OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Navigate back to search

Hi, it used to be that when a search was made, we could view one of the messages, and the navigate back to the search. Now navigating back brings us to Inbox, and I need to do the search again to view another item! This is really annoying. Also, undo send feature is gone.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

26 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Search Old / Older email

I am wondering where some of my older emails went to. I know I didn't delete them, but they don't show up is search. I'm guessing your software deletes emails that are older than a certain date. How do I recover these emails.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. No sound

Incoming mail sound is not functioning. Checked my settings and it was on, but just tested it and no sound.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Attachments cannot be downloded in Beta version.

I was not able to download attachments from my mails. So I switched to the older version and I was able to do so in a sec. I tried downloading to the computer and saving to the oneDrive etc. From the mail itself, the drop down to download, preview etc was not also working.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Unable to find contact for email 'send to' and is in my people contact list

New email address entry does not find a contact in my contact list. Definately in my 'People' contacts, but not able to find when sending an email.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Outlook beta is ghastly.

In an effort to learn more about searching my emails I visited the beta version - and I'm delighted that you're able to opt back out again, because that's exactly what I did.
    The new layout is simply horrible...end of story.
    Why have three sections - what's wrong with just having a nice listing of emails that you can easily scan down.
    There's no logic in that "select an item to read" section - why not access it straight from the basic list? It makes me feel claustrophobic somehow - kind of wedged into a small space.
    Sincerely hope that…

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Missing folder

There is a huge bug in Hotmail. In the non-beta version, a folder of mine has gone missing (it was NOT deleted!!). When I switch to the beta version, the folder appears in the folder list. I'm not sure what's going on with Hotmail, but this should not be happening.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Beta version Very unorganized compared to the regular outlook. Make it better if updating

If you want to change Outlook,which I think is at the moment the most organized email to use. Make it more easy to use. make it so I don't have to search in drop down menus to find where I block spam. And improve spam filter. If I get 50 different Spam emails from "Anna" within a week,but each uses a slightly different email address,make it easier for us to block them all etc. Have a CLEAN and easy to use and Intuitiv UI,where everything is obvious.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bring back hover search of email senders!

Can't hover over sender of email to search for more emails from that sender, so I can delete them all at once.
    This is a huge time waster for me!
    Why did you change this feature Microsoft??

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. sweep

the sweep option disappears when search results are displayed.... so, if i realise i have lots of emails from one address and i want to set a rule to sweep them... how can i use sweep if it's not there?

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. edit subject line on received email

Old versions, you could edit the subject line of received emails. Now you can't. This feature was very useful streamlining digital file retention. Is this going to be revisited in future versions?

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Close email when selecting the the folder

It would be good to have back the functionality on closing the selected email if we click the folder that contains the email. I don't like to have opened email all the time and right now I have to select a different folder and get back to the folder I was to not to have an email opened.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Search does not work correctly

I did a search on "John", looking for an email I sent to . I was on the Inbox when I initiated the search, and the search filter was set to "All folders". Search found his name and email address, but found no email, which makes little sense since he is not in my People. I clicked on the Sent folder and did the same search on "John", and it found the name/address as well as the email.

What testing are you doing on features that something this obvious isn't found?

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. search

The search function has taken a step back. Yes it's nice that it's just a single search box, but, without the ability to filter, it's useless. This is bad enough that I'd forego the entire new design. Either allow other conditions in the search string, such as "folder:saved" or put the filters back on the navigation bar so that folder, dates, etc. can be used to filter search results.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Visually awful, especially on small devices

I have tried this new look and find it awful from a visual aspect. The smaller the screen, the harder it is to read what is on the screen due to the increased number of vertical columns. Some search aspects are improved, but I would not subscribe or change to this new format.
    If the new format is enforced, I may be forced, after 20+ years as an Outlook user, to find an alternative email supplier

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Deleting spam mails should permanently delete them

At the moment deleting mails within the spam folder moves them to the trash folder. If the spam mail keeps being unread, the trash folder gets marked as it contains an unread mail.
    In my opinion it would be better if deleting spam mails would permanently delete them (possibly with an option for undoing that deletion) or at least mark them as read.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. microsoft deleted my emails older than 10 years old without my knowledge, with no warning or opportunity to download and store them locally

why did Microsoft delete email older than 10 years old with no warning? last year I was able to search ALL my very old emails for important messages and attachments. now that has ended. there was no warning from Microsoft that they were going to delete anything older than 10 years old, no opportunity to have the option to save them locally to ensure valuable data was not lost.
    it is an outrage! if you search this topic you will find that it is not an isolated incident, but the 'solution' provided was to use the outlook app and use…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. make search bar a universal search for both contacts and use bing to find local businesses etc

On my android phone, my phone app lets me search my contacts but also utilise web search to find details on local businesses so I can call them directly.
    It would be great if the search bar could leverage Bing/Cortana to not just locate contacts, but also search business details, allowing you to contact them directly rather than searching the internet manually and copying a contact email address into the email.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Advanced search missing

Add advanced search option on web page like you provide in desktop outlook version.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Search is useless

Search is useless. I've searched for portions of strings that are clearly inside HTML portions of my emails and the search UI fails to find them.

Example. I see emails from American Airlines (HTML format, not attachments) containing my flight-number. If i search for a portion of that number...search can't find it.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base