OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

The new Outlook.com

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

2. Beta not good for me

The new version is not good because the many parameters and adjustable options of the old version have disappeared. I need to be able to set more than what is possible in the new version, as rules of messages, aliases, ....

306 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello – First off, I just wanted to thank everyone for responding and providing all of the valuable feedback. More importantly I also want to thank you for using Outlook.com.

I did want to update everyone and let them know that we have re-introduced all of the options that were in the old experience. This took a bit of time, as we wanted to make sure we were designing simplified experiences for everyone.

Please keep the great feedback coming!

David Los

3. I hate it.

I hate it. I hate having to look at 2 different inboxes. I hate that now I can't see the actual email that I'm trying to open because the screen is so crowded. Too cramped! Also, the way this feedback forum works is frustrating. Why make everything so overly complicated? It really reduces function.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

First off, I just would like to take a minute and thank you all for providing feedback about the new outlook.com experience.

There are a couple of items that I wanted to address. First, I know that there are some folks that do not like their mail separated into focused and other. This feature can easily be turned off by clicking the Gear in the top right hand corner.

Secondly, there are a variety of other features which can be turned off that will make the experience more like the classic outlook.com experience.

They can also all be found in the Quick Settings.

They would be the Conversation View, Reading Pane (set it to Off), Sender Image (the colorful circles), Group messages by date (this is the date headers in the message list, Attachment preview.

Disabling those and you should feel much more like the older experience.

Hope this helps

4. I don't like it AT ALL!

I hate having the email on one side only -I want it full page with nothing else on the screed- , I hate all those colours by the contacts -tiring, overload of info, distracting, most users won't be at pre-school age so we can do with black and blue alone!- I hate the location of the send/forward..., For a minute I was hopeful you had decided to go back to the previous version, please restore that one!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking time out of your day to try the new Outlook.com experience as well as providing feedback!

Since you have left this feedback, we have introduced a lot of additional settings that will allow you to configure the experience to be closer to the classic Hotmail/Outlook.com experience.

Specifically you might be interested in disabling the Sender Photos (the color circles next to names) and the Reading Pane.

To get started click on the Gear in the top right.

From there you might want to Disable Conversation View, Reading Pane, Sender Photos, Attachment Previews, Group messages by date, and Focused Inbox.

Once you have those off it should look much more like the older experience.

Hope this helps, and please keep the feedback coming!

David Los

5. Hate the page set up. Like the other way better.

Hate the page set up. Like the other way better

135 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re sorry to hear you’re not enjoying your current experience. You can change your layout view by:

1. Going to Settings (Gear icon in the top-right)
    2. Reading pane > Hide (it’s a radio button)

You can also further personalize many elements of your view by:

1. Going to Settings (Gear icon in the top-right)
    2. View full settings → Mail → Layout

6. 326 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello – First off thanks for using outlook.com, and thanks for providing the great feedback.

From your suggestions, I believe that you are wanting to get a view that is pretty much like the old experience. There are a variety of controls/options that have been introduced that will help you achieve something close.

To do this follow the following steps

1) When you are in the new outlook.com experience/Beta, click on the gear in the top right.
    2) This opens the Quick Settings Pane, I would recommend you toggle off the following to match the old experience.
    – Reading Pane - Set it it to OFF
    – Sender Image – Set it to OFF
    – Message Preview Text – Set it to OFF
    – Focused/Other – Set it to OFF

Hope this helps!

7. I want to see senders and subject lines only, not have email body in same window

I have always hated and don't use the desktop version of Outlook for this reason. I want sender, subject, and time only in web mail. Let me choose to open the body in another window.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that you can turn the Reading Pane off yourself by taking these steps:

1. Go to Settings (gear icon at top-right)
    2. Reading pane > Hide (it’s a radio button)

If this is the mode you prefer, go right ahead and personalize your Outlook.com that way!

8. Hate the layout!

Just too cluttered! I have the downloaded version of Hotmail that comes with MS OFFICE, I don't use it.... why? BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE THIS NEW ONLINE VERSION!

It ain't broke, please don't fix it till it is!

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi thanks for the feedback. Early on in the beta we introduced a lot of new features. However, over the last few months we have also added a bunch of quick settings to help customize the user experience. We think these options allow you to get truly the experience that all of the users might want.

This includes getting it setup just like the old outlook.com/Hotmail ui.

To do this click on the gear in the top right. Then try turning off the settings that you don’t like. Some of the newer experiences that you are seeing are called conversation view, sender photos, etc.

let me know if you have any more feedback!

thanks

Dave

9. The delete button is not working properly!

When I click in the delete button of a message, the message is deleted but the page doesn't refresh. I have to do this manually.

A few days ago it was working properly.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for using Outlook.com and for taking the time to provide feedback!

I am sorry for any bugs or problems you hit in the new Outlook.com experience.

We have been working hard to address these issues. I just tested and confirmed that I am not seeing this problem any more.

Can you give it another try and report back by opening up a new feedback thread or contacting support from within Outlook.com?

Thanks

David Los

10. Keep it simple.

Email isn't for emojis & bright colors. Keep it clean and simple. There's too much noise everywhere else in the world.

I use my personal email to communicate with friends and family. I don't need to be entertained and over stimulated by gimmicks. I just want to send a message and easily find the ones I've received.

596 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I want to thank each and everyone of you for using Outlook.com and for taking the time to provide feedback on the new experience.

I know that a few different topics got merged down into this suggestion, so I wanted to offer some broad guidance on how you might configure the new experience to get it to look more like what you want.

Lets start off with the feedback about not wanting the bright colored circles, emojis, and joyful animations. All of these can be disabled. Click on the gear in the top right hand corner, this will load the quick setting pane. From here first disable the Sender Photos. This removes the colored circles with initials.

Then continue to scroll down and select view all Options. In this options page select Compose and Reply. In this page look for Joyful animations. turning this off will eliminate the…

11. I don't like the half mail list and the half content style.

I don't like the half mail list and the half content style.

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. If you are not a fan of viewing both the mail list, and the reading pane at the same time, we have a setting for that!

From within the beta do the following:
    1) Click on the Gear in the top right.
    2) Under the Reading Pane section, select Hide.

This will get you back to the Message list only view. Hope that helps!

12. The layout is not even functional

The layout is not even functional. It's like i have parts of different programs and pages in the same window

102 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you very much for all of the great feedback. I just wanted to circle back and let you know that we introduced a ton of settings around configuring the layout of the new outlook.com experience.

You can disable a lot of the new options all from the quick settings. For example, you can disable the reading pane, conversation view, sender photos, etc.

Just log into your account, click the gear in the top right, and from the quick settings pane you can do a ton of easy simple config changes.

hope this helps!

13. Focus

I like the 'Outlook layout' but do not like the 'focus' function

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to take a minute and thank you all for taking time to provide all of this feedback and for using Outlook.com

I also want to apologize for any frustration that Focused Inbox has caused you.

I do want to let you know that you are able to disable this feature if you do not like it.

To do this, click on the Gear icon in the top right. This opens the quick settings. Disable the Focused Inbox.

Now your inbox will be back into a single one.

Hope this helps

David Los

14. Conversations

Quit trying to be Gmail!!! There is a REASON we use Outlook and not Gmail. The conversations feature is an absolute beat down - especially with a fairly lengthy group conversation. I mean, I'd rather have my toenails ripped out than try to find my last comment in a thread like that. At the very least, let us disable this mostly copy-cat feature. Innovate, for once. Come up with something new and unique. If it's going to turn into Gmail, let us know. I'd rather just move to Gmail since they clearly do "their" thing better than you will. But…

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks for using Outlook.com. I just wanted to let you know that you are able to disable conversation view from the beta.

Here are the steps

1) From within the Beta, Click the gear at the top right.
    2) This will open a Panel on the right and you should see Conversation View settings. There are three. The first is Newest on Top, Newest on Bottom, and finally Off.

If you select Off you will not have to interact with conversations again :)

Hope this helps, and thanks for the great feedback!

David Los

15. print

It is not possible to print an email. I got 4 white pages out of the printer when I tried to print my Uber invoice. Please take a look at this feature!

243 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  61 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Please update beta version have enhanced security via two step login security to my cell phone or using Microsoft authentication app.

Improve online login Outlook email security via two step verification codes to cell phone or using Microsoft authentication app. Prefer two step verification because it saves the need for the app.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for providing feedback and for using Outlook.com.

I did want to let you know that you are able to enable Two Step Verification for all of our Microsoft Account. This will protect all of the different Apps and services that are using your Microsoft Account.

You can find more details here – https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12408/microsoft-account-about-two-step-verification

Thanks

David Los

17. Automatic Reply feature

I can't find the option "Automatic Reply" in the beta version. Where is it? This is an important feature that's available in the current version under "Options."

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for using Outlook.com and for taking the time to provide feedback!

I wanted to again thank you for trying out the new Outlook.com experience. I also wanted to let you know that we have added the Automatic Reply feature to the new experience. It can be found under settings. Just click the Gear in the top right hand corner.

Hope this helps!

David Los

18. Hate that the next email pops up automatically, loved the old version that lets me choose what to open.

Hate that the next email pops up automatically, loved the old version that lets me choose what to open.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello – First off thank you for the feedback and for using the new Outlook.com experience.

I just wanted to let you know that we do indeed have the option to not open items up automatically after you deleted/closed one.

To do this, select the Gear at the top right, scroll down to the bottom and select view Outlook Settings.

From there, under the Reading Pane section you can see message open options.

Hope this helps

David Los

19. I don't often open emails

Most of my emails in my focused inbox give plenty of info in the subject line, and I rarely need to open the emails. This is probably abnormal, but less space to see emails is a bit inconvenient on desktop. Still loving the separated, easily -navigated focused and other folders.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, and thanks for using outlook.com and for providing such wonderful feedback. I just wanted to send you a couple of quick steps on how you might be able to configure your Outlook.com to better address not wanting to open emails automatically.

If you click on the Gear in the Top right, it will load a quick settings panel. From here you can disable the reading pane. (set it to off).

At this point then you will not automatically open items. And when you do want to open one you just click on it. It will give you more space to view them as well.

Hope this helps

David Los

20. Hate it, I used to love the simple hotmail.com

the original hotmail.com had won my heart as many others would agree. Just give me back the hotmail.com layout, everything was so simple and easy to navigate. i have to think too much to operate with outlook., I dislike outlook and I absolutely despise the beta.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

First off, thank you for taking time out of your day to try the new Outlook.com experience as well as providing feedback!

Since you have left this feedback, we have introduced a lot of additional settings that will allow you to configure the experience to be closer to the classic Hotmail/Outlook.com experience.

To get started click on the Gear in the top right.

From there you might want to Disable Conversation View, Reading Pane, Sender Photos, Attachment Previews, Group messages by date, and Focused Inbox.

Once you have those off it should look much more like the older experience.

Hope this helps, and please keep the feedback coming!

David Los

• Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base