you know that we have actually introduced a feature that will allow you to export your entire mailbox.

It will export the entire mailbox to a .pst file. You can then download it and save it to a thumbdrive or where ever you would like.

To do this go into settings and select Privacy and Data under the General tab.

Hope that helps!

David Los

6. Do not auto open the next email when I mark an email is junk

If you have marked a mail as a junk mail, the next mail will be opened automatically. That disturbs. I would like to move them unopened as junk mail.

1,094 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off thank you for taking the time to provide all of this valuable feedback! I just wanted to update you on progress for some work.

We are happy to say that we have changed the way junk mail deletes work. Instead of opening the message automatically we return to the message list. This directly addresses the feedback that we have heard from all of you.

Hope this helps!

David Los

7. sign out / log out

The name icon in the upper right hand screen just lights up when clicked, the options do not pull down, so I could not sign out. The threading of the email is weird, but I'm sure there's more intelligent and useful comments out there for that one.

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

125 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. forward to another email account is missing

I can't see where to forward my emails automatically to my external email address. It stops working.

203 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

69 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all of the feedback, and for trying out the Beta. We have been hard at work addressing all of your feedback.

I am happy to say that forwarding has been added to the Options. Please do the following to configure your forwarding address

1) Login to The Beta
    2) Click on the Gear in the upper right
    3) Scroll down to Full Settings View
    4) Select Forwarding.

Hope this helps and thanks for all of the great feedback!

David Los

9. Missing recover deleted items in beta

I would like it you put the feature back for recover deleted items. I now have to switch out of Beta twice to undelete a message that I deleted by accident

476 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

61 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for using the Outlook.com beta! We are happy to announce that the “Recover deleted items” feature has now been added.

To access it, please switch to your “Deleted items” folder, and then click “Recover items deleted from this folder” below the Deleted items folder header.

10. Takes forever to load "because of a long-running script"

Over and over, I can't get it to load at all -- freezes the screen and says it's because of a long-running script. This can go on for many times over 20 minutes. And then the next time I open it, it starts all over again.

167 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – First off thanks for using outlook.com, and sorry you have been hitting these long running script issues. Over the last few months we have been working to address all of the performance issues, and fix these bugs.

If you try the new experience again, I think it will be much improved for you. As always, please report back and give any feedback!

Thanks!

11. Missing sender email address on hover and in reading pane

In the current outlook.com I am able to see the email address of the sender immediately. This is useful in the junk folder so I can see if the email could be legitimate.

This was not possible in the beta without looking at the source which is time consuming.

4,558 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

193 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update 11/1:

Now, when you see a single sender in the message list, you can hover over the sender name to see the full email address. Also, when in the reading pane, senders that are not in your safe sender’s list or contacts list will have their full email addresses shown as well.

Thanks for using the Outlook.com beta!

12. Ability to change default font and size

I want the ability to change the default font in the beta, and also change the font size.

640 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

118 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback and support.

For people who want to change the default font face and font size when they write email, the Setting has been available under Mail > Compose and reply > Message format (the direct link there is https://outlook.live.com/mail/options/mail/messageContent)

For people who want to make their regular Outlook.com page use a larger text size, we’d like to encourage the use of their browser’s built-in Zoom functions. Since received content is primarily formatted by the sender, using the browser’s Zoom is the best way to preserve the fidelity of all received content.

Once again, thank you for reaching out.

13. Unable to write mails to .group SMTP domain extension

I tried to write an e-mail Example@xxxx.group (which is a pretty exotic domain name) and when clicking on the Send button I got a message that the Address is not found. After switching back from BETA I was able to send the mail

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Empty inbox after delet all in junk folder

Deleting all junk mail, clicking on any folder shows empty lists.

I found a bug, I was able to reproduce it many times now.
    When I click on junk mail section (left pane), a see a list of XX emails, I right click and select "Delete all", I see the list of junk mail is empty and right after I click on "Inbox" (left pane again) and all the emails are "gone", clicking on any other folder shows no emails empty lists. I have to refresh the page (F5) in order to see again all the emails.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. search folder path

When you return results of a search and show which folder the email is in, show the full path to that folder. Full path information is very helpful if email is store in a folder which is 2+ level deep. Just stating the name of the folder can be tricky to locate the folder that the email is in

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Can I turn off 'common expression' highlighting?

When ever I type "welcome" (i.e., "he was not welcome in New York City" or "thank you", the webapp highlights it as though I have to do something or have selected something obscure. Whatever it is selling, I am not interested; it is distracting and useless. Please provide a way to turn it off. Thanks.

77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

332 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off thank you for using outlook.com and for providing feedback! We totally understand that some users will love features that others don’t.

We for sure don’t want to force you to use this if you would prefer it to be disabled. In fact, you can disable it right now by following these instructions

1) Click on the Gear in the top right
    2) Scroll to the bottom of the Quick Settings Pane and Select Full Settings
    3) Under the Mail settings Select Compose and Reply
    4) Here you will find Joyful animations. You can disable it and save it from there.

Hope this helps!

David Los

17. Bug: sending email

New mail or reply -> write your message -> click on the send button and then it's loading indefinitely indicating that sending is in progress.
    On page reload, I can see that the message has been sent with success.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Screen flicker in Firefox

Wouldn't work correctly in Firefox 52.3.0 32 bit. Screen kept flickering, but works great in Chrome.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – I just wanted to reach out and see if anyone is still having problems with the screen flickering on Firefox. I have been spending sometime using firefox over the last few days and have not been able to reproduce this issue.

Please open up a new feedback topic if you are seeing this still.

Thanks!

David Los

19. beta

I love Outlook.com but am disappointed in the handling of this beta as I was in the previous beta. Beta Test: "In software development, a beta test is the second phase of software testing in which a sampling of the intended audience tries the product out." (from Bing definitions). Yet, as I use Outlook.com beta and come here to provide feedback/vote on other feedback, I'm finding comments such as, "This functionality will be coming back to the beta in a future update."

Regular beta testers do not expect a regression from the current product when testing. Rather, they are presented…

140 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thanks for all of the great feedback on the new experience as we as how we ran the Beta. As you may know we have been reacting to the feedback and using it to prioritize the work that the team does.

One of the areas that we did for sure hear was you want more clarity on what changes we are making going forward. As we land the final changes, we are also introducing the Whats New Pane. This pane will be used to announce features and changes to the outlook.com experience.

Thanks again for all of the great feedback!

20. When in "Add a Message" pane, my email that i reply from becomes an undeliverable address.

My email, when I reply, automatically changes to an "outlook_mumbo-jumbo-of-numbers" email that is undeliverable when the sender replies again and that is not my own.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – First off, thank you for reporting this issue! And more importantly, using outlook.com.

We haven’t been able to reproduce this issue, and haven’t had any new reports of it over the last few months. So I am going to close this topic on out for now. If you are still experiencing this please let us know. Feel free to open up a new in app feedback for it.

• Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base