OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Where is the block button in junk mail?

Where is the block button in junk mail? I used to be able to instantly block an address, now I have to open the email, cut and paste the address, and go to settings to block?! I thought updates were supposed to make things easier, not add more work.

410 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

156 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for using Outlook.com!

To block a user from the junk email folder, either:
    - Select one or more emails and click the “Not Junk” dropdown in the top menu bar → “Block”
    - Right-click on an email and select “Block”.

Note: In non-junk folders, the option to block a user is under the “Junk” dropdown in the top menu bar

2. Can't attach files - STILL!

Outlook.com has become a failure. It would seem that 90% of the time I'm unable to send an email with an attachment as I get to notifications to say either "The following files couldn't be attached" or "this message can't be saved at the moment". If this is a lame attempt to have me use the cloud or go 'pro' it has failed. I will now go to Gmail. MS - you're becoming a legacy and not current and vital!!

351 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  98 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Block unwanted mail

PLEASE add BLOCK to the Delete Box. That should be so easy for you to do.
    Thank you.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. When scrolling through mail it is auto jumping back to top of the page

When scrolling down through emails it keeps randomly returning to the top of the list. When scrolling through older emails and having to wait for them to load into the list it is frustrating to have to go back down and wait each time for them to load.

832 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

347 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve identified one of the issues with Firefox which will be fixed when Firefox updates to version 57.

One of our users has also posted a solution for Firefox that seems to work that you can try in the interim:
    1) Type “about:config” in the address bar.
    2) Click the “I accept the risk” button.
    3) Type “accessibility.blockautorefresh” in the search box (though, you might not have to do this – for me it is the third item from the very top in config).
    4) Double-click on the first item that appears to modify the value to “true”.
    5) Restart Firefox.

We are also working on improving reliability and performance while scrolling that will help alleviate this issue on other browsers like Chrome, Edge, and IE. Those changes should be available soon and we will update this thread once those have been released.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

5. Scroll Bar Disappearing

How the **** can you subject your users to a product as bad as this?

The scrol bar keeps disappearing. The list of emails keeps updating.

Are you mad?

449 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

111 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. I simply do not like it. I do not understand why you people continue to ***** up an email service that did not need to be changed.

I simply do not like it. I do not understand why you people continue to ***** up an email service that did not need to be changed. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the original Hotmail.

638 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

241 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you all for using outlook.com and for providing such great feedback. I wanted to address the feedback that you have left about not being able to do some of the advanced search that you had in the older outlook.com experience.

We actually do have advanced search. When you click in the Search box at the top of the screen, it will expand and there is a “filter” icon. If you click that icon you should be able to do date search, attachments, etc.

Hope this helps

David Los

7. "Get started" new box under emails

I have this new "get started" section at the foot of my inbox and I cant delete it even though all the boxes are ticked. What is happening?

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Rule Move all messages in the Inbox folder and all future messages "when creating a rule.

Hello, Devs

Please return the option to Move all messages in the Inbox folder and all future messages when creating a rule, it is of extreme importance this feature, THAT EXISTS THE YEARS in the classic version and was withdrawn in the new one.

Why did they do that? They have taken a role that is important in day-to-day life.

642 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback.

To create the sweep rule to move all messages from a user in the Inbox folder and all future messages:
    1) Select the email or emails with the senders you which to move
    2) Click the “Sweep” Button or click “Move-to → Move all emails from”
    3) Select the option “Move all messages from the Inbox folder and any future messages”
    4) Choose the folder you wish to move these messages to
    5) Click “Ok”

9. 662 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

381 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

10. Love Dark Mode

Its fantastic to use dark mode for outlook mail and I hope that you will provide dark mode to other services such as One drive, One note and tasks etc

382 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

106 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Conversation view settings: disable conversation view or enable item view

I like the look of the new beta, however I wish there was an option to turn off conversation view (i.e. all replies stacked in a single thread). Depending on how you use email, it can be really helpful to have all emails listed individually.

9,823 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1154 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

December 2017: Thanks for your patience and continued use of the Outlook.com beta! We roll out new improvements every week, and are elated to announce that a recent update opened up this feature to you! You now can turn off Conversation View and show each item in your message list as its own entry. To do so, use the Settings (gear-shaped button) menu.

We will continue to make other improvements to the Outlook.com beta experience; thanks for your support!

12. Inbox Rules need to allow for all kinds of triggers and actions

Example: Mail rules currently cannot forward mail.

I need to be able to do more than move to a folder.

3,731 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

304 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that we’ve released an update for inbox rules that allow for all sorts of combinations in settings.

To create an advanced rule, either:
    1) Right-click on an email
    2) Click “Create rule”
    3) Click “More options”
    4) Create away!

OR

1) Click the settings gear icon in the top right
    2) Click “View full settings”
    3) Click “Rules”
    4) Click “Add new rule”
    5) Create away!

13. Problem with Subscriptions.

I unsubscribed individually from dozens of subscriptions in my subscriptions list that I never subscribed to. It took me more than 30 minutes because of the lack of a bulk select button.

I still cannot unsubscribe from VictoriaHearts 1xwww.gdn or several other craps in my subscriptions list.

Please stop adding **** to my subscriptions list without my prior approvasl. I did not subscribe to that ****.

Please let me bulk edit my subscriptions list and select which to block after unsubscribing.

I also could not select by page the dozens of bounceback emails that I received upon unsubscribing.

77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

67 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey all! I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing these problems. Outlook does not subscribe you to any subscription emails, so these emails are from other senders who have your email address.

We do allow you to bulk-select your messages.. above all your emails at the top, there is a gray circle with a check inside it. Click this circle and it will turn blue, and you will select all emails in the folder that you are currently in. See the attached photo for more details.

You should be able to unsubscribe to these individually by clicking a link on each unwanted email. Alternatively, you can block the sender in settings by going to Mail > Junk email > Block Senders. https://outlook-sdf.office.com/mail/options/mail/junkEmail

We’ll also be releasing a feature soon which will let you manage all of your subscriptions from inside your Outlook.com account… Stay on the lookout!

Colin

14. 145 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

89 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Focused and Other - Get Rid Of!

I want one inbox - I didn't ask for two. The other and focused options are so screwed up and annoying; I cannot even imagine why this was done. Most of the time I am getting focused emails in my other and other emails in my focused. How do your algorithms even sort or decide which is which? And why are you deciding? It is my inbox!

1,856 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

325 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off – I want to thank each and every one of your for trying the Outlook.com beta. Also for spending the time to offer and vote on all of the feedback.

I wanted to make sure that we let you all know that we did add some more controls around the Focused/Other inboxes. This includes allowing you to decide if you want it on or off.

We also fixed some bugs to make sure that it keeps your desired setting after you login/log out

To Control Focused Other Do the following:

1) Login to your account and make sure you are in the Beta
    2) In the top right hand corner there is a little Gear Icon, click on it.
    3) This opens the quick settings pane. From here you can disable Focused/Other, as well as other features like Conversation View, and the reading Pane.

Also, as you click…

16. Previewing attachments

New way of previewing attachments doesn't display them properly, half the page is off the screen.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Calendar events only display as dots on the date of the event; there is no event description

Events on the calendar do not appear as text, only as several dots.

114 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Ads take up too much space

I also have an Office 365 Home subscription... can that remove ads for me?

6,332 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

828 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update January 2018:

We have confirmed that all users whose email addresses have an Office 365 subscription attached to it are getting the ad-free Outlook.com experience. We encourage anyone who would like the ad-free Outlook.com experience to sign up for an Office 365 subscription, which comes with a plethora of additional perks and benefits.

In addition to this, users who would like to have a larger reading surface may find the Reading Pane Off/Hidden mode more preferable. This setting may be found in the Quick Settings panel, under Reading Pane > Hide.

19. Why don't allow us to log out?! Please direct us on how to log out.

Why don't allow us to log out?! Please direct us on how to log out.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! In order to log out, click on the profile icon in the top right corner of the window. This is a round icon with either your profile image or your initials.

When you click this icon, a pane will expand. “Sign out” is one of the options on this pane.

Colin

20. Bulk delete of subscriptions

unsubscribing from subscriptions. It would be good to have the ability to unsubscribe from multiple subscriptions, especially when they were added through a junk email. Also, removing any subscription automatically that is linked to a junk email would be great.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey, thanks for your feedback!

You can already do this! Open the settings page by clicking on the gear in the header. Then search “subscriptions” in the settings pane search bar. Then click on “Subscriptions”, and it will show you a list of all the senders who you have a subscription to. (Please note: Microsoft does NOT sign you up for any of these subscriptions. We are just showing you which subscriptions you’ve been added to already, usually because you gave your email to a site online).

You can then unsubscribe from any of those emails using the subscriptions manager!

• Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base