OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Deleted items re-appearing

Getting really sixk of deleting emails only to have them reappear multiple times.

319 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for submitting feedback on this issue. We are actively investigating what may be occurring here and plan to address this issue as quickly as possible. Whenever possible, please also include your browser and browser version so we can better isolate the problem. Thanks for your continued help!

427 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Robert Smithesen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As of today, I am having the same problem with my gmail accounts using Outlook 2016 and also the all mail doesn't appear in two of my gmail accounts

• Edsel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same with mine! 13, 400 items cannot be deleted. Causes my other folder reached its max size because of this!

• Marcee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm holding my breath, but instead of trying to delete those emails while in outlook, I went to my gmail site and deleted them there and so far they are staying out when I go back to outlook.

• videshi2001 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Deleting emails often doesn't work! They just come back a moment later, without hitting undo. Also, the little checkmarks have to be clicked PERFECTLY or you enter an email.
    This UI is genuinely poor, and doesn't work. Why? Why do this? I've been using this since 2001 and never have I wanted to leave so much.
    Also, THIS REPORTING TOOL BROKE AND HAD TO BE RELOADED.

• Kit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Deleted items won't stay deleted. Using Webmail, on Firefox v66.0.3 (64 bit). I do have a lot of messages in the deleted folder - 22K maybe? - but I can't tell for sure because there is a banner across the bottom of the window with the typically unhelpful message "You may still be able to recover items that have been deleted from this folder. (0 items recoverable)" with buttons "Recover deleted items" and "Learn more". There doesn't appear to be any way to get rid of it..

• minaprower13 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to clean up my mailbox that is completely full and cannot send or receive any more messages. Anything that is deleted and sent to the "Deleted Items" folder, when I try to empty the folder so the messages in there can be permanently deleted to free up space, it's not deleting them like it's supposed to do. When I come back, everything is still there and has not been deleted.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am trying to delete emails from my inbox but they go back into my inbox a few seconds later. I tried 3 times to delete them and they keep coming back. As a result my inbox is getting clogged with emails I don't want . This has been going on for months.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

quite frankly Outlook's now long stanbding inability to delete emails makes it useless. I see no useful fixes or suggestions from the Outlook team.
    This is an recurring issue the Outlook team can't seem to fix and as such we are better off switching to GMail at least it works the way its supposed to and we can manage our emails the way we want.

• Mario Berthelet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

emails in outlook mobile app cant be deleted from
    any mailbox. browsers up to date.
    they go and come back...
    use browsers... samsung, Firefox or Chrome but normally samsung all these

• Beatrice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same thing is happening to me. it's very very annoying and cannot find any workaround. please advise

anyone need a quick fix, what worked for me is not doing an empty folder but instead selected a bunch at a time (click one and hold shift) and then deleting. They seem to be staying away. Not ideal since I still have 79,000 to delete but at least email started to come through.

• ShellsTX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a user with over 70,000 messages that keep coming back (all deleted permanently). Trying to figure out a powershell command to get rid of them from Exchange Online.

If you use Outlook on a computer:
    1) Go to Deleted Items folder
    2) On menu bar at top, click on "Recover Deleted Items"
    3) In pop-up list of deleted emails, select those that keep coming back
    4) At bottom of pop-up window, click on "Purge Selected Items"
    5) Click on OK
    6) Click OK again in warning window that appears

• Arthur Vaso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This happening to me right now, happens often, one of many factors is making the outlook app so unstable and completely unusuable.

• Russ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Happened to me the last few days. I keep getting a notification of an email (which as been deleted) to read. When I go into Outlook in my samsung galaxy, it says I can't read it because it has been deleted. This just started happening when Outlook was updated.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base