OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Want Classic Back!

Title: Want Classic Back: I want switched back to classic view. There is no option for me to switch to classic. I was forced to use beta. Please make it an option to choose.

7,766 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2693 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off…

2. BLOCK EMAIL ADDRESSES

BLOCK EMAIL ADDRESSES - The option to block junk email addresses used to be on your menu along with Sweep, Move to and Delete. An update you made 1-2 years ago removed this, making it MORE cumbersome to block bogus email addresses. Now I have to (1) select one or more email addresses, (2) right-click, (3) then select Block. Please restore this to the menu bar.

629 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

127 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey, thanks for your feedback! You can currently do this from the menu bar. When you’ve opened an email (or selected multiple), click the “Junk” dropdown button in the command bar. You can find this button below the search bar, next to the “Delete” and “Archive” buttons. Then select “Block” from the menu that appears below the “Junk” button.

Colin

3. Infinite scroll makes it impossible to get to old emails

Previous iterations of outlook.com have used pagination or viewport scrolling to allow me to accurately jump to any point in the middle of my inbox. The new layout, however, uses infinite scrolling, meaning that if I want to view a message more than a few days old, I have to scroll to the bottom, wait for a few messages to load, scroll to the bottom, wait for more messages to load, ad infinitum.

In fact, I can't any way in the new inbox of jumping to a historical email. If I can remember that I received an email at the…

4,023 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

252 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! We recommend that you use Search to find older emails.

If you click in the search bar, on the right (next to the search icon) you will see a dropdown menu that says “All folders”.

Click on this menu, and then select the date range that you want to search in. Once you’ve applied this date range, you can search within just those dates to see your emails.

Colin

4. "Send" goes to drafts

Everything I "send" goes to drafts and doesn't get sent.

856 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

525 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Mail > Subscription

Hotmail/Outlook- Mail > Subscriptions > I can not delete newsletters I did not subscribe to
    Under my settings>mail>subscriptions - there is a ton of newsletters/junk email/spam that I never added and can not delete. I don't know how they got there and how can i remove them.

No matter what I've tried to delete these it doesn't work - spammers latched themselves this way?

528 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

379 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve finished the development work and will be rolling out a new version of the subscription manager over the next few weeks!

You may see that your subscriptions are deleted and the subscription manager is reset. We’re doing this so that we can purge all of the incorrect subscriptions from your list.

Colin

6. BLOCK/STOP ALL ADS

BLOCK ALL ADS
    I WOULD RATHER LOOK AT THIS THAN ANY ADS
    STOP THE AD HARRASSMENT

117 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Display Modes for Density or Compact

isn't it possible to have more compact view? menus are taking lots of space in screen and way too annoying.

5,842 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1483 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I again thank each and everyone of you for using Outlook.com and for providing all of your feedback. I wanted to let you know that as of today we have enabled Density settings. There are three modes which control how tight and how much information is shown on the screen.

To change the density settings click on the gear in the top right (settings). In the pane that opened you should see three setting Full, Medium and Compact.

Hope this helps address some of the concerns around white space :)

Thanks again,

David Los

8. Can't attach files - STILL!

Outlook.com has become a failure. It would seem that 90% of the time I'm unable to send an email with an attachment as I get to notifications to say either "The following files couldn't be attached" or "this message can't be saved at the moment". If this is a lame attempt to have me use the cloud or go 'pro' it has failed. I will now go to Gmail. MS - you're becoming a legacy and not current and vital!!

351 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  98 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Block unwanted mail

PLEASE add BLOCK to the Delete Box. That should be so easy for you to do.
    Thank you.

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. "Get started" new box under emails

I have this new "get started" section at the foot of my inbox and I cant delete it even though all the boxes are ticked. What is happening?

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 663 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

382 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

12. Previewing attachments

New way of previewing attachments doesn't display them properly, half the page is off the screen.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Bulk delete of subscriptions

unsubscribing from subscriptions. It would be good to have the ability to unsubscribe from multiple subscriptions, especially when they were added through a junk email. Also, removing any subscription automatically that is linked to a junk email would be great.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey, thanks for your feedback!

You can already do this! Open the settings page by clicking on the gear in the header. Then search “subscriptions” in the settings pane search bar. Then click on “Subscriptions”, and it will show you a list of all the senders who you have a subscription to. (Please note: Microsoft does NOT sign you up for any of these subscriptions. We are just showing you which subscriptions you’ve been added to already, usually because you gave your email to a site online).

You can then unsubscribe from any of those emails using the subscriptions manager!

14. Fix the subscription feature or delete it.

Fix the subscription feature or delete it.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. GET RID OF FOCUSED MAIL NOW!

Get rid of the focused mail!, just sort by date cause i have to go through extra steps to find mail thats not there cause it didnt meet the criteria of focused, whatever that may be.

332 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

191 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for using outlook.com, and for providing such great actionable feedback!

I just wanted to let you all know that if you don’t like the Focused Inbox, you are able to easily disable it. When you disable it you will get all of your inbox items in a single view.

To do this, do the following:

1) Click on the Gear in the top right,
    2) this opens the Quick Settings Pane, from here look for Focused Inbox. Turn it off.

Hope this helps!

16. Rules Not Working

I have several emails that are supposed to go to specific folders, but here recently I see them either in my inbox or in my spam folder. Why aren't my rules working anymore?

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you, everyone, for reporting this issue to us. We understand the frustration around this issue that has been ongoing for some time, and are working to track down issues.

In order to help us pinpoint issues, please be as descriptive as possible in highlighting what your specific issue is when posting a comment.

In the meanwhile, here are some instructions and help to attempt to mitigate issues with your Mailbox:

- In order to create rules: 1) Right-click on a specific email and select “Create rule”. 2) Select the overflow menu in the top menu bar and click “Create rule”. 3) Click “Settings” → “Mail” → “Rules” → “Add new rules”

- Rules run in order from top to bottom on your rules list in the rules settings page. If you have a rule created with the option “Stop processing more rules” (enabled by default), once that rule condition…

17. "empty folder" option on inbox is dangerous

please disable the "empty folder" option when right clicking on inbox

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. No way to block unwanted email/domains

Please correct the junk email box icons to allow customers to put in block emails and save them. The save icon does not work at all.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. show date and time of our reply to a message

Lost feature: in the Classic version, showing at the top of a received message isa notation of the date and time when we replied to that message. It used to say, "you replied 10/19/2018, 7:34 am." Once I saw that confirmation, I knew whether to delete or move that received email from my inbox.

This feature is important, as it confirms not only that I have replied and that the message was sent successfully, it allows me to easily reference that reply in follow up emails. I can easily search for and confirm the content of my reply by accessing…

130 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Don't Like Delete Icon 'popping up' in the Inbox, when the deleted email is reachable in the Deleted Folder.

I don't like the feature that 'pops up' (on the "Inbox") when one deletes an email. (It states: "Deleted" and "Undo".) It is very distracting and hides / covers up upcoming emails on the Inbox list. - What is the purpose to retrieve it (deleted email) from our regular 'delete folder'? WE CAN JUST GO TO OUR DELETED FOLDER. - If you were to find a way to bring up deleted emails (deleted from the delete folder) that would be a good feature. But to have an icon pop-up in the Inbox with every time we click to delete an…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Mail  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
  • Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base