OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Block Sender

It is ridiculous that I have to type in the address of the email that is sending me junk. Why would I want to open an email to get the address? Just hitting the Block Sender was so much safer. This is ridiculous.

1,213 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

184 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. PLEASE HELP WITH JUNK and SPAM!

PLEASE HELP WITH JUNK and SPAM!

I am getting A TON of really inappropriate and obviously spam e-mails. Whatever MSN and Hotmail are currently doing to ensure these do not come to our mailboxes (ANY folder, including JUNK - I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THIS!) is not working. Can I PLEASE speak to someone about this problem. It's been increasing over the last year and I'm really tired of it. It's not appropriate and these are very clearly not "real" e-mails. I do not have time in the day to block individually. PLEASE contact me about this problem. I'm…

258 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

421 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to report your issues with our spam filters, as well as for using Outlook.com.

I just wanted to let you all know that as of this morning we have made some changes to our spam filters. This should help reduce some of the levels of spam you may have been experiencing.

Thanks

David Los

3. Where is the block button in junk mail?

Where is the block button in junk mail? I used to be able to instantly block an address, now I have to open the email, cut and paste the address, and go to settings to block?! I thought updates were supposed to make things easier, not add more work.

408 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

151 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for using Outlook.com!

To block a user from the junk email folder, either:
    - Select one or more emails and click the “Not Junk” dropdown in the top menu bar → “Block”
    - Right-click on an email and select “Block”.

Note: In non-junk folders, the option to block a user is under the “Junk” dropdown in the top menu bar

4. Problem with Subscriptions.

I unsubscribed individually from dozens of subscriptions in my subscriptions list that I never subscribed to. It took me more than 30 minutes because of the lack of a bulk select button.

I still cannot unsubscribe from VictoriaHearts 1xwww.gdn or several other craps in my subscriptions list.

Please stop adding **** to my subscriptions list without my prior approvasl. I did not subscribe to that ****.

Please let me bulk edit my subscriptions list and select which to block after unsubscribing.

I also could not select by page the dozens of bounceback emails that I received upon unsubscribing.

77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

60 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey all! I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing these problems. Outlook does not subscribe you to any subscription emails, so these emails are from other senders who have your email address.

We do allow you to bulk-select your messages.. above all your emails at the top, there is a gray circle with a check inside it. Click this circle and it will turn blue, and you will select all emails in the folder that you are currently in. See the attached photo for more details.

You should be able to unsubscribe to these individually by clicking a link on each unwanted email. Alternatively, you can block the sender in settings by going to Mail > Junk email > Block Senders. https://outlook-sdf.office.com/mail/options/mail/junkEmail

We’ll also be releasing a feature soon which will let you manage all of your subscriptions from inside your Outlook.com account… Stay on the lookout!

Colin

5. 2,327 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

242 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve now made it possible to block users in non-junk folders.

Select one or more emails and click the “Junk” dropdown in the top menu bar → “Block”, or right-click on the email and select “Block”.

Note: To block users in the Junk email folder, select the “Not junk” dropdown in the top menu bar → “Block”, or right-click on the email and select “Block”.

6. Incorrect translation in french.

There's a wrong translation for french in the spam folder. I guess english label to empty this folder is "Empty folder", which has been translated to "Dossier vide" (means "Folder IS empty").
    Correct translation is : "Vider le dossier"

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Why is blocking spam made difficult?

It's almost impossible to manage spam and unwanted mail unless you are willing to spend a good deal of time searching around the programme and asking for help. No support in particular for blocking domain. Why? It should be made easy unless MS benefits from spammers activities?

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey! You can right click on an email and “Mark as Junk” to mark an item as spam.

If you think an email is a phishing attack, you can open the email and click on the … next to the reply actions in the top right corner. There, you can click “Mark as Phishing”.

Hope this helps!

Colin

8. I like to hover over junkmail emails to see the email address to see if it is spam or legit - I cant do that on the new version.

I like to hover over junkmail emails to see the email address to see if it is spam or legit - I cant do that on the new version.

299 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

42 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I would like to thank you all for using Outlook.com.
    And even more importantly thank you for taking the time to offer such detailed and actionable feedback.

I did want to send a quick update and let you know that we now have the ability to hoover over an email and see the actual email address.

Please feel free to give it a try and offer any additional feedback!

Thanks

David Los

9. Do not auto open the next email when I mark an email is junk

If you have marked a mail as a junk mail, the next mail will be opened automatically. That disturbs. I would like to move them unopened as junk mail.

1,094 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off thank you for taking the time to provide all of this valuable feedback! I just wanted to update you on progress for some work.

We are happy to say that we have changed the way junk mail deletes work. Instead of opening the message automatically we return to the message list. This directly addresses the feedback that we have heard from all of you.

Hope this helps!

David Los

10. I should be able to block senders and domains from my junk folder.

I should be able to block senders and domains from the junk folder--that's why it exists. Currently, I have to copy, then go to Settings, then paste. At least on a Mac, that doesn't work. I try to copy--it says to send to the clipboard, but when I try to paste, it pastes whatever I previously copied--not the email address. So essentially, I can't block anyone. This needs to be fixed now, as spam has greatly increased lately.

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback!

You can block a user by selecting a message(s) and then:
    - In the junk folder by clicking “Not spam” → “Block” in the top menu bar
    - In any folder by right-clicking → “Block”
    - On any email item by selecting More actions (“…” menu next to reply/forward) → “Block sender”

11. show from

When writing an email, I'd like the option to always display the FROM line as a default. I use several email addresses and this would let me know which one is in use at any time.

156 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

104 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you very much for providing the valuable feedback and for using Outlook.com. We truly do appreciate it!

I did want to let you know that based on your feedback, we have added back the FROM drop down on the compose form when you have multiple email accounts/aliases.

We hope that this helps improve the new Client experience for everyone.

Please keep the feedback coming!

Thanks

David Los

12. Make it easier to make Safe Sender

In older versions of Hotmail, it was very easy to mark a sender in junk to be on the white list. Now it is extremely involved to mark a sender as safe. What little functionality there is for this just does 1 mail not the actual sender. Additionally, the fancy new addons with java script make it more difficult to get the email address of the sender you want to mark as safe making a messy workflow even more cumbersome. Outlook has some best filters of any email service but this functionality has gone from bad to worse over the…

443 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can now add senders to your safe sender list by clicking into an email, then click the “…” menu located at the top right of the email, and selecting “Add to Safe senders”.

You can also view and add multiple senders to your Safe senders list at a time by going to Settings → Mail → Junk email → Safe senders and domains → Add.

13. inbox rules

Inbox rules need more detail like 'çontains' same as what was in the old outlook desktop e.g. I get my Facebook feed sent to email so I can easily work on one device and I want to apply a move rule, I need to apply it to each individual email. I also run 3 Facebook pages so this is alot of redundant effort. If I had contains then I could put a keyword in and run the rule

116 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

60 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, than you for all of the great feedback. I know that this feedback was left a few months ago. However, I did want to let you know that there is a new Rules experience. I believe this new experience will meet your requirements of being able to do more advanced filtering.

Please give it a try and let us know any other feedback you may have!

Here is a direct link to the rules settings
    https://outlook.live.com/mail/options/mail/rules

14. cannot find Junk Email options (blocked, safe senders) in "Outlook.com beta"

cannot find Junk Email options (blocked, safe senders) in "Outlook.com beta"

140 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback!

You can block a user:
    - In the junk folder by clicking “Not spam” → “Block” in the top menu bar
    - In any folder by right-clicking → “Block”
    - On any email item by selecting More actions (“…” menu next to reply/forward) → “Block sender”

You can add a user to your safe senders:
    - On any email item by selecting More actions (“…” menu next to reply/forward) → “Add to safe senders”

You can view your list of blocked/safe sender users and domains by going to Settings (Gear icon at top-right) → “View all Outlook settings” → “Mail” → “Junk email”

15. settings

Most settings have disappeared from the "Full settings" section! Where have blocked senders, offline storage and sorting rules gone?

185 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

71 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! Over the past few months, we’ve added many settings. We now support almost all of the same settings that we did in the old experience.

We’ve added support for blocked senders and rules, though we have ended offline support due to low usage.

16. Block Sender Email Address Confirmation

when you click on block to block a sender, display the email address it's blocking and a yes/no option to confirm. this is on the existing

257 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Hide or collapse flagged / pinned messages

Hi,

It could be nice to have the possibility to hide/unhide flagged (important) messages from the list. Like that it would be much easier to see the message you just received now.

Thank you

226 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

45 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I would like to thank everyone for using Outlook.com and for providing all of this great feedback!

We have been reviewing all of the varying feedback for pinned items. One of the things that we heard loud and clear was that you love Pinned Items, however lots of folks felt they were taking to much space up.

We are happy to say that we have adjsuted the UI to make them very clear that they are pinned as well as reduce the size that they take in your message list.

I hope that you enjoy these changes, and as always thanks for using Outlook and please keep the great feedback coming!

David Los

18. Missing block for select all in Junk folder

JUNK select all needs block button

190 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

55 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the late response on this one! It totally fell off our radar to close out.

I just wanted to let you know that you can in fact bulk mark as phishing or block from the junk folder.

If you select multiple or select all you can use the not junk drop down at the top of screen and select block.

Hope this helps!

David Los

19. password change

Hello, My password has been compromised. But since my security info was linked with my old job email. I cant send code there. But if i change my security info to my cellphone,, it will take 1 month to validate! That means I can't change my password during 1 month! What should I do?
    Please help!
    Thank you!
    Qian

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

20. External images are accessed violating privacy and security

Outlook automatically fetches external images in email I have received. This is a privacy issue because it may tell the sender that the email reached me. This is a security issue because may of these messages, from senders both trustworthy (i.e. financial institutions with which I do business) and untrustworthy (marketing email) disclose sufficient information in web bugs and other external references to allow a third party to capture PII.

What makes this more puzzling is that some emails have a header reporting that external references have been blocked because the sender isn't in the safe senders list. These include…

144 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Spam  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there – Thanks again for all of the feedback and for using Outlook.com.

I just wanted to let you know that there is indeed an option to block images from loading from anyone not on your safe sender list.

Go into the Settings, select Junk Mail and look under the filter section. The second option will block all images from loading unless you explicitly say.

thanks!

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base