OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

The new Outlook.com

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Block Sender

It is ridiculous that I have to type in the address of the email that is sending me junk. Why would I want to open an email to get the address? Just hitting the Block Sender was so much safer. This is ridiculous.

1,213 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

183 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Where is the block button in junk mail?

Where is the block button in junk mail? I used to be able to instantly block an address, now I have to open the email, cut and paste the address, and go to settings to block?! I thought updates were supposed to make things easier, not add more work.

407 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

134 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for using Outlook.com!

To block a user from the junk email folder, either:
    - Select one or more emails and click the “Not Junk” dropdown in the top menu bar → “Block”
    - Right-click on an email and select “Block”.

Note: In non-junk folders, the option to block a user is under the “Junk” dropdown in the top menu bar

3. 2,328 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

227 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve now made it possible to block users in non-junk folders.

Select one or more emails and click the “Junk” dropdown in the top menu bar → “Block”, or right-click on the email and select “Block”.

Note: To block users in the Junk email folder, select the “Not junk” dropdown in the top menu bar → “Block”, or right-click on the email and select “Block”.

4. I should be able to block senders and domains from my junk folder.

I should be able to block senders and domains from the junk folder--that's why it exists. Currently, I have to copy, then go to Settings, then paste. At least on a Mac, that doesn't work. I try to copy--it says to send to the clipboard, but when I try to paste, it pastes whatever I previously copied--not the email address. So essentially, I can't block anyone. This needs to be fixed now, as spam has greatly increased lately.

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback!

You can block a user by selecting a message(s) and then:
    - In the junk folder by clicking “Not spam” → “Block” in the top menu bar
    - In any folder by right-clicking → “Block”
    - On any email item by selecting More actions (“…” menu next to reply/forward) → “Block sender”

5. show from

When writing an email, I'd like the option to always display the FROM line as a default. I use several email addresses and this would let me know which one is in use at any time.

156 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

104 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you very much for providing the valuable feedback and for using Outlook.com. We truly do appreciate it!

I did want to let you know that based on your feedback, we have added back the FROM drop down on the compose form when you have multiple email accounts/aliases.

We hope that this helps improve the new Client experience for everyone.

Please keep the feedback coming!

Thanks

David Los

6. Make it easier to make Safe Sender

In older versions of Hotmail, it was very easy to mark a sender in junk to be on the white list. Now it is extremely involved to mark a sender as safe. What little functionality there is for this just does 1 mail not the actual sender. Additionally, the fancy new addons with java script make it more difficult to get the email address of the sender you want to mark as safe making a messy workflow even more cumbersome. Outlook has some best filters of any email service but this functionality has gone from bad to worse over the…

443 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can now add senders to your safe sender list by clicking into an email, then click the “…” menu located at the top right of the email, and selecting “Add to Safe senders”.

You can also view and add multiple senders to your Safe senders list at a time by going to Settings → Mail → Junk email → Safe senders and domains → Add.

7. inbox rules

Inbox rules need more detail like 'çontains' same as what was in the old outlook desktop e.g. I get my Facebook feed sent to email so I can easily work on one device and I want to apply a move rule, I need to apply it to each individual email. I also run 3 Facebook pages so this is alot of redundant effort. If I had contains then I could put a keyword in and run the rule

116 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

60 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, than you for all of the great feedback. I know that this feedback was left a few months ago. However, I did want to let you know that there is a new Rules experience. I believe this new experience will meet your requirements of being able to do more advanced filtering.

Please give it a try and let us know any other feedback you may have!

Here is a direct link to the rules settings
    https://outlook.live.com/mail/options/mail/rules

8. cannot find Junk Email options (blocked, safe senders) in "Outlook.com beta"

cannot find Junk Email options (blocked, safe senders) in "Outlook.com beta"

139 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback!

You can block a user:
    - In the junk folder by clicking “Not spam” → “Block” in the top menu bar
    - In any folder by right-clicking → “Block”
    - On any email item by selecting More actions (“…” menu next to reply/forward) → “Block sender”

You can add a user to your safe senders:
    - On any email item by selecting More actions (“…” menu next to reply/forward) → “Add to safe senders”

You can view your list of blocked/safe sender users and domains by going to Settings (Gear icon at top-right) → “View all Outlook settings” → “Mail” → “Junk email”

9. Hide or collapse flagged / pinned messages

Hi,

It could be nice to have the possibility to hide/unhide flagged (important) messages from the list. Like that it would be much easier to see the message you just received now.

Thank you

224 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

43 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I would like to thank everyone for using Outlook.com and for providing all of this great feedback!

We have been reviewing all of the varying feedback for pinned items. One of the things that we heard loud and clear was that you love Pinned Items, however lots of folks felt they were taking to much space up.

We are happy to say that we have adjsuted the UI to make them very clear that they are pinned as well as reduce the size that they take in your message list.

I hope that you enjoy these changes, and as always thanks for using Outlook and please keep the great feedback coming!

David Los

10. No info about "Suspicious" activity

Was temporarily locked for "Spamming." Please show me which mails was considered spam, so I can actually TELL if someone else was trying to use my account, or if its just because of my ongoing support ticket with another company.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

11. password change

Hello, My password has been compromised. But since my security info was linked with my old job email. I cant send code there. But if i change my security info to my cellphone,, it will take 1 month to validate! That means I can't change my password during 1 month! What should I do?
    Please help!
    Thank you!
    Qian

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

12. where is the multi select option so i can quickly delete emails? Also marking stuff for junk mail doesn't work I continuously get flooded

where is the multi select option so i can quickly delete emails? Also marking stuff for junk mail doesn't work I continuously get flooded with emails from the same person and they are junk! when I mark it junk it should stay junk unless I remove it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

-The Outlook.com Team

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

-The Outlook.com Team

14. I like to hover over junkmail emails to see the email address to see if it is spam or legit - I cant do that on the new version.

I like to hover over junkmail emails to see the email address to see if it is spam or legit - I cant do that on the new version.

296 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I would like to thank you all for using Outlook.com.
    And even more importantly thank you for taking the time to offer such detailed and actionable feedback.

I did want to send a quick update and let you know that we now have the ability to hoover over an email and see the actual email address.

Please feel free to give it a try and offer any additional feedback!

Thanks

David Los

15. Preview Pane - Options to disable, resize and move locations

I am very fond of my privacy and am not happy about the fact that everything shows a preview. (even with the 'Hide reading pane' option selected) Please implement the option te let us choose wether or not we want our e-mails to be previewed!
    e.g.: The first e-mail in my private inbox folder is an e-mail with pictures of a new bra my wife bought, of wich she is very proud.
    When I then am sitting next to my coworker and open Outlook to show him the pictures of my fishing trip last weekend, my wife's new bra is…

315 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

184 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks you very much for using outlook.com and for taking the time to provide all of the great feedback. I wanted to take a moment to let you know that there are now some additional options that should address the feedback in this posting.

1) You are now able to disable or enable the Reading Pane. This can be done right from the Quick Settings Menu. Just click the Gear in the top right

2) You are also able to change the location of the reading Pane. Instead of Just to the right you can also select on the bottom. Again this is found under the Gear menu in the top right.

3) Also, some folks have asked to make sure that no message is selected by default when you sign-in to Outlook.com. This setting is also an option.

To select that follow these steps:

Click the Gear in the…

16. settings

Most settings have disappeared from the "Full settings" section! Where have blocked senders, offline storage and sorting rules gone?

184 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

71 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! Over the past few months, we’ve added many settings. We now support almost all of the same settings that we did in the old experience.

We’ve added support for blocked senders and rules, though we have ended offline support due to low usage.

17. reading pane

There should always be an option to have the reading pane below the message list. If there is not, I will no longer use hotmail. Of course, I only use it for my junk email now anyway as Inbox by Gmail fits my needs much better for email that I actually need.

147 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

62 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thanks for all of the great feedback! I just wanted everyone to know that we have options to configure the reading pane in a variety of ways. Including Reading Pane Off, Reading Pane on Bottom, and reading pane on right.

To do this log into your outlook.com account and go into the Beta. From there you can select the Gear in the top right. The quick settings has the reading pane options.

hope this helps!

18. How to delete spams with the new version ?

There is no more "delete" option on the screen when we are in the spam mails. (which means we have to delete them directly from the keyboard)
    In the French version at least.
    Why ?

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

-The Outlook.com Team

19. complain

someone send mail me your account will block in 48 hours

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

-The Outlook.com Team

20. trackingupdates@fedex.com

trackingupdates@fedex.com should not be marked as Junk Email

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

-The Outlook.com Team

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base