OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

New experiences in Outlook.com

Can no longer drag & drop emails to folders

Can no longer drag and drop emails to folders. It only works if that email is not the current one open. So if I have only one email left in my inbox (I like to keep my inbox empty) I can't drag and drop that last remaining email because that one is "open" I have to click on the little circle to the left of the email, then from the drop down folder menu click on the folder I want it to go to. This is more time consuming .This is using google chrome and IE and from other computers as well, both PC and Mac.

1,142 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jennifer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Working on it  ·  AdminOutlook.com Moderator (Admin, Outlook.com) responded  · 

We’ve identified a bug in IE browsers related to drag & drop emails into folders and have a fix coming soon. We will update this post when a fix is ready.

Thank you for raising this issue to us and your patience as we resolve it.

110 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • air4smom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Goodbye Hotmail ! I have enough confusion in my life, don't need to deal with this mess !

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every 'up-date' FORCED on we older folk just interferes with something which was simple, clear & manageable! Make haste slowly AND responsibly!
        If Apple can make changes to their OS, using your 'OUTLOOK', WHY cant you?

• apollospacemarc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

Thanks for your kind help!

I have a further problem. I have somehow lost all my SENT EMAILS (MESSAGES ENVOYER ) from November 2018 back to June 2017. They are not there anymore. Can you please recuperate them?
        Thank you!

Marco Baccini

• bubba777m commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why did u change anything. was great before.
        when u do this makes us lok for a new email provider

• mainst361@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All of this so called "upgrading" and "enhancement" is for the birds. This used to be a pretty straight forward, simple e-mail program. Now its loaded with unnecessary colored symbols which both increase the line height and add to the confusion. You can only see half as many messages on the page before having to scroll down. Your team should have left a good thing alone and not messed with it. I'm glad you have found a bug related to the drag and drop feature and hope you restore things to their original functionality. BTW, the problem never existed until you went screwing with things. I guess you guys have never heard of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"??? The best thing you could do is dump this "new and enhanced" **** and restore things to the previous version. It worked fine.

• Mary Beth McCormick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why on earth would you remove the drag & drop feature from the emails folders? I could easily move from one folder to the other, but no more. Then when I moved using the drop down menu, it would not give me the option to move to a subfolder. Took me 10 **** minutes to accomplish a 10-second task. Very stupid move on your part OUTLOOK!!!

• EARL COPLEY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would any programmer who uses Outlook do away with drag-and-drop? Why was this simple idea of drag-and-drop beneath you?

• guhler409 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These may be the stupidest changes you have made yet. Can no longer drag and drop saved messages to folders - must go to "move to" which takes a lot more time. Colored symbols distracting and cause much enlarged row height making fewer messages visible. Easier and faster at this point to go directly to Outlook where these nuisance changes don't exist. BTW, I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like this latest round of "improvements" is for the birds.

How can we drag and drop message from folder to folder. The outlook Hotmail has been changed and since then it is a nightmare moving items. Why do you change simple things to such long processes and causing users endless problems.
        Going the process of using drop down folder menu doesn't even go to a 3rd level of folders and it is impossible to find the folder you want when one has many levels of folders
        Can you please sort this out.

• mainst361@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These may be the stupidest changes you have made yet. Can no longer drag and drop saved messages to folders - must go to "move to" which takes a lot more time. Colored symbols distracting and cause much enlarged row height making fewer messages visible. Easier and faster at this point to go directly to Outlook where these nuisance changes don't exist. BTW, I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like this latest round of "improvements" is for the birds.

Lost ability to drag and drop email in folders. Very inconvenient and new options are time consuming and inconvenient.

Windows 10. Edge. Lenovo PC and HP laptop,

• DeltaRanger509 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Drag & drop broken in Edge. Emails cannot be picked up from the Inbox mail listing and dropped into folders for organization. Works fine in Chrome. This worked (in Edge) as recently as yesterday for me. Refreshing the page does not fix the issue.

• jan-blaas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why in the world is the functionality to move messages with the mouse removed??? I'm going to use Gmail now, outlook isn't functioning well anymore.

• Mike Godsey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am 98% sure this is an unintended bug. But a really inconvenient one. Not only must you select an item, select Move to folder, but the folders are not organized in the way I see them in my folder list so it's quite a bit more cumbersome to move mail to a folder now.

• dim.kotsas@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Beta version is not better at all. I can no longer drag and drop emails to folders or move a subfolder to a different folder. Need immediately to go back to the old version which was much more better

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

New experiences in Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base