OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect feedback from you and other Outlook users. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This is the forum where you can give us feedback about the new experiences in Outlook.com.

Please vote on ideas you like. If you have a new idea that hasn’t been submitted by anyone else, submit it. If you have many ideas, submit them separately. This will help us decide what to build next.

We’ll reply to top issues, and will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks for trying the beta!

For more information, check out our help page.

The new Outlook.com

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. My coworker accidentally unchecked "Try the beta" and now she can't get it ack

My coworker and I accessed the Outlook beta via the direct URL, but she accidentally unchecked "Try the beta". Now when she tries to re-access the beta via URL, it will flash the beta theme, then go back to the old theme. This is noted in a few blog posts, including on the Verge: "Don’t untick the “try the beta” toggle though, as this will permanently remove you from the beta interface, even with this workaround."

Is there anyway to get this back?

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

30 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hate that the next email pops up automatically, loved the old version that lets me choose what to open.

Hate that the next email pops up automatically, loved the old version that lets me choose what to open.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello – First off thank you for the feedback and for using the new Outlook.com experience.

I just wanted to let you know that we do indeed have the option to not open items up automatically after you deleted/closed one.

To do this, select the Gear at the top right, scroll down to the bottom and select view Outlook Settings.

From there, under the Reading Pane section you can see message open options.

Hope this helps

David Los

3. Hate it, I used to love the simple hotmail.com

the original hotmail.com had won my heart as many others would agree. Just give me back the hotmail.com layout, everything was so simple and easy to navigate. i have to think too much to operate with outlook., I dislike outlook and I absolutely despise the beta.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

First off, thank you for taking time out of your day to try the new Outlook.com experience as well as providing feedback!

Since you have left this feedback, we have introduced a lot of additional settings that will allow you to configure the experience to be closer to the classic Hotmail/Outlook.com experience.

To get started click on the Gear in the top right.

From there you might want to Disable Conversation View, Reading Pane, Sender Photos, Attachment Previews, Group messages by date, and Focused Inbox.

Once you have those off it should look much more like the older experience.

Hope this helps, and please keep the feedback coming!

David Los

4. I don't like it AT ALL!

I hate having the email on one side only -I want it full page with nothing else on the screed- , I hate all those colours by the contacts -tiring, overload of info, distracting, most users won't be at pre-school age so we can do with black and blue alone!- I hate the location of the send/forward..., For a minute I was hopeful you had decided to go back to the previous version, please restore that one!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking time out of your day to try the new Outlook.com experience as well as providing feedback!

Since you have left this feedback, we have introduced a lot of additional settings that will allow you to configure the experience to be closer to the classic Hotmail/Outlook.com experience.

Specifically you might be interested in disabling the Sender Photos (the color circles next to names) and the Reading Pane.

To get started click on the Gear in the top right.

From there you might want to Disable Conversation View, Reading Pane, Sender Photos, Attachment Previews, Group messages by date, and Focused Inbox.

Once you have those off it should look much more like the older experience.

Hope this helps, and please keep the feedback coming!

David Los

5. hotmail

Please undo all of the changes made in September 2018. The new interface looks like it was designed for mentally challenged chimpanzees.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

6. just bad

The whole thing is too messy. It's hard to navigate and find stuff. I try and send a new email and it puts at the very bottom of my inbox messages, so i have to scroll to the bottom of them to be able to type in the fields for a new email. the left side bar menu navigation is a mess as well. there should be no favourites for anything, menu or inbox., extremely confusing. just have your basic folders and then the ones the individual creates. I honestly like the very first hotmail... go back to old school…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

7. 17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

-The Outlook.com Team

8. Too Fruity

The beta design looks like something I would find associated with Android or Apple iOS. I don't like it. I love the clean, minimalistic designs that I am familiar with in Windows 8.x and 10 and I prefer my Microsoft web apps to reflect that. Being able to choose between the two designs, permanently, might be nice for the users who like more color and symbols. (Actually, the symbols aren't a bad addition.) K.I.S.S.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

-The Outlook.com Team

9. Forcing change/Perspective

Sure wish you would stop forcing change on Users. Additionally, would appreciate it if you all would stop using/making assumptions to win Users over. For example: You introduced Skype. Whether we wanted it or not, you forced it upon us, with no option to Opt out. Even if you stop the lync and such, come the next update, its just back there again. I think most would agree, we would like the option of saying yes or no to something added to the service we are accustomed to. Then there is my IM visibility in email. You all think, "Why…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

-The Outlook.com Team

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

-The Outlook.com Team

11. Hate the Beta! So hard to use. Can't see the email unless you open it. Really hard to navigate thru the emails.

Hate the new BETA. Can't see the email unless you open it. Don't really know what I am doing and afraid I will delete the important emails. NOT USER FRIENDLY!!!! Take this away!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

-The Outlook.com Team

12. Integrated Skype on Outlook.com BETA needs to honor Dark Mode

Integrated Skype on Outlook.com BETA Dark Mode is still in white background.

1. The integrated Skype on Outlook.com BETA is still listing all the recent conversations in white background.

2. The integrated Skype on Outlook.com BETA is still displaying the messageBox for the conversation in white background.

Additionally, the messageBox that is powered by HelpShift in the Help is also in white background.

It would be best to have these addressed to honor the Dark Mode setting so that during navigation to help or using integrated Skype will not cause sudden blindness by the white background especially when the eyes…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 326 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello – First off thanks for using outlook.com, and thanks for providing the great feedback.

From your suggestions, I believe that you are wanting to get a view that is pretty much like the old experience. There are a variety of controls/options that have been introduced that will help you achieve something close.

To do this follow the following steps

1) When you are in the new outlook.com experience/Beta, click on the gear in the top right.
    2) This opens the Quick Settings Pane, I would recommend you toggle off the following to match the old experience.
    – Reading Pane - Set it it to OFF
    – Sender Image – Set it to OFF
    – Message Preview Text – Set it to OFF
    – Focused/Other – Set it to OFF

Hope this helps!

14. I don't like the half mail list and the half content style.

I don't like the half mail list and the half content style.

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. If you are not a fan of viewing both the mail list, and the reading pane at the same time, we have a setting for that!

From within the beta do the following:
    1) Click on the Gear in the top right.
    2) Under the Reading Pane section, select Hide.

This will get you back to the Message list only view. Hope that helps!

15. I hate it.

I hate it. I hate having to look at 2 different inboxes. I hate that now I can't see the actual email that I'm trying to open because the screen is so crowded. Too cramped! Also, the way this feedback forum works is frustrating. Why make everything so overly complicated? It really reduces function.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

First off, I just would like to take a minute and thank you all for providing feedback about the new outlook.com experience.

There are a couple of items that I wanted to address. First, I know that there are some folks that do not like their mail separated into focused and other. This feature can easily be turned off by clicking the Gear in the top right hand corner.

Secondly, there are a variety of other features which can be turned off that will make the experience more like the classic outlook.com experience.

They can also all be found in the Quick Settings.

They would be the Conversation View, Reading Pane (set it to Off), Sender Image (the colorful circles), Group messages by date (this is the date headers in the message list, Attachment preview.

Disabling those and you should feel much more like the older experience.

Hope this helps

16. I want to see senders and subject lines only, not have email body in same window

I have always hated and don't use the desktop version of Outlook for this reason. I want sender, subject, and time only in web mail. Let me choose to open the body in another window.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for trying the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that you can turn the Reading Pane off yourself by taking these steps:

1. Go to Settings (gear icon at top-right)
    2. Reading pane > Hide (it’s a radio button)

If this is the mode you prefer, go right ahead and personalize your Outlook.com that way!

17. Conversations

Quit trying to be Gmail!!! There is a REASON we use Outlook and not Gmail. The conversations feature is an absolute beat down - especially with a fairly lengthy group conversation. I mean, I'd rather have my toenails ripped out than try to find my last comment in a thread like that. At the very least, let us disable this mostly copy-cat feature. Innovate, for once. Come up with something new and unique. If it's going to turn into Gmail, let us know. I'd rather just move to Gmail since they clearly do "their" thing better than you will. But…

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks for using Outlook.com. I just wanted to let you know that you are able to disable conversation view from the beta.

Here are the steps

1) From within the Beta, Click the gear at the top right.
    2) This will open a Panel on the right and you should see Conversation View settings. There are three. The first is Newest on Top, Newest on Bottom, and finally Off.

If you select Off you will not have to interact with conversations again :)

Hope this helps, and thanks for the great feedback!

David Los

18. Focus

I like the 'Outlook layout' but do not like the 'focus' function

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to take a minute and thank you all for taking time to provide all of this feedback and for using Outlook.com

I also want to apologize for any frustration that Focused Inbox has caused you.

I do want to let you know that you are able to disable this feature if you do not like it.

To do this, click on the Gear icon in the top right. This opens the quick settings. Disable the Focused Inbox.

Now your inbox will be back into a single one.

Hope this helps

David Los

19. Automatic Reply feature

I can't find the option "Automatic Reply" in the beta version. Where is it? This is an important feature that's available in the current version under "Options."

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for using Outlook.com and for taking the time to provide feedback!

I wanted to again thank you for trying out the new Outlook.com experience. I also wanted to let you know that we have added the Automatic Reply feature to the new experience. It can be found under settings. Just click the Gear in the top right hand corner.

Hope this helps!

David Los

20. copy

I couldn't highlight text to copy and paste

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you all for trying the Outlook.com Beta! I just wanted to let you all know that there was indeed a bug which prevented copy/paste in a few cases. These fixes have since been deployed, and you should no longer be experiencing these problems.

Thanks for all of the reports, and please keep the feedback coming!

David Los

• Don't see your idea?

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base