OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. My attachments have disappeared. These are work related & I need them back please!

My attachments have disappeared. These are work related & I need them back please!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

2. Compose and Replies should be on a dark background in Dark Mode

When composing an email, either reply or new, the background is white.
    This should not occur when on "Dark Mode".

Additionally, when highlighting text when in Dark Mode, the background that would usually display when highlighting is transparent making it difficult to tell if the correct text is fully highlighted.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – Thanks again for the feedback and feature suggestions! I just wanted to let you know that over the next two weeks you will start seeing dark compose. This means that when you are writing an email, you will be able to not have the white new email screen.

Thanks again!

David Los

3. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

4. Not liking it

Don't like the new user interface, feel disorientating, the graphics disturb me from finding my emails.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

-The Outlook.com Team

5. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

-The Outlook.com Team

6. Infinite scroll makes it impossible to get to old emails

Previous iterations of outlook.com have used pagination or viewport scrolling to allow me to accurately jump to any point in the middle of my inbox. The new layout, however, uses infinite scrolling, meaning that if I want to view a message more than a few days old, I have to scroll to the bottom, wait for a few messages to load, scroll to the bottom, wait for more messages to load, ad infinitum.

In fact, I can't any way in the new inbox of jumping to a historical email. If I can remember that I received an email at the…

4,023 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

260 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! We recommend that you use Search to find older emails.

If you click in the search bar, on the right (next to the search icon) you will see a dropdown menu that says “All folders”.

Click on this menu, and then select the date range that you want to search in. Once you’ve applied this date range, you can search within just those dates to see your emails.

Colin

7. New user interface for email - DREADFUL

So I have logged into my email account to find it in a horrendous layout and new font style with a high number of distractions and not to mention ads that pop up between the mail I have received. NOTHING was wrong with the old layout, while features such as focused inbox were still available. If this mess is not sorted out and reverted I will switch my primary personal email address to another service provider! Whoever thought of this needs to seriously reconsider their choices.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

-The Outlook.com Team

8. Why fix something that wasn't broken

Can't stand the new email system.
    I didn't make the move to gmail like my friends and family as I much preferred the system of old hotmail. Now they've changed it to something similar to gmail. I feel like its a copy of their system and if people wanted it they would have made the change already.

Please allow us to choose to change back.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

-The Outlook.com Team

9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

-The Outlook.com Team

10. It sucks donkey dicks

Slow, couldn't open mail, couldn;'t sent mail couldn't delete mail, it sucked raised to the infintie power. If M$ adopts this I am out of here.
    Everytime you ******* fools improve it you make it worse.
    Give up while you are behind.
    ESAD FOAD
    and it SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

-The Outlook.com Team

11. So, It Was Pretty Good Almost The Same But. I Liked It!

So I Had 3 Months Using It Harder To See My Inbox And I Really Had Trouble Using It

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

-The Outlook.com Team

12. really appreciate your replies and comments. If I were the marketing department of Microsoft there are a few things to improve the product

I really appreciate your replies and comments.
    If I were the marketing department of Microsoft there are a few things to improve the product and not just upgrade.
    Don’t mind me, just an old advertising and marketing guy thinking that any hotmail account holders are over the age of 30 and might need some up to date email tips and features to converse with relatives, friends and of course online sales people. Making the older product work in 2018 environment would be so nice. Not a fan of Gmail if I can avoid it.
    Tell Bill Gates hello and there…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

-The Outlook.com Team

13. Outlook Beta - undesirable

Really unimpressed with the new 'Outlook Beta'. It leaves a lot to be desired. Internet speed is more than sufficient yet it takes an age to load anything and switch between the focused/other inboxes.

The Ad panel on the right is irritating as the inbox screen is too large so display is very awkward and squished; weirdly feels claustrophobic - how does that happen?!

Personally not impressed with this move and would suggest you stop before it goes further. The layout is undesirable, you can't change the view to be more user friendly and suit your own needs. It's not…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

-The Outlook.com Team

14. 101 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! You can make more emails appear on the same page in your message list by configuring the density settings of each message.

Click on the settings gear, and open the quick settings pane. Then, set Display Density to Compact. Then, click on “View full settings” and search for “Message Preview Text”. Set “Message Preview Text” to “Hide message previews”.

This should give you a much denser view of your emails!

Colin

15. It's a mess.

It's a mess. Someone went wild with the crayons. I'm an adult; I want my emails to be displayed in clean, clear and succinct manner. It's Email, not the next great novel. Stop trying to fix what isn't broken. The old hotmail was clean, and now I'm dealing with Focus and Other - sheer idiocy, so don't make worse than it is!

217 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking time out of your day to try the new Outlook.com experience as well as providing feedback!

Since you have left this feedback, we have introduced a lot of additional settings that will allow you to configure the experience to be closer to the classic Hotmail/Outlook.com experience.

To get started click on the Gear in the top right.

From there you might want to Disable Conversation View, Reading Pane, Sender Photos, Attachment Previews, Group messages by date, and Focused Inbox.

Once you have those off it should look much more like the older experience.

Hope this helps, and please keep the feedback coming!

David Los

16. Shrinking emails!!

the ads cause the email to shrink and makes it very hard to see the email. could you please remove the ads on the right side. Thanks

272 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about the new Outlook.com experience! We truly value it and appreciate you picking us for your email!

I did want to take a few seconds and let you all know that there is an option to get an ad free experience of Outlook.com. If you have an Office 365 subscription, one of the benefits is an ad free experience on Outlook.com.

You can get an Office 365 subscription by clicking on the Get Premium button in the left hand column.

For those that don’t want to get a subscription there are two other options that might feel better. First you can turn off the Reading pane. This will give more space when you open up a message.

Secondly, you are able to double click on a message and open it in a pop-out window.

Hope this helps!

David Los

17. Please allow social media icons pasted into email signatures to be hyperlinked to the user's corresponding social media accounts

Please allow social media icons pasted into email signatures to be hyperlinked to the user's corresponding social media accounts.

It is almost mandatory now and looks unprofessional having straggly complicated links clogging up signatures, as opposed to simple icons. It is easily possible on Gmail, and just about every other email client - please consider!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Don't automatically cluster emails from certain days together.

If people want to sort emails or see when they were sent, there are still dates displayed. Adding divisions into meaningless groups just clutters up the look of the inbox.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

First off, thank you for using Outlook.com and for taking the time to provide feedback!

I just wanted to take a minute and let you know that we have added a setting to disable/enable the Date settings.

To turn it off do the following steps:

1) Click on the Gear in the top right
    2) Turn off the toggle for Group messages by Date

Thanks! And keep the feedback coming!

David Los

19. 664 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

383 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

-The Outlook.com Team

20. Bring Back Phishing Button for Junk Mail folder.

Bring back "Phishing" Button to report Junk / Phishing emails.

Using the button massively reduced the junk I received, and I do not want to return to having to trawl through many junk emails to find the legitimate ones.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can report items as phishing via the following method:
    1. Mark an item as junk (if it not done so already)
    2. In the Junk email folder, select the item and click the “Not junk” drop-down located in the top options above the message list
    3. Select “Phishing”

Note: We have heard feedback that some users wish to mark items as phishing from any folder (not just Junk email) and are currently working to bring this capability to the Outlook beta.

• Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base