OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

New experiences in Outlook.com

Problem with "Manage Subscriptions" & Junk Email

Within the past 2 weeks I've been receiving excessive junk mail in my inbox, and most of it relates to subscriptions that I did not request, but which now show under Manage Subscriptions. I keep blocking the emails and have unsubscribed to the subscriptions in the mail tools, but I never had this problem before.

28 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gerri shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ralphcarter13@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add check boxes by each subscription so we can do a mass delete. Do not allow subscriptions to be added to the list without a confirmation by the owner.... stop auto filling this list using whatever convoluted method now in use.

FORGET the please... just do it

• Pissed With Outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This "feature" needs to be removed. Most of the "Subscriptions" are SPAM / malware-related. I can delete some them OK, but others either link you to an "Unsubscribe" site (read: "Security Risk") that may or may not work, or throw the "Couldn't unsubscribe: We couldn't remove your subscription. Please try again later? error. Whoever invented / implemented this needs to be FIRED. Meanwhile, my Junk folder AND my Inbox are getting flooded with this garbage. FIX THIS, FIRE the "engineer" (note use of quotation marks) that built this.

• Nicole Kinney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please remove this option! This is totally useless and I get more junk mail now than I ever did! Blocking doesn't even seem to help as I have blocked the domain and still comes thru. The unsubscribe at the top of emails only brings more spam. There should be an option to ADD an email to show under subscriptions, it should NOT be automatically added for us especially since most of it is spam.

• kincryos@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

at least Outlook warns where the unsubscribe link is, that's a start.
        while risky, some can be removed by closing the new tab before it loads.
        many however, don't even link to websites and Outlook doesn't see it as invalid/suspicious nor provides an option to delete them.
        a few simply copied the unsubscribe URL of legit unsubscribe pages in order to look legit, and funny enough, those URLs contain data used to login as the throwaway account used to reach them.

• T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am frustratingly attempting to delete and limit junk email. I have attempted from the "subscriptions" menu in outlook, to no avail. There has to be a way to delete/un-subscribe from spam email. Please fix this. I keep blocking emails and they are finding new addresses to post from. I have never received this amount of junk before.

• Anoonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Counter to most of the people here I think it's a great idea to have the ability to manage subscriptions. I sincerely doubt that Microsoft signed us all up for spam subscriptions. More than likely they are testing some AI spam filtering option and the subscriptions everyone currently sees is what came up in applying the new intelligence. I for one am looking forward to a spam free email account and am willing to suffer a bit of inconvenience to get there.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would outlook allow emails that were not asked for and make it impossible for users to remove? Some of these emails and ad's are filthy. I'm constantly blocking the same emails or sending them as phishing. Nothing has worked. You've allowed a serious security issue occur for your customer's. You need to remove this.

• Mike Glenn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

P.S. I don't recommend clicking on unsubscribe buttons to any unknown sources--even from a secure sandbox--as it will potentially expose you to increased spam once your email address is confirmed as active.

• Mike Glenn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new Outlook.com Settings -> Mail -> Subscriptions feature is poorly conceived and not suitable for public release. The list in my account contains numerous spam sources that I don't recognize, never interacted with and certainly would not have subscribed to. Worst of all, there's no way to remove subscriptions I never requested other than by clicking an unsubscribe button which links directly to these dodgy websites. This is extremely insecure and potentially exposes Outlook users to malware as well as increased exposure to spam. I browsed to a couple of these unsubscribe links from a secure sandbox and found the links were invalid/broken, so even if Microsoft has some kind of deal with these sources of spam, the entities are not keeping up their end of the bargain. I'm curious who approved this feature for public release in its current form.

• C BZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've only just noticed this new feature yesterday. A boat load of subcriptions that I never added, visited, blocked or responded to. Someone here on the help board said not worry so much about all of the spam email as "it's doing it's job" by keeping them in the junk email box and not the inbox. Just delete/empty out the junk mail box and you'll notice you'll receive less mail over a period of time. It was the only thing I can do not to receive ****, hot date, pill spam. Now this new feature it's like has me worried this is why I keep receiving this junk, i somehow MYSTERIOUSLY subscribe to this b.s.

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this is a major problem. Why won't Outlook address how subscriptions get added? Explain the process EVEN if you are not going to do anything about it.... Then perhaps we can figure out what we can do to stop it as customers. Of course that assumes that Outlook will ignore this problem.... It is a shame. Please address the problem by explaining how it is happening!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

also, an even bigger problem. noting "i did not request"; how do all these subscriptions get in the list when not requested or sites not visited????? very bad.

Also, many of these you cannot unsubscribe to. is says we will direct you to their web site to unsubscribe. That is like opening a web site from an email. This in contrary to safe web practices. I'm even afraid to go to the sites to unsubscribe to them. they are bogus in the first place and shouldn't be in any list associated with my email. this IS A MAJOR SECURITY CONCERN AND ISSUE

New experiences in Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base