OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Conversations

Quit trying to be Gmail!!! There is a REASON we use Outlook and not Gmail. The conversations feature is an absolute beat down - especially with a fairly lengthy group conversation. I mean, I'd rather have my toenails ripped out than try to find my last comment in a thread like that. At the very least, let us disable this mostly copy-cat feature. Innovate, for once. Come up with something new and unique. If it's going to turn into Gmail, let us know. I'd rather just move to Gmail since they clearly do "their" thing better than you will. But…

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks for using Outlook.com. I just wanted to let you know that you are able to disable conversation view from the beta.

Here are the steps

1) From within the Beta, Click the gear at the top right.
    2) This will open a Panel on the right and you should see Conversation View settings. There are three. The first is Newest on Top, Newest on Bottom, and finally Off.

If you select Off you will not have to interact with conversations again :)

Hope this helps, and thanks for the great feedback!

David Los

2. print

It is not possible to print an email. I got 4 white pages out of the printer when I tried to print my Uber invoice. Please take a look at this feature!

243 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  61 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please update beta version have enhanced security via two step login security to my cell phone or using Microsoft authentication app.

Improve online login Outlook email security via two step verification codes to cell phone or using Microsoft authentication app. Prefer two step verification because it saves the need for the app.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for providing feedback and for using Outlook.com.

I did want to let you know that you are able to enable Two Step Verification for all of our Microsoft Account. This will protect all of the different Apps and services that are using your Microsoft Account.

You can find more details here – https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12408/microsoft-account-about-two-step-verification

Thanks

David Los

4. Automatic Reply feature

I can't find the option "Automatic Reply" in the beta version. Where is it? This is an important feature that's available in the current version under "Options."

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for using Outlook.com and for taking the time to provide feedback!

I wanted to again thank you for trying out the new Outlook.com experience. I also wanted to let you know that we have added the Automatic Reply feature to the new experience. It can be found under settings. Just click the Gear in the top right hand corner.

Hope this helps!

David Los

5. Hate that the next email pops up automatically, loved the old version that lets me choose what to open.

Hate that the next email pops up automatically, loved the old version that lets me choose what to open.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello – First off thank you for the feedback and for using the new Outlook.com experience.

I just wanted to let you know that we do indeed have the option to not open items up automatically after you deleted/closed one.

To do this, select the Gear at the top right, scroll down to the bottom and select view Outlook Settings.

From there, under the Reading Pane section you can see message open options.

Hope this helps

David Los

6. I don't often open emails

Most of my emails in my focused inbox give plenty of info in the subject line, and I rarely need to open the emails. This is probably abnormal, but less space to see emails is a bit inconvenient on desktop. Still loving the separated, easily -navigated focused and other folders.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, and thanks for using outlook.com and for providing such wonderful feedback. I just wanted to send you a couple of quick steps on how you might be able to configure your Outlook.com to better address not wanting to open emails automatically.

If you click on the Gear in the Top right, it will load a quick settings panel. From here you can disable the reading pane. (set it to off).

At this point then you will not automatically open items. And when you do want to open one you just click on it. It will give you more space to view them as well.

Hope this helps

David Los

7. Hate it, I used to love the simple hotmail.com

the original hotmail.com had won my heart as many others would agree. Just give me back the hotmail.com layout, everything was so simple and easy to navigate. i have to think too much to operate with outlook., I dislike outlook and I absolutely despise the beta.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

First off, thank you for taking time out of your day to try the new Outlook.com experience as well as providing feedback!

Since you have left this feedback, we have introduced a lot of additional settings that will allow you to configure the experience to be closer to the classic Hotmail/Outlook.com experience.

To get started click on the Gear in the top right.

From there you might want to Disable Conversation View, Reading Pane, Sender Photos, Attachment Previews, Group messages by date, and Focused Inbox.

Once you have those off it should look much more like the older experience.

Hope this helps, and please keep the feedback coming!

David Los

8. copy

I couldn't highlight text to copy and paste

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you all for trying the Outlook.com Beta! I just wanted to let you all know that there was indeed a bug which prevented copy/paste in a few cases. These fixes have since been deployed, and you should no longer be experiencing these problems.

Thanks for all of the reports, and please keep the feedback coming!

David Los

9. beta

I love Outlook.com but am disappointed in the handling of this beta as I was in the previous beta. Beta Test: "In software development, a beta test is the second phase of software testing in which a sampling of the intended audience tries the product out." (from Bing definitions). Yet, as I use Outlook.com beta and come here to provide feedback/vote on other feedback, I'm finding comments such as, "This functionality will be coming back to the beta in a future update."

Regular beta testers do not expect a regression from the current product when testing. Rather, they are presented…

140 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thanks for all of the great feedback on the new experience as we as how we ran the Beta. As you may know we have been reacting to the feedback and using it to prioritize the work that the team does.

One of the areas that we did for sure hear was you want more clarity on what changes we are making going forward. As we land the final changes, we are also introducing the Whats New Pane. This pane will be used to announce features and changes to the outlook.com experience.

Thanks again for all of the great feedback!

10. connected account

Editing Connected Accounts is not available in Beta.

175 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for the feedback. This feature should now be deployed world wide. To setup/view your connected accounts please follow these steps.

1) Click on the Gear in the top right
    2) Click on View Settings at the bottom of the Quick Settings Pane
    3) Under the Mail Tab there is a Sync Email setting. This is the connected accounts area. You can add new ones, or see the ones you already added.

Thanks for using outlook.com!

11. I liked the old hotmail from the late nineties better.

Hotmail keeps getting more non-user friendly with each update. There's no need for Focused and Other folders. The constant pop-ups to announce new mail is annoying. I've also had mail to inadvertently disappear into the Deleted folder while I'm trying to read it. I used to get emails to announce appointments from the Calendar. Now I just get a temporary pop-up that I often miss. Also, I cannot delete old contacts that I no longer wish to have. Please let me have the version from the late nineties when Hotmail was use-friendly.

560 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off…

12. Switch Mail/Calendar/People/Photos/Tasks buttons back to horizontal instead of vertical

While I believe this layout is an improvement overall, I think having the Mail/Calendar/People/Photos/Tasks buttons going vertical in the lower left corner should be changed back to horizontal and at the bottom of the folder pane. Having one section just for these adds wasteful white space on the left that takes away from listing folder trees, and it is not consistent with the experience across Calendar and People, as they switch back to horizontal when switching apps. This also doesn't match behavior in Outlook desktop client that most end-users are trained for. Please switch that view back, or at least…

86 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 399 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

146 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback on the Outlook.com beta! We really appreciate this usability feedback. The reply/reply-all/forward options are there under a menu in the upper right corner of an email, but we understand they are not discoverable enough for you and we are considering several solutions. We will reply when we have an update.

Update August 17: We are working on making the individual buttons readily available.

Update August 18: We have fixed this. Please don’t stop giving us your feedback on the Outlook.com beta!

14. Where did my Add-Ins go?

Switched to the beta and my add-ins were gone. Didn't like that, so I switched back.

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – First off thanks for using Outlook.com and for providing all of this wonderful feedback.

I just wanted to let everyone know that the new Outlook.com Client experience does indeed have Add-ins back.

Hope this helps out! Please keep the feedback coming. We truly do read it all and prioritize our work based on it!

David Los

15. Thank goodness there is an off button, How long will it remain available?

Thank goodness there is an off button, How long will it remain available?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback on the Outlook.com beta! We will be updating the beta to improve based on feedback regularly. When we bring the features to the regular Outlook.com, we will only bring the best and most popular ones.

16. Stop greying out the rest of the website until I click "not now" every time I log in or refresh the site.

I understand that this is necessary the first time to draw user's attention to the existence of the beta. Each subsequent time though it's just distracting as it takes a few seconds to realise why me e-mail "isn't working". Could it not be set to only do this once or twice per account?

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! It appears you ran into some issues with our “Try the beta” callout. You’re right, it’s not designed to show up every time you log in or refresh the site.

We found a code bug that only appeared after we expanded the beta participation ring. The fix will be live soon.

Update August 18: This has been fixed. Sorry for the annoyance! You should not see it every time you log in — we know better than that. ;)

17. Switch between accounts

I have 2 Outlook.com accounts, 1 Office365 account, and 1 Gmail account I'd like to access through Outlook.com. Please allow me to switch easily between these accounts. I should be able to log in once, and link all of these together, and then switch between them easily. Currently I need to sign out and sign in to switch.

378 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

74 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. please do not make the mail experience like your internet browser experience

you just have to copy gmail to be better, you dont have to make outlook, live, hotmail worse than it already is, the other folder sends too many emails to that folder, it is very annoying, and that automatic window to see the emails while still seeing the list of emails on one side??? what the ****??? my computer gets frozen everytime because all those unnecessary things are too heavy and useless,

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. I never had intrusive audio ads before the beta. Ads are fine, AUDIO is not. Blasting commercials are a huge annoyance.

Don't allow audio without permission. Ever. For anything. NO sound effects either. No springing audio from emojis and such. None.

152 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off thanks again for using outlook.com and reporting your feedback on ads! As Lynn mentioned before, we do not allow ads with audio. We have been making sure that this does not happen going forward.

Please let us know if you have any other problems with ads going forward.

Thanks!

20. to much unicorne/girly colors

I prefer the designs more sober and functional as MS Office Outlook on 2010
    I don't use calandar nor photos nor else. I use mail function only cause Hotmail is only my mail box.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback on the Outlook.com beta! If you click the settings gear in the upper right, it will open theme customization which will let you pick a sober or professional theme. Let us know if there are other aspects of the experience you are finding too bright.

• Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base