OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

New experiences in Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable sorting by sender, dates, subject, etc. in the filter dropdown

The filter tab in the earlier version allowed to sort by sender / subject etc. Please enable that

4,855 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

280 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

December 2017: Thanks for your patience and continued use of the Outlook.com beta! We roll out new improvements every week, and are elated to announce that a recent update opened up this feature to you! You now can sort your message list by Receive Time (default), Sender Name, and Message Size.

We will continue to make other improvements to the Outlook.com beta experience; thanks for your support!

• Undo Button

Change the Undo button to its original functionality as well as positioning. Previously the Undo button was on the right hand side of Web Outlook, ever since the update it move it to the left hand side. On top of changing location the button doesn't have the same functionality... previously when viewing an e-mail and deleting one, the undo button was featured on the right hand side as well.

174 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Expand the 'move to' list of folders, and also add New Folder

Users need to have the ability to move emails to any folders, not just the few shown when you click on 'move to'. The current version of Outlook allows you to expand the folder list so users can find the folder they want to move emails to, but the beta version got rid of that function.

4,208 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

242 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update November 2017:

We recently updated the Move to dropdown (in the command bar) and the Move to context menu item to prioritize your most-recently used folders. We believe this is an improvement that you will prefer over the fixed alphabetized list.

To create a new folder, simply use the New folder item in the folder pane.

Please enjoy the rest of Outlook.com!

• show date and time of our reply to a message

Lost feature: in the Classic version, showing at the top of a received message isa notation of the date and time when we replied to that message. It used to say, "you replied 10/19/2018, 7:34 am." Once I saw that confirmation, I knew whether to delete or move that received email from my inbox.

This feature is important, as it confirms not only that I have replied and that the message was sent successfully, it allows me to easily reference that reply in follow up emails. I can easily search for and confirm the content of my reply by accessing…

130 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • See more emails and not more advertising

Please, don't add advertising on our page of outlook or, if it's not possible, put them on the right side of the emails and very thin, so that way we will be able to see a lot of the emails that we have received and not only one or two as now.

52 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

240 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for using outlook.com and providing the great feedback! We are constantly looking at ways of improving our ad experience. I did want to let you know that if you have an Office 365 subscription, you actually do get an Ad Free Outlook.com experience as well as more space!

Thanks for the feedback and please keep it coming.

David Los

• Option to turn off Conversation view

Please allow option to turn off conversation view.

908 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

297 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you all for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback and sharing your opinions. Also I want to thank you for using outlook.com!

Now I just wanted to take a moment and provide you an update around some of the conversation view settings. There has been some folks that rather not have the conversation view, and return to the older style of viewing. I am happy to say that this is now an option

To do this do the following:

1) Go to the Gear menu in the top of the new outlook.com experience
                2) This opens the quick settings pane.
                3) For Conversation View, you can select Off. This will put you back into the experience you are more used to.

Finally, you can also change the sort order (newest on top, newest on bottom). This should give you the same flexibility that you had…

• Keep Notes Section In Calendar Event

When making a calendar event in the current Outlook.com there is a section to add notes. This is missing in the Beta Calendar. Notes are visible in the Beta from entries made in the current Outlook.com Calendar but you are unable to edit them. I use the notes section to remind me of details about calendar events. The loss of this option would force me to use a different Calendar app/service.

763 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

319 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • 32 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

53 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Safelinks isn't working

I can't click any link in any e-mail on any device.
                    Service Unavailable
                    HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

30 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Reading Pane on the Bottom

I'd like the reading pane on the bottom of the screen.

3,752 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

425 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • the look and feel

The look and feel is just terrible. There is way too much going on. I would like to keep it simple just like with the current UI. If this beta doesnt change and goes to production I am definitely switching over to gmail

994 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

• I used to be able to alphabetically sort emails in folders by subject. This is no longer an option. Please add a subject sort.

I set up over 250 recipes using the subject sort that was previously available. Now I have a folder of recipes that I have to go through one by one to find a particular recipe. Please restore our ability to select a sort by subject within folders.

157 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

95 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – I just wanted to thank you all for providing feedback about the missing sort options and wanting the ability to sort by subject.

We have started the work to bring this feature to the new experience. It should start showing up for your accounts over the coming weeks.

I will keep this topic updated with the latest.

Thanks for the feedback!

David Los

• Low-contrast colors in Outlook.com Beta Calendar

The color scheme used by the new Outlook.com Beta Calendar - particularly on the Month view, which this feedback is referring to - is a huge step backwards in user-friendliness and accessible design.

I make extensive use of categories in my calendar, with each category using a different color. With the pre-beta Outlook.com Calendar, the calendar appointments on the Month view were displayed as a solid, high-contrast, rectangular block of bold color with the title in bold text inside the block. The colors and styling closely matched those used in the Outlook 2016 desktop client, which made it very easy…

80 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Update is the worst.

Your update has made your email service completely unusable. This is the worst. I can't even figure out how to delete multiple emails on the desktop version. Disappointed as it is such a pain to have to change my email over to a new service. I have had the same email for years. But since the update I can not even be bothered.

Sometimes simple is better. You have completely wrecked everything that was great about hotmail.

84 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

• It is not functional, it disperses me, before I found everything much faster. I do not like. Thanks for letting me comment.

It is not functional, it disperses me, before I found everything much faster. I do not like. Thanks for letting me comment.

413 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

-The Outlook.com Team

• More options for reminder times

Miss being able to add alerts. ie a week two days and two hours, as with the old version.

109 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Don't show the Splash screen each time

If you're trying to chase me away from using Outlook, you're on the right track. Do I have to click to remove the popup announcement about the "improved" Outlook every single time I sign in? Do all the swell new features you crow about cause the extreme slowness of the system? Do you think people might not want your brilliant innovations forced on them, they're happy with things as they were?

57 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

45 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello all – I just wanted to provide a quick update. We were able to get a patch pushed out which disabled the spalsh screen that some of you were seeing on each login.

You should not be seeing the issue any more. However, I do want to let you know that it is highly likely that you will see it one more time in the coming days. As the fix to the bug roles out it will trigger the screen just one more time.

Thank you for reporting this issue, and sorry for the annoyance it caused!

Thanks

David Los

• Outlook floods my friends' mail

When I send an email to friends, each message is sent separately even when I respond to an existing message. Which causes the load in my friends mailbox because if I write 10 messages instead of reaching as one message it comes in 10 messages.
                                      Also in my box it appears about 10 posts which means that my box is also overloaded.
                                      I corresponded a long time ago at Microsoft Community and have not been able to help me out there so I'm turning here. You might want to look there and see the attached pictures to figure out some…

42 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • It's a mess.

It's a mess. Someone went wild with the crayons. I'm an adult; I want my emails to be displayed in clean, clear and succinct manner. It's Email, not the next great novel. Stop trying to fix what isn't broken. The old hotmail was clean, and now I'm dealing with Focus and Other - sheer idiocy, so don't make worse than it is!

217 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking time out of your day to try the new Outlook.com experience as well as providing feedback!

Since you have left this feedback, we have introduced a lot of additional settings that will allow you to configure the experience to be closer to the classic Hotmail/Outlook.com experience.

To get started click on the Gear in the top right.

From there you might want to Disable Conversation View, Reading Pane, Sender Photos, Attachment Previews, Group messages by date, and Focused Inbox.

Once you have those off it should look much more like the older experience.

Hope this helps, and please keep the feedback coming!

David Los

• Bring back the Skype integration

The Skype ias apparently gone from Outlook.com beta, as the Skype button near the Settings cog icon is nowhere to be found. I think many users didn't like the integration (there was no way to completely disable it) but it still was a nice feature for Skype users.

2,683 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

503 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update January 2018:

Skype is back! :)

More improvements to the Skype integration will come in the future, but for now, please enjoy the upgraded Skype chat experience!

P.S.: If you wish to mute notifications, you can do so in the Settings panel under General > Skype > Notifications.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base