OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Problem with "Manage Subscriptions" & Junk Email

Within the past 2 weeks I've been receiving excessive junk mail in my inbox, and most of it relates to subscriptions that I did not request, but which now show under Manage Subscriptions. I keep blocking the emails and have unsubscribed to the subscriptions in the mail tools, but I never had this problem before.

199 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gerri shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey all! I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing these problems. Outlook does not subscribe you to any subscription emails, so these emails are from other senders who have your email address.

You should be able to unsubscribe to these individually by clicking a link on each unwanted email. Alternatively, you can block the sender in settings by going to Mail > Junk email > Block Senders. https://outlook-sdf.office.com/mail/options/mail/junkEmail

We’ll also be releasing a feature soon which will let you manage all of your subscriptions from inside your Outlook.com account… Stay on the lookout!

Colin

140 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jo Barker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Outlook Email, under the Setting's Email there is a Subscription Folder to the left of the screen. To the Right is a list of all these alleged Subscriptions that I am enrolled with. To the fair right of these listed Subscriptions is an UNSUBSCRIBE link. THESE LINKS DO NOT WORK.

When exactly with these bogus subscriptions be removed - all have been previously marked as SPAM but now show up in SUBSCRIPTIONS.

HERE is the KICKER: I DO NOT USE LIVE FOR EMAIL

• Dennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE THIS IS AS BAD AS THE RANDOM PHONE CALLS ABOUT STUDENT LOANS AND HEALTHCARE THAT NEVER QUIT I DID NOT HAVE PAIN UNTIL THE PAIN ADVISORS CALLED PLEASE STOP THESE SUBSCRIPTIONS

• Paul Skram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I started clicking the Unsubscribe button that sometimes appears at the top of a spam email and here's what then happens:
    1-Sometimes there's a notice that I am now unsubscribed, or my address was added to a suppression list;
    2-Sometimes the browser warns I have arrived at a dangerous site;
    3-Sometimes I am redirected to a broken site;
    4-Sometimes I am advised that my address is already on their suppression list.
    So you can see that clicking on the 'Unsubscribe' link is actually useless motion, that even if an attempt is successful the sender plainly ignores their suppression list.
    So quit telling us to click the useless 'Unsubscribe' link.

• Williams G. Ford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The are some subscriptions that cannot be unsubscribed from. Please put a report as spam feature and a delete button for such subscriptions. 'Thanks.

• Michael S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want the ability to delete subscriptions I do not authorize. Microsoft has created many tools to help users. This ability should be an easy fix. If they don't, then they don't care about us

I think Microsoft is selling access to our subscription lists and that is why we have no control. Eventually they will offer (for a price) to remove all the bogus and spam subscriptions. It's all about the Benjamins .

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not understand why Microsoft allows this kind of activity to happen. Our email accounts are being controlled by other services that placed subscription email (junk and spam emails) in our account and we cannot remove it? That does not make sense. Why can't there be just a delete subscription option on the account? Why can't we just delete the link? We NEVER permitted these junk and spam services to attach their subscription to our accounts. Please fix this. thank you.

The comment on July 2 2019 by moderator Colin is absurd on its face and betrays the fact that Colin must not have even read our comments otherwise Colin would know that we are not responsible for all these bogus subscriptions. How stupid to say all we have to do is unsubscribe when we all have stated that WE CANNOT UNSUBSCRIBE, it does not work, it is broken.
    Moderator Colin says, "Alternatively,you can block the sender in settings by going to Mail > Junk email > Block Senders." But as anyone with the least experience knows, this is a useless option because the spam senders and bogus subscribers easily and constantly change their addresses.
    It would be nice if Microsoft would have someone with actual experience work on this problem instead of inexperienced newbies. Looks like Microsoft is not giving this problem the slightest effort to fix. What a shame and Microsoft should be ashamed. You can bet the guys at Microsoft read and joke about our complaints? But the joke is on them, because it is their reputation that is suffering.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be able to block subscriptions that we NEVER allowed or has been added to the Subscriptions. Please make this option available to delete and permanently block. thank you.

• Joe Gregson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Subscriptions is broken. I have hundreds of subscriptions listed that I know nothing about, and the unsubscribe tool does not work. Why not just put a Block Sender tool (one that actually works) instead of the worthless Unsubscribe button? You could also just put a Delete tool to remove the bogus subscriptions from the list, so they would have a chance to go to Junk.

• anderson_tbh@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is NOT completed. I agree with all of the comments below, so wont repeat the problem. I got here from some link that said I could vote for your doing a fix or not...but I dont see that here! I DO vote YES, fix it!

• George Inman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do I delete subscriptions without clicking on each link and thereby confirming my email address, which will lead to more spam junk?

I have been a hotmail user for about 12 years, but will have to look for another email provider if I cannot stop the unwanted emails which total about 100 a day!

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Unfortunately selecting the 'Unsubscribe' link at the top of an email often results in a notice a few hours later that the unsubscribe request was refused. The same happens when selecting unsubscribe from within outlook.com settings. The outlook.com subscription protocol is totally broken and seems to be easily abused by spammers.

Unfortunately selecting the 'Unsubscribe' link at the top of an email often results in a notice a few hours later that the unsubscribe request was refused. The same happens when selecting unsubscribe from within outlook.com settings. The outlook.com subscription protocol is totally broken.

• WK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not a good response. These emails are not "from other senders who have your email address". They are just dictionary enumerations of email addresses, and the unsubscribe action serves to inform the spammers that the email is valid. The Outlook.com spam filter should apply its machine learning to subscription emails and have an option where a user can mark a subscription as a "spam subscription", thus blocking all future mail from that source without informing the spammer with verification that the email exists.

• Carl Mongrue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update, the biggest issue is that "Subscriptions" are being added in outlook for messages in the JUNK folder, and since they are really bogus, you CANNOT delete them, I realize they are not a "subscription" as such, but they clog up the REAL list. Also the "Block email" only are sent to the junk email folder rather than actually BLOCKING it. It actually says "Move email from these senders or domains to my Junk Folder. Again the issue is two fold. Hopes this helps fix the issues.

• one_1L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Moderator, YOU ARE NOT FULLY UNDERSTANDING THE COMPLAINT AND NOT UNDERSTANDING WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH THE SUBSCRIPTION LIST. SO PLEASE ADDRESS THIS AND UNDERSTAND THE SPECIFICS OF THE ISSUE.

The specific issue with Outlook Subscription List in the settings was not addressed.

Yes for some of the Subscription emails on list, we can click on the individual email links to easily unsubscribe to the email address BUT the issue is that in order to unsubscribe from the majority of the subscription emails on the list which are spam phishing emails, the user is actually taken to the suspect email address website which most likely will infect individual's computer when getting onto their site.

So this feature Outlook > Settings > Subscription > to Unsubscribe is putting everyone who tries to delete and or remove and or unsubscribe to the bulk of these email subscriptions which are spam phishing sites, we are left to visit these sites with no other alternative to remove them from the Outlook Subscription list.

PLEASE LET USERS OF OUTLOOK THE ABILITY TO DELETE THESE EMAILS ADDRESSES ON THE SUBSCRIPTION LIST WITHOUT HAVING US GET ONTO THESE SPAM SITES. IT NOT NECESSARILY ONLY TO UNSUBSCRIBE BUT RATHER TO GET THESE SITES REMOVED FROM OUR LISTS.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base