OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

New experiences in Outlook.com

Infinite scroll makes it impossible to get to old emails

Previous iterations of outlook.com have used pagination or viewport scrolling to allow me to accurately jump to any point in the middle of my inbox. The new layout, however, uses infinite scrolling, meaning that if I want to view a message more than a few days old, I have to scroll to the bottom, wait for a few messages to load, scroll to the bottom, wait for more messages to load, ad infinitum.

In fact, I can't any way in the new inbox of jumping to a historical email. If I can remember that I received an email at the beginning of last month, I don't seem to have any way of jumping right to it - previously I could just scroll to the right point or go to the right page.

Please consider adding back in either pagination or viewport scrolling, as infinite scroll is not a suitable technique for an email inbox.

3,499 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

166 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • patriciaferber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want my old Outlook back! My computer is barely working and e-mailing is making me want to scream! Shame on you in changing to your ideas of what we want!

• JC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess you are still "working on" fixing the scrolling problem. As you work on it, my undeleted old email keeps growing and growing. I am not going to scroll/wait, scroll/wait, and scroll/wait to get to the old email I want to delete. Are you anywhere closer to having this problem fixed?

• Genevieve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

j ai le même problème et c'est vraiment TRES TRES CHIANT. A quand la résolution de ce qui n'est qu'un bug ou le fruit d'un cahier des charges ficelé à la va vite sans tenir compte d'une utilisation sensée !!!!

• jonathanstilp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really stressful. Could we get a "guess-timated" time to have this fixed? Because you guys really screwed sh*t up.

• Wendy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The display jumps all around and I can't select an email easily. The scrolling is unusable and slow if I can get it to work at all.

There's no way to select emails to delete unless you want to select them individually or select everything in the in-box (who would even want to do that?).

Why would Microsoft think less functionality was a good thing? I hate this new Outlook and it is very frustrating to use to the point where I find it almost useless. I've had a paid account for over 20 years, but I am not paying for this version. I'm disgusted with it.

• Elizabeth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, you could add a 'Go to' feature which you click on and insert the date you want to go to in your emails.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about...instead of another update that we don't really want...you actually roll-back to the version of HOTMAIL, not Outlook, that we actually want!

• bettyboop5757 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

also, infinite scrolling makes it impossible to choose a smaller number of emails to delete, If I place a check box in the Inbox, it checks all of them, listerally thousands of them, I do not want to delete all of my emails, I want to delete 25-30 at a time. Can you change the inbox check back to checking only about 30 emails and not all? otherwise, it is too time consuming for me to go down each page and click on each individual email that I want to delete. Help!

• Michel Schuessler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this sucks I cant get to old E-Mails it's impossible!!!
        I need to be able to get to my old E-Mails!!!!
        they are there for a reason!

• Paul Archer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this issue is called
        "Infinite Scroll" that would suggest I would be able to scroll down to older pages. Not so. I can only view one page of my most recent emails, WTF.
        What am I missing here? I've hit every icon that's available with no luck. AND SPENDING SOOO MUCH TIME WITHOUT A SOLUTION, ******* ME OFF. This version is an improvement? BS,
        it's ****. I'm really considering dropping Microsoft all together and buying a Mac. Take that you knot-heads!

just so you know, the slowness is horrible. and, please don't disregard it as a performance issue. it's a usability issue. being unable to find emails quickly that were sent just a few weeks ago is not sustainable.

its soooooooooooo hard to get to the older emails back dated..i kept scrolling and scrolling down and it sooooooooo low and usually it laggs or it froze for awhile before i can scroll down again plz plz plz put page numbers from newest to older dates coz using SEARCH box is difficult coz i dont even remember the titles or the names of the senders and what topic i am after

• Daniel Bryant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

infinite scrolling is finite, with no page two. How do I actually search for things with this interface?

• cyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FIX THIS NOW!!!!

THE ONLY WAY I CAN SEE MORE THAN THE FIRST 10 EMAILS IS TO MAKE THE FONT SIZE SO FRIGGIN TINY THAT I CAN BARELY READ IT...AND THEN THIS DOESN'T EVEN FIX THE PROBLEM COMPLETELY

MAKE IT SO i CAN GET TO MY OLD E-MAILS WITHOUT IT RESETING YOU AMATURES THAT CAN'T EVEN GET THAT RIGHT.

• Jay Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is anyone out there working with Microsoft to solve this browser scrolling problem? If so, do you have a status update? Does anyone know if the update to Outlook on 11/30/18 (Outlook team are rolling out a new UI for Outlook.com) is addressing this problem. The questions in my emails submitted via the hotmail/outlook web page, and my phone call to MS Support have gotten irrelevant answers, such as use your mobile device and use the Outlook App in Office 365.

• Kase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot get my older emails, and its taken me 10 minutes to just get this comment typed, due to bad service. I used to like my hotmail....what happened???

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

New experiences in Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base